Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn Sleeping in a Car Seat at Night?
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 9:36 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Some of mine did a lot. I did hear that it can be problematic, but aren't they all curled up in utero too?
In utero, they're not breathing through their windpipe.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 12:23 pm
Marion wrote:
For MOST infants it's not a big deal. For the preemie or infant with breathing issues (apneas) it's potentially quite dangerous.

A torticollis is the tightening of the muscle on one side of the neck which is what causes the "head tilt". Just like when you fall asleep and your head tilts and you wake up with a crick in your neck, so can an infant. But because they have poor neck control it's more LIKELY to happen. That said, sleeping in an infant carseat cannot CAUSE torticollis, as a true torticollis is a muscle issue.

I just would like to point out that yes, torticollis can be CAUSED by poor positioning. When the baby is frequently positioned with the head out of midline, over time, the muscle on the side tightens and shortens.

Another concern is uneven head shape as a result of constant pressure in the back of the head or on one side. If it's bad enough, a helmet may be needed to remold the head.

reachout

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 3:29 pm
I had my newborn sleep in a car seat for the first 6 weeks, but with a head support. His head cannot tilt to any side. You are all scaring me now.

bailalinda

Post Thu, Oct 21 2010, 4:03 pm
Our daughter had reflux as a newborn and for the first two months, she would only sleep in the carseat or lying chest to chest on top of a parent. Not the bassinet, not the pack and play, not the bouncer. So we let her and slowly transitioned her to the bassinet with towels and t-shirts rolled up under the head of the mattress so her milk would stay down. No lasting issues.

It's not automatically dangerous for an infant to sleep longer than a few hours in a carseat (ours didn't sleep more than three hours at a time at that age anyways). The handle can be rotated so it keeps the seat balanced, and that way her head did not fall forward.

We checked with our pediatrician. Check with yours.

imabima

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:18 am
All of my kids slept in the carseat for a varying amount of time but always alot. No issues here.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics