Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you make cholent in the summer?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:01 pm
rivkyf wrote:
Defenetly! whats shabbos without Cholent or chicken soup!?!?!? not that I always eat chicken soup but cholent I would't eather pass up. And Besides theres a reason behind having HOT Food for shabbos. Its To show that the group of poeple ( which I forgot what they were called) Were wrong for not having any light or heat at all during shabbos. The Chachomim tell us to have it on before. (Sorry If im not remembering exactly anyone can help remind me).

I believe you're talking about the Tzedokim.
You could have a cup of hot tea or coffee for the same reason. There's no halacha that you must eat hot food on Shabbat, just something hot. A hot drink is just as good.

To answer the OP, no chulent on shabbat in the summer or winter. (No chicken soup either.)
We eat roast beef or lahmagine or chicken cutlets or turkey or various other meat main dishes on Shabbat. Sometimes cold, but more often hot.

new-here

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:21 pm
Pineapple wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
(We only eat chicken soup friday night. Still trying to figure out the best way to keep that warm without keeping the stove/blech on. I wish I had a thermous.)

A few mintues before you betch licht put it up to boil then turn off the flame and right awy wrap a towel around it very well - we do this and when I open up the pot its steaming

I do that too. I wrap it in a towel, and in a blanket. It is extremely hot when I take it out over 2 hours later!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:28 pm
shabbes aint shabbes without chulent

sandyb

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:30 pm
I just bought the magic mill crockpot for my cholent and I love the cover of it. It has this deep inverted kind of lid and it fits the storage size foil pan perfectly. Thats where the soup goes and on top of that the chicken and kugel and Presto! no more stove/blech/hotplate for me.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:36 pm
faithohave wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
(We only eat chicken soup friday night. Still trying to figure out the best way to keep that warm without keeping the stove/blech on. I wish I had a thermous.)

A few mintues before you betch licht put it up to boil then turn off the flame and right awy wrap a towel around it very well - we do this and when I open up the pot its steaming

I do that too. I wrap it in a towel, and in a blanket. It is extremely hot when I take it out over 2 hours later!
I used to do that years ago too. But I found that it only stayed steaming if the soup was just cooked. When I took out a container of soup from the fridge, heated it to boiling, wrapped it... it didn't stay steaming.
I'll be using this method anyway. Hot soup instead of steaming soup is still better than a hot house all Shabbos.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:40 pm
sandyb wrote:
I just bought the magic mill crockpot for my cholent and I love the cover of it. It has this deep inverted kind of lid and it fits the storage size foil pan perfectly. Thats where the soup goes and on top of that the chicken and kugel and Presto! no more stove/blech/hotplate for me.

I have that one too and we love it!

I don't like making or eating cholent during the summer but my husband has to have it every week and my son loves it. Keeping the crockpot on heats up my entire kitchen, living room and dinning area even if I have the AC on but I make it anyway because my family loves it. It's a shabbos staple in our house.

Ronit

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 12:59 am
Pineapple wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I do exactly the same (but usually keep the towel wrapped pot in the shut oven) & it works perfect. Actually with all the friday night food, so all I have on is the cholent in the crockpot.

yummydd

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 1:04 am
Cholent is the best part of the shabbos meal! We all love it so its definitly a must by us....(besides its tradition...)

mae1984

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 6:32 am
I make it very rarely even in the winter. I can't stand the stuff.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 6:41 am
I never make cholent, summer or winter.
chicken soup I make when its freezing outside, so not always either.

hipstamom

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 3:47 pm
No. I love myself too much! This heat wave is brutal, especially w/o AC. I've been putting my plata on a timer and it helps a lot.

Anyone who can eat cholent during the summer has a cast iron stomach.

hipstamom

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 3:54 pm
rivkyf wrote:
Defenetly! whats shabbos without Cholent or chicken soup!?!?!? not that I always eat chicken soup but cholent I would't eather pass up. And Besides theres a reason behind having HOT Food for shabbos. Its To show that the group of poeple ( which I forgot what they were called) Were wrong for not having any light or heat at all during shabbos. The Chachomim tell us to have it on before. (Sorry If im not remembering exactly anyone can help remind me).

I think you are thinking of Karaites; they don't accept the Oral Law.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 3:58 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
shabbes aint shabbes without chulent

what she said. It's even lunch with kugel, farfel and kishka friday afternoon.

Tehilla

Post Fri, Jul 09 2010, 3:58 pm
sandyb wrote:

Sounds interesting! Which one did you buy? I saw there were a few on amazon. Is there anyone who doesn't use it for any reason?

shaini

Post Sat, Jul 10 2010, 6:20 am
I also have done something similar to Pineapple for keeping food hot.when necessary. I found that prior to wrapping the food in a towel, wrap it in layers of newspaper and then the towel, also I would sometimes heat the food in the microwave just before shabbas and then wrap it in the newspaper and towels but I usually find for these methods to work really well the must be piping hot before being wrapped.

Yakira

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:24 am
Our first cholent-less shabbos was great. All the guests and family loved the chicken and loads of salads. We felt much lighter and will be trying this again!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 12:53 am
No, but I stopped making even before summer hit. Kids got bored of it. DH and I always had too much left over no matter how much we ate or how small we attempted to make the cholent and we rarely had enough company to polish it off. We both feel much healthier having a big salad with grilled chicken sliced in, or chicken salad, chicken/pasta salad, or something along those lines.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:49 am
My dh made shabbes osso bucco this week. Despite the huge heat we finished it!

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 7:46 am
double post

Last edited by Mirabelle on Sun, Jul 11 2010, 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 7:48 am
I have been on a liquid diet for the past 3 weeks (don't worry, under a doctor's supervision) and the one thing that I am cravvvvving is shobbos chulent! I don't care how hot it is!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus