Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Online Shopping..Love it? Hate it? Save tons? Spend tons?
Previous  1  2

ysydmom

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 5:11 pm
Love it, saves time, saves $. Only thing I don't buy online is food!

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 5:39 pm
ysydmom wrote:
Love it, saves time, saves $. Only thing I don't buy online is food!

I used Peapod when they first began; however, in those days they had actual Northwestern University students doing the shopping at a local supermarket. It was amazing! It was like having your own personal shopper, and they'd often assign the same college student doing your shopping each week. Needless to say, the NU kids had plenty of seichel, so I'd often get several calls while my shopper was shopping: "The generic brand of diapers are on sale; do you want those instead?" or "I see you have spaghetti and sauce on your list, and they have garlic bread on sale; should pick some up?" Not only was it incredibly cost effective, it was very easy to deal with kashrus. The kids shopping would simply call up if the hechsher was unfamiliar.

Of course, they couldn't make any money this way, so they sold out to a corporation that consolidated their operations to warehouses, eliminating the personal service!

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:02 pm
OP here. I think that for someone that finds it hard to manage their money in general, or is a shopaholic, online shopping can be VERY detrimental.

I imagine the posters who love it and are happy with the metzias they find, etc. b"H do not have this problem.

The danger is that I may be too "lazy" to go to Target or the local mall and that "laziness" saves me from buying things I don't need. But, if I can just go to target.com, the sky's the limit.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:29 pm
I LOVE it.
I don't have to take the kids with me.
I can do it at 5 am or 11 pm.
I have an easier time price comparing.
I can search for coupons.
I see the price increase as I add each thing to the card rather then guestimating and paying much more at the cash register. I find I spend less for that reason.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 6:47 pm
I like it, buuuut I spend too much, but more for my buck and I'm not that great with sizing and it's not easy for me to return. I would rather buy in stores, but it's not always possible.

Reality

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 9:15 pm
I like it because I find shopping in a store overwhelming. Where do I find everything in a limited amount of time. I didn't feel like that before I had kids. Then I liked that big airy feeling of so many clothes to choose from. Now I rarely have a chance to shop without the kids with me.

I find that it does take many hours to shop online. Just like in the store, it takes me a LONG time to make a decision. So I hate that glue-eyed feeling I get when I am on-line shopping. But I also only like to shop with free shipping. And at a store that I have one close by just in case I need to return. But I LOVE my coupons which could be better than in the store.

Like a prior poster wrote it's a love-hate relationship!

Tova

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 9:30 pm
I find I deal with a constant trade-off of:

A) Buy from company with local brick and mortar locations. I do have to pay sales tax, but know I can return easily and for free.

or-

B) Buy from company without local location; no sales tax but hard to find free return shipping (aside from endless, zappos, etc.)

Where else can you get free return shipping?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 23 2010, 9:56 am
Love it. But between those who don't send here and those who send so expensively the shipping is more expensive than the item...

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Nov 24 2010, 11:22 am
I love it that you can do it from home without kids and stroller on the subway. I have more selection as there are a lot of stores I can't get to. I love the bargains but on the flip side, you see stuff that you wouldn't buy but it's on sale, and I really need so why not buy it now? I'll eventually buy it fot more expensive. and what is another $20?'s

chani1

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 3:00 pm
I love shopping online! Save you so much time and hassle, plus saves you money usually!
Just started shopping for all my paper goods online and they offer free shipping!!!
New site, [removed] loved it.
Beautiful experience.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics