Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
The 5-minute dinner prep thread...please post yours
Previous  1  2

jys

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:40 pm
onlyme wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
onlyme wrote:
Ok since a few of you mentioned baked rice I'm going to ask this:

Why is it that whenever I tried making rice in the oven it always came out raw, floating in an ocean of water? (IIRC, I baked it for at least 1.5 hours). Can someone give me exact directions on how to get it right? Thanks!

If you want plain fluffed rice to serve under a saucy chicken

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil, optional
1-1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a 7x10 deep pan (different size pans will yield wetter or drier rice). Cover tightly.
Bake in oven preheated to 375 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and allow rice to sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve right away.

In general, I serve baked rice in pretty scoops from an ice cream scooper because the consistancy of baked rice is a bit different that cooked rice.

If you want a delicious vegetable brown rice, which comes out a bit creamy.

• 1 cup short grain brown rice
• 2½ cups water
• 1 carrot, shredded or grated
• 1 tomato, cubed
• 2 tsp parsley flakes
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1¼ tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Place all ingredients in a 7 x 10 pan. Bake, tightly covered, for 1-1/2 hour.

Thank you! I'll try it.

Instead of tomatoe and carrots can I put onions and peppers?

gumdrop

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 10:50 pm
Here are some more easy suggestions:

*sprinkle onion soup mix (I buy the brand w/o msg) over chicken bottoms and bake as usual. DELICIOUS!

*mix 3tbs mayo, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder,drop of soy sauce, 2tsp mustard,1tbs water and smear over any fish to bake

*french toast with whole wheat bread or oatmeal are always a healthy quick fix

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 11:22 pm
jys wrote:
onlyme wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
onlyme wrote:
Ok since a few of you mentioned baked rice I'm going to ask this:

Why is it that whenever I tried making rice in the oven it always came out raw, floating in an ocean of water? (IIRC, I baked it for at least 1.5 hours). Can someone give me exact directions on how to get it right? Thanks!

If you want plain fluffed rice to serve under a saucy chicken

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil, optional
1-1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a 7x10 deep pan (different size pans will yield wetter or drier rice). Cover tightly.
Bake in oven preheated to 375 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and allow rice to sit covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve right away.

In general, I serve baked rice in pretty scoops from an ice cream scooper because the consistancy of baked rice is a bit different that cooked rice.

If you want a delicious vegetable brown rice, which comes out a bit creamy.

• 1 cup short grain brown rice
• 2½ cups water
• 1 carrot, shredded or grated
• 1 tomato, cubed
• 2 tsp parsley flakes
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1¼ tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder and black pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Place all ingredients in a 7 x 10 pan. Bake, tightly covered, for 1-1/2 hour.

Thank you! I'll try it.

Instead of tomatoe and carrots can I put onions and peppers?
Sure!
Though I think peppers and carrots would be better, but onions and peppers should be fine!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 9:43 am
Any more milchik non-fish recipes for this thread? Most of them read like "take chicken/fish, pour sauce over, put vegetables/rice under, serve." I like the corn pasta one on the first page and am thinking of trying it. Anyone have any other milchik ideas?

Scrambled eggs and toast is always easy and fast (with a cut up fruit or vegetable), but sometimes I'd like something more than that.

baba

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 9:51 am
These threads never help me. Yes I have meat/fish in the house, but it's in the freezer. I need things that are quick and easy when you only realize it's dinner time a half hour before.
I'm just not that good at planning ahead, or I'm out.

Besides that, for milchig we eat:
home made pizza
home made rosemary bread with mozzarella and tomatoes. Sometimes also avocado.
Onion soup with home made bread.
Zucchini potato casserole
Broccoli rice casserole (from purple Spice & Spirit)
Vegetable Risotto
Pancakes (whole wheat, no sugar sometimes I add apple, banana. Sometimes cheese)
Tuna pasta casserole
It's not all 5 min, but definitely doesnt take long to prepare.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:02 am
baba wrote:
These threads never help me. Yes I have meat/fish in the house, but it's in the freezer. I need things that are quick and easy when you only realize it's dinner time a half hour before.
I'm just not that good at planning ahead, or I'm out.

Besides that, for milchig we eat:
home made pizza
home made rosemary bread with mozzarella and tomatoes. Sometimes also avocado.
Onion soup with home made bread.
Zucchini potato casserole
Broccoli rice casserole (from purple Spice & Spirit)
Vegetable Risotto

Pancakes (whole wheat, no sugar sometimes I add apple, banana. Sometimes cheese)
Tuna pasta casserole
It's not all 5 min, but definitely doesnt take long to prepare.

Yum. I've been wanting to make a casserole or something similar recently. Could you post the recipes, when you get a chance?

baba

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:16 am
I'll have to disappoint you that I make a lot of it up.

Zucchini Potato caserole:
Slice potato an zucchini very thin. Put a layer of breadcrumbs on bottom of casserole dish, then put a layer of potato, then zucchini. Keep going till dish looks a nice hight (I slice a nice amount, then add more later when till I find it's enough). Then top it off with cream mixed with some spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg). You could add cheese, also within the layering. Put breadcrumbs and or cheese (best is parmesan) on top.

The risotto I try a different one every time, just google a recipe. In general it's frying an onion, then the risotto till it's kinda see threw. Then you slowly add the liquid (usually broth and white wine) a little at a time giving the risotto time to absorb it. THen add cheese and some safron. When I put veggies in it we eat it as a meal, if not I make it with fish.

The last one I'll have to look up in the cookbook later. Maybe someone else has it.

But basically you fry an onion, add rice and broccoli. Then add water, salt and pepper and let cook for 20 min till all the water is gone. Then you add cheese (I use mozzarella). Put it in a casserole dish, pour tomato sauce on it and top it off with cheese. Broil till brown.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:10 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Any more milchik non-fish recipes for this thread? Most of them read like "take chicken/fish, pour sauce over, put vegetables/rice under, serve." I like the corn pasta one on the first page and am thinking of trying it. Anyone have any other milchik ideas?

Scrambled eggs and toast is always easy and fast (with a cut up fruit or vegetable), but sometimes I'd like something more than that.
Have you tried the no boil pasta - baked ziti?
Lasagna?
No fry eggplant parmesan?
Quick pizza?
Parmesan crusted fish?

All take just a few minutes to prepare.

gumdrop

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:52 pm
I don't have a name for this pasta but it tastes a lot like cheese kreplach.

cook spiral luckshin then mix in a pkg. of farmer cheese.
quickly fry bread crumbs and sugar in a frying pan till nice and toasted. Mix this into the above mixture the kids and dh like it.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:15 pm
Pita pizza:

take store-bought pita
pour on tomato sauce, shredded cheese and whatever veggies you want (this will actually change the specific prep time, but unless you are cutting 7 different veggies, shouldn't take too long) and bake. Takes like 15 minutes maybe? Plus, as you take out one batch (each person can make individual types), you can quickly pop in the next one.

ray379

Post Fri, Dec 24 2010, 12:49 am
For a super fast meal, I boil water, add 1/2 box of pasta and 1 C frozen mixed veggies, let that cook and drain most of the water out. Then I put it back in the pot and add about 1 C shredded cheese (whatever you have on hand), 1-2 oz. cream cheese, and some spices- garlic, oregano, basil.

You can also add ricotta or parmesan cheese or some marinara sauce. Really fast and tasty too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics