Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you have to travel w/ barf bags? :)

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:42 pm
Every time we go somewhere, whether by car or plane, we have to make sure we have bags for my kids, just in case Rolling Eyes . This is of course for only 1 hour or more rides. My dh just took the kids for a 2 1/2 hour ride and of course he remembered on his own to bring bags. He's had too many experiences when he didn't have one.

When we went to the states this past time, I went with 3 kids and my dh left later with the other 2. The day he came, my sister went to pick him up. Mind you, she never ended up makng it and he ended up coming by taxi, but on the way, he called me to tell me to have a bath ready because the 5 yr old threw up all over himself. This was after they got off the plane and wasn't prepared. Wait, that's not all! My sister called me to tell me that my 7 yr old who went with her for the ride also threw up all over himself.

When we came back home, I took all the barf bags that was by our seats on the plane and took them for the ride home. Sadly, we needed one of them.

I'm sorry if you don't like the word barf, but it's shorter than vomit, throw up, etc... LOL
So, do you also have to travel with bags???

SivanMom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 12:53 pm
Yes we definitely do. For DD 22 months it's generally pointless as she's too young to tell me when she needs it. But DS 3.5 is a pro and makes no mess anymore, which is such a relief. Cleaning those carseats are a pain in the neck.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:15 pm
Yes. But not for my kids, for me!!!

We have a huge stash that we keep in the car.

Last edited by manhattanmom on Fri, May 28 2010, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:15 pm
yes, both of my kids are prone to motion sickness. poor things.
I don't want to give them medication as they get very drowsy. They don't like ginger either.
We travel with multiple "sickie bag", it's always a bit nervous when they have to go on a coach for a school outing. Does anyone else use that wrist rubber band with a plastic ball? Not sure if it works actually but placebo effect alone seems to work sometimes on my kids.

manhattanmom

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 1:17 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
yes, both of my kids are prone to motion sickness. poor things.
I don't want to give them medication as they get very drowsy. They don't like ginger either.
We travel with multiple "sickie bag", it's always a bit nervous when they have to go on a coach for a school outing. Does anyone else use that wrist rubber band with a plastic ball? Not sure if it works actually but placebo effect alone seems to work sometimes on my kids.

Those wrist things don't work when I use them (for myself)
There are some types of dramamine that are non-drowsy.
And if we're going somewhere at night, it's okay if they're drowsy....

louche

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 2:27 pm
we used to. the kids grew out of it at some point, but I still find myslef buyng ginger candy and chewing gum for road trips, and asking the kids every so often if they feel ok.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 3:41 pm
SivanMom wrote:
Yes we definitely do. For DD 22 months it's generally pointless as she's too young to tell me when she needs it.

So, I don't think it worked out so bad, 2 out of 4 threw up and 1 out of 2 did it in the bag LOL . The one that didn't make it in the bag was the 2 1/2 yr old. Can you blame him?

My 11 yr old used to, but b"h grew out of it, bl"h, b"h!!

shanie5

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 6:45 pm
As a kid I used to get sick in the car EVERY DAY on the way to day camp. B"H I grew out of it. But if I read in the car, I start feeling sick and must stop.

I dont travel w/ barf bags as car sickness not typical in my kids, but I have regreted not having them a time or 2.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 28 2010, 7:38 pm
I hardly go anyplace, and if I did, I'd only ride in the front of the bus. I never throw up anymore.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 3:49 pm
Yup! Can't go w/o it!

Strawberry

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 4:07 pm
Yup. For me and ds. I was terrible as a kid but eventually grew out of it...until my first pregnancy. It has been downhill from there. My 2 year old ds just started throwing up but he is too young to tell me before so the cleanup is not fun.

Last edited by Strawberry on Sun, May 30 2010, 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total

suomynona

Post Sat, May 29 2010, 5:03 pm
Yes, even for a 5 minute drive!

CrunchyNotFlakey

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 2:46 am
I put bibs on the kids who might Puke

I also put towels down between the care seats. In a pinch, a blanket will do something. I can't imagine getting my 17 month old to puke in a bag. I just to catch the puke before it soaks into my dd's clothes.

mamacita

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 11:37 pm
I have the pleasure of holding one for dh every time we fly :spew: grosses me out but the poor guy is not a good flyer. b"H doesn't happen when we drive, I'm the one who feels sick then, although I don't throw up.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:32 pm
Strawberry wrote:
Yup. For me and ds. I was terrible as a kid but eventually grew out of it...until my first pregnancy. It has been downhill from there. My 2 year old ds just started throwing up but he is too young to tell me before so the cleanup is not fun.

Me too. I had it bad as a kid, then I was fine for a long time. In my first pregnancy it was terrible! and since then it's only gotten worse--even when I'm not pregnant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics