Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Girl names starting with "G" that aren't "Gab
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:23 am
Gioia, Guta, Gemara, Gella, Geila...

milchigs

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:24 am
Sorry to go completely off topic, but, out of curiosity, what is the reason you would like to name your child with one beginning with a G?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:27 am
Don't recall. I only remember Giovanna because I was looking for it. I was doing research into my 'alter ego' for the medieval reenactment group (SCA) my husband and I belong to and found records online from the Jewish community of a town in Italy.

http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel.....ewish

Funnily enough, Yehoshua ben Haim haYerushalmi is my husband (not his real name but his SCA persona).

Unfortunately I can't find my notebook that has a printout of my sources.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 7:33 am
OMG OMG tell him I'm a fan of his names articles if that's ok with you!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 8:01 am
Ruchel wrote:
OMG OMG tell him I'm a fan of his names articles if that's ok with you!

LOL Sure Smile

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 8:40 am
Gishma

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:14 am
milchigs wrote:
Sorry to go completely off topic, but, out of curiosity, what is the reason you would like to name your child with one beginning with a G?

OP Here
The reason is because my husband has an ancestor who died a really terrible death, and who had a really terrible first name that starts with G. We'd like to name after her, if we have a daugher, but I can't find any names that I like. Now, of course Gabriella is the most obvious name that starts with a G. And I really like it, except I'd like to pick a name from amonst more than just a list of one name! So that's why I've been looking for other "G" names, before we make the decision. I didn't realize how few "G" names there are.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:19 am
OP Here
Oh! I just thought of another!....Geffen!
Thoughts?

exhausted

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 10:20 am
Gisha

aidelmaidel

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:00 am
Golda, Gittel, Genesha, Gisa, Guela!, Gila, Genendel.

a female version of a male name like "gershonah"

I don't know your family background, but the G/H are basically interchangable sounds in Russian - ie Gurwitz and Hurwitz are basically the same name. Is there something similar to the name except begining with a "H" sound?

Or could you take the meaning of the name and find another name that has the same meaning? Like - Tzippora/Faiga, Gittel/Tova, Tzvi/Hirsh?

Or give her the bubbie's name but with a second more "common" name that she could use instead?

We did this with one of our kids - the bubbie she was named for had a really hard to pronounce yiddish/czech name that I couldn't imagine sending her to school with just that name so we gave her a more "common" Hebrew name that she uses. As she grows older it's her choice what name to use.

I.E. Tova Genesha

Of course if the person who passed away died an untimely or tragic death, it's always good to add an extra name - Bracha, Chaya, Alta, Rafaella, etc.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
OP Here
Oh! I just thought of another!....Geffen!
Thoughts?
Great, if you are grape juice or wine. Amen.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
I've always liked "Grace" a lot, but I never thought of it as a Jewish name.
What do all of you think of it?
Grace is Channa. I have a Jewish cousin with that name, but she wasn't born to frum parents. The isn't anything davka non-Jewish about it.

nylon

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:01 pm
Be careful with Genesha. Ganesha is the name of a Hindu god. (The one with the elephant head.) Probably not a concern if you live in an all-frum area, but my old neighborhood was mixed Jewish and south Asian--it would have drawn eyebrows.

milchigs

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
milchigs wrote:

OP Here
The reason is because my husband has an ancestor who died a really terrible death, and who had a really terrible first name that starts with G. We'd like to name after her, if we have a daugher, but I can't find any names that I like. Now, of course Gabriella is the most obvious name that starts with a G. And I really like it, except I'd like to pick a name from amonst more than just a list of one name! So that's why I've been looking for other "G" names, before we make the decision. I didn't realize how few "G" names there are.

May I suggest that you name your daughter after this woman, and add a name like Chaya, Simcha, Bracha, or another pretty name that stands for peace or happiness? This way you are still respecting the relative's memory, but are altering the name in a way that you would like the baby's life to be reflected upon.

Also, just read your post about the name "Gefen"-- haven't heard of that name, but the meaning, both in a simple and deeper sense (gezunt, parnassah, nachas) is wonderful!!

milchigs

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:13 pm
Oops, sorry Aidelmaidel, didn't realize you already made that suggestion embarrassed

geemum

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:16 pm
Gila
Goldie
?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:22 pm
Gheula

merelyme

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:29 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Glilia is cute, in Hebrew.

Please don't.
It means "cylinder," as in a wafer-cylinder or a toilet-paper roll.

exhausted wrote:
Gisha

Gisya has a nice meaning - like Yaffa or Nava - but sounds very similar to a geisha girl (not what you'd want to call your dd).
OP, would you consider a translation of the name? e.g., Genendel is Chana.

TzipG

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:18 pm
OP I like the name Geffen. I've heard the name in a few playgrounds in Y-m, so it's definitely used.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 3:22 pm
Genendel is a machlokes. Could be Chana, could be from Gan Eden, could be from German gnädige.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names