Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Bored Stiff-New Recipes?
1  2  Next

Merrymom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 12:17 pm
I'm a good cook BH" but I don't want to serve the same old, same old for Succos. So my question is what is your absolute most favorite dish that you'd serve to the ultimate honored guest? That's the kind of dishes that I'm looking for. Ideas anyone?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 12:21 pm
Go over your best recipes from the whole years. That's what I do before Rosh HaShana, and portion them out over the whole month.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 12:55 pm
There are so many great recipes here -- my family's amazed how many new things I've been making (I've been married over 35 years). Just look through them and read the comments and see what appeals to you.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 12:58 pm
You may want to make a list of: foods for RH. foods for before the fast. foods for sukkot, etc. Make a list of foods you like to serve at these time, and stick to it year after year. It won't get "old" since it's only once a year and you won't have to think so much. You just pull out the list before the holiday, and get cooking.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 3:58 pm
In our house its pumpkin stew-a beef stew made on the stovetop, then poured into a hollowed out pumpkin and baked till pumpkin is soft. The whole pumpkin is brought to the table with a serving spoon, and you scrape some pumpkin out with the stew when serving.

Yum!!

This is my kids absolute favorite, and we have friends who request coming for the meal I make it for.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:03 pm
shanie5 wrote:
In our house its pumpkin stew-a beef stew made on the stovetop, then poured into a hollowed out pumpkin and baked till pumpkin is soft. The whole pumpkin is brought to the table with a serving spoon, and you scrape some pumpkin out with the stew when serving.

Yum!!

This is my kids absolute favorite, and we have friends who request coming for the meal I make it for.

that sounds yummy but its a few weeks till pumpkins will be in the shops. can you sub butternut squash? and any beef stew?

Burrrberry

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:06 pm
I second Bubby. There have been amazing recipes posted especially now around the Yomim Tovim.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:07 pm
I guessi would serve a really good roast. but thats $$$$$$.

you also have to take into account which foods survive being prepared earlier well, or which foods need to be served fresh.

but yes, read the sukkos and rosh hashana recipe threads - you will get some ideas.

If I were the honoured duest I'd love to be served food that is maybe not so expensive, but time consuming to make and therefore I rarely make it. I save those types of things for yom tov.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:32 pm
Raisin wrote:
shanie5 wrote:

Yum!!

that sounds yummy but its a few weeks till pumpkins will be in the shops. can you sub butternut squash? and any beef stew?

I have seen pumpkins here already, so its not a problem for me. Though it is a bit early in the season. I dont think butternut squash would work as the stew wont fit in. I use an 8-10 pound pumpkin. I think any beef stew recipe should work- I use the one that came with the original idea.

ally

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:37 pm
shanie5 wrote:

Yum!!

That sounds amazing.

tziviakayla

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:31 pm
A few family favorites for Sukkos:
Pumpkin Muffins
Pumpkin Soup
Sweet Potato Pie
Butternut Squash Pie

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:44 pm
BTW there is a canned pumpkin shortage again this year.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:06 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
BTW there is a canned pumpkin shortage again this year.

thanx for the warning-I'll stock up now for my pumpkin cake

greeneyes

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 9:51 am
Here are just a few of my favorites off the top of my head:

In KBD there is a great recipe for acorn squash halves filled with cranberries. It is delicious & the presentation is beautiful. I try to buy the tiniest acorn squashes I can find, so that each half is one serving. I like serving this when I have company, because it looks so pretty and tastes good too.

Also in KBD, there is an apple crunch galette recipe that is fabulous. I serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream & it is heavenly.

In KBD short on time, the moroccan meat turnovers are a great appetizer.

In KBD entertains, the yellow split pea soup with flanken is really delicious. It was posted in this thread:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....t+pea

Also in KBD entertains, the chopped salad with honey mustard dressing is excellent. Oldyoung posted it in this thread:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....dijon

In KBD lightens up, there's a lentil zucchini soup served with baked egg roll wrappers that's really unique & delicious.

In this thread, MOM222 posted an incredible ice cream recipe. I made it & served it with a brownie & some fresh strawberries & it was amazing:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....cream

Can you tell I like Suzie Fishbein's cookbooks? LOL

Happy cooking!

Merrymom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 11:53 am
Greeneyes, is there any chance that you can post the apple crunch galette?

Also, does anyone have a good breaded chicken that is served with a good sauce like a lemon chicken, or general tso's or something like that that you have tried and can vouch for?

greeneyes

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 8:39 pm
The recipe is posted here: (scroll down a bit)

http://www.chef2chef.net/news/.....1.htm

It's amazing!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 7:15 am
How far in advance can the apple crunch galette be made and kept refrigerated?

Thanks.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 12:40 pm
A day or 2 in advance is fine for sure. Longer than that, I'm not sure because I haven't done it.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 1:29 pm
greeneyes wrote:
A day or 2 in advance is fine for sure. Longer than that, I'm not sure because I haven't done it.

Thanks. I just made it (for tomorrow night). What I really could use is a picture of it (I really wonder if it is supposed to look like mine came out) -- I've googled and didn't find one.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 2:58 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

Thanks. I just made it (for tomorrow night). What I really could use is a picture of it (I really wonder if it is supposed to look like mine came out) -- I've googled and didn't find one.

Yeah, someone saw it cooling and suggested I should have used a spring form pan and I put on as many airs as I could summon and said, This is a rustic galette.

That just makes it more authentic Twisted Evil
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus