Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
You Don't Toivel Dishes-Can I Eat By You?
Previous  1  2

Do you toivel your dishes?
Yes  
 81%  [ 65 ]
No  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes  
 13%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 80

amother

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:40 pm
hannah95 wrote:
Why did you specify she's MO ?

I want to know if this is common among MO not to toivel and if so what does your Rav say about why you don't have to.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:42 pm
If I knew someone didn't toivel their dishes - those that require toiveling- I wouldn't expect them to be scrupulous with kashrus in general. So I wouldn't eat on or off their dishes!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:44 pm
amother wrote:
hannah95 wrote:

I want to know if this is common among MO not to toivel and if so what does your Rav say about why you don't have to.

No its not common. There is a debate on what exactly has to be toiveled, but metal is 100% with a bracha and glass with a bracha. Some people toivel plastic (not me).

Certain china is debatable, so I assume its based on your LOR psak.

hannah95

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:46 pm
Nearly everything is toiveled but wood and plastic.

Peanut2

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 6:05 pm
hannah95 wrote:

That's not necessarily true. We don't toivel our plates, including earthenware. We do toivel out knives, pots, etc. I think there are different customs/schools of thought on this, because according to at least some rabbis, earthenware (pottery) doesn't need to be toiveled.

hannah95

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 6:37 pm
Peanut2 wrote:
hannah95 wrote:

That's not necessarily true. We don't toivel our plates, including earthenware. We do toivel out knives, pots, etc. I think there are different customs/schools of thought on this, because according to at least some rabbis, earthenware (pottery) doesn't need to be toiveled.

Of course, and I'm sepharadi so maybe we have different minhagim towards kelim. Each should do as specified by her kehila.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 8:14 pm
Yup. Sephardim custom is to toivel chinawear/ceramics as we consider the glazing to be similar to glass. I've never heard MO not toivelling utencils.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 10:36 pm
Maybe the dishes were manufactured by Jews and so she doesn't need to tovel them? Did the stickers say "Made in Israel"?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 4:06 am
I have the same problem. My in laws are MO and I don't think my MIL toivels any of her dishes. My husband has pointed it out to her in the past if he has seen a sticker on something (definitely not made in Israel) and therefore knew it had not been toiveled but it doesn't seem like she really cares, unfortunately. I am pretty sure there are other aspects of kashrus she is lenient on, but not quite sure what we can do about it. One thing I am always concerned about when we go there is cholov yisroel, but b"H she has made an effort to buy us CY yogurts, milk and cheese. Not sure what to tell you, OP... just that there are others with the same worries.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
I have the same problem. My in laws are MO and I don't think my MIL toivels any of her dishes. My husband has pointed it out to her in the past if he has seen a sticker on something (definitely not made in Israel) and therefore knew it had not been toiveled but it doesn't seem like she really cares, unfortunately. I am pretty sure there are other aspects of kashrus she is lenient on, but not quite sure what we can do about it. One thing I am always concerned about when we go there is cholov yisroel, but b"H she has made an effort to buy us CY yogurts, milk and cheese. Not sure what to tell you, OP... just that there are others with the same worries.

OP here. Yes, this sounds like my situation. We don't eat by her anymore (our family got so big kayh" that she comes to us) but she's a balebusteh, she always wants to make things for us so it's difficult.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 9:52 am
There are people who don't know or don't bother, while still being shomer mitzvot.

Yes I would eat.

No I wasn't raised toiveling the dishes, it wasn't a concept. Dh handles it all. If I was living alone I like to think I would ask someone to teach me or pay someone to do it, but when you're not raised with it you're not raised with it -and it's not like their is a lot of awareness on this!

NativeMom

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 10:04 am
freidasima wrote:
From what I was taught toiveling has absolutely nothing to do with kashrus. The dishes are kosher as long as the person keeps separation between milchig and fleishig. All the rest is not kashrus it is something else (don't ask me what).

Also there are different shitos, We only toivel metal and glass, certainly not china or anything else. And not all metal either, if it has electricity attached (hence a toaster doesn't get toiveled).

This is what I heard. My parents only toivel metal and glass. My in-laws on the other hand toivel everything (I believe). Since DH grew up doing this that what we have been doing but it doesn't make a difference to me either way, we still use my parents dishes, and there are times where I did not toivel a new stoneware piece. We were told that it wasn't necessary to toivel anything with an electrical cord attached, unless it came with accessories then obviously I would toivel those.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

OP here. Yes, this sounds like my situation. We don't eat by her anymore (our family got so big kayh" that she comes to us) but she's a balebusteh, she always wants to make things for us so it's difficult.

This is an important question for your Rav. Different rabbonim will tell you differently.

louche

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 12:21 pm
hannah95 wrote:

Indeed. And people wonder why the MO sector feels harrassed and looked down upon?

Zus

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 2:41 pm
If I noticed that someone doesn't toivel her utensiles, I'd wonder what other things she's lenient with.
Technically speaking, food prepared with untoiveled utensils is still kosher, but I would doubt this person is yirat shamayim and therefore I would be hesitant about eating the food.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 2:46 pm
Yirat shamaim doesn't teach you halacha.

Zus

Post Wed, Dec 01 2010, 2:50 pm
I'll rephrase.
If I see that someone is negligent about this (whether accidentally or on purpose), I'd start wondering if she's negligent about her kashrut as well (whethr accidentally or on purpose).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions