Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Give me your best sufganiyot recipe!!

fish123

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 8:47 pm
I'm throwing a chanukah party for some patients at work and would love to be able to make sufganiyot with them. does anyone have a delicious recipe they can share with me? would be a great kiddush hashem Smile

Thanks!!!

shaini

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 6:24 am
I'll post you one tomorrow my time (hope you can wait that long), that is if you want a yeast version. I made them 2 years in a row and they came out fine. They also have a chocolate glaze.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 8:43 am
just found this recipe online. It looks great but you do need a bread machine for it. I have a batch of dough in the machine now and will let you now how they come out. IME experience bread machine recipes do not come out the same when you use a mixer or do it by hand.

from here: http://momgrind.com/2010/11/29.....cipe/

Ingredients

1 cup whole milk – warm it for 30 seconds in the microwave (I used soy milk since my bread machine is pareve)
1/3 cup water
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons melted butter (used oil)
3/4 cup white sugar
4 1/2 cups bread flour (find it next to the other flours at your supermarket)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon bread machine yeast (find it next to the flour at your supermarket. Make sure it’s fresh)
Strawberry jelly – this is the traditional filling but you can use any other flavor; some like to fill their sufganiyot with a chocolate spread such as Nutella or with dulce de leche.
2 quarts Canola oil for deep frying

Directions

1. In a bread machine pan add the milk, water, beaten egg, melted butter, sugar, bread flour, salt and yeast in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Set machine to the dough cycle. In my machine this takes 1.5 hours.

2. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a floured board. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

3. Roll dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or a floured drinking glass, cut out about 20 circles.

I’m pretty sure mine are thicker than 1/4 inch – probably more like 1/2 inch:

4. Place rounds on a greased baking sheet. Cover and place in a warm place (a 100-degree F oven is great). Let rise until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.

5. Heat oil in an electric deep fryer to 365 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry one layer of doughnuts at a time, about 1 minute on each side.

6. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Some of them are perfectly round. Other are a little odd-shaped. That’s OK. (And if Miss Perfection DeLeeuw says it’s OK, then you know it really is OK).

7. Allow sufganiyot to cool for about 10 minutes. Fit a pastry bag with a thin, elongated tip – I use tip #230 from this cupcake decorating kit. Fit the tip into the side of each doughnut and pipe 1-2 teaspoons of jam into doughnut.

8. Generously dust with powdered sugar and serve. (I think caster or granulated sugar will work as well,like the bakeries use)

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:16 am
I make this recipe every year. I double it and there's not a crumb left. I usually do some custard filling for those allergic to dairy. So I fry those first. It is best fresh off the stove when the caramel is still melted.

4 1/2 cups flour
100 grams (1/2 cup) margarine (or butter)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
30 grams dry yeast
1 cup warm water (or some milk)

Caramel or custard filling. (I tried both and the caramel won hands down.  )
Place flour and salt into bowl; cut in margarine until crumbly. Add eggs, make a well in the center, add water, sugar, yeast. Cover and let it sit for 10 minutes as is. Mix until it becomes a dough. Cover and let rise again for 30 minutes. Mix again.
(Do not double this recipe, because it rises yielding a lot more than you think.)

Roll out a section of the dough, so it's thin, but not transparent. Press a glass cup into half of the rolled out dough, but don't cut it out yet. Add filling in the center of each circle. Fold dough over the bumps of the filling. With the same glass, press firmly around each bump and twist while cutting the dough. This will seal the filling into the center of each sufganiyah. Keep doing this until they're all filled and twisted shut. Let them rise for 30-40 minutes, until they look puffed up. Heat a dairy pot, half full of oil (put a carrot in the oil to prevent burning (ed note: it really works, I once ran out of carrots and they were inedible, black and ugly...)) Fry for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels. After five minutes, sprinkle with confection sugar (optional).

shirgal

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 9:58 am
I've never made them before, but this recipe from www.GourmetKosherCooking.com looks pretty easy and yummy, and seems like a twist on the normal sufganiyot:

http://www.gourmetkoshercookin.....pote/

b'hatzlacha!

-shira
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus