Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Mitzvah- Not to mention the names of false gods.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Raizle

Post Mon, Jan 10 2011, 10:36 pm
cassandra wrote:
No. The Gemara does not mean that her given name was Esther and then changed to Hadassa- it was first Hadassa and then became Esther.

no of course not. hadassa came first, that's well known
But the gemora mentiones the connection with the word for "hidden"before it mentions the persian connection

hadasa

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:13 am
cassandra wrote:
No. The Gemara does not mean that her given name was Esther and then changed to Hadassa- it was first Hadassa and then became Esther.
Read the Gemara again. The very first opinion says that her given name was Esther and she was called Hadassah because of her righteousness. The other two opinions are as you say.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:25 am
hadasa wrote:
cassandra wrote:
Read the Gemara again. The very first opinion says that her given name was Esther and she was called Hadassah because of her righteousness. The other two opinions are as you say.

The consensus seems to be (ie, the way most people understand it) that she was Hadassa first. Or Hadasa Wink

If it was that it was Esther first, it doesn't affect the point either, because clearly Mordechai is based on a deity, and that seems to be his only name.

Raizle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 7:38 pm
hadasa wrote:
cassandra wrote:

I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out, I never realized that there was an opinion that said that

hadasa

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:32 pm
cassandra wrote:
clearly Mordechai is based on a deity, and that seems to be his only name.
See Maseches Shekalim, Perek 5, Mishna 1
(From eavesdropping on DH learning Mishnayos with my boys.)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:34 pm
It's a machlokes whether Bilshan is his Jewish name or his surname. We should all ask our rabbanim for what we should believe.

hadasa

Post Wed, Jan 26 2011, 3:47 pm
The Mishna I cited says his name was P'sachya.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions