Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Benching Gomel
Previous  1  2

shalhevet

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 4:03 am
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Ha ha about the MO.

Our chareidi rav told me to bentch gomel after giving birth in front of a minyan. He suggested at the bris for a boy (I always forgot). So I used to go to dh's kolel, stand in the doorway and my dh would get everyone to listen to me and answer.

I think giving birth was less embarrassing...

What is embarrassing about saying gomel? It certainly sounds less embarassing than giving birth in front of a minyan! LOL shock

(dangling participle anyone?)

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

I guess I won't get any editing clients through imamothers now. embarrassed

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 4:17 am
I bentched gomel in Shul after my girls were born and when I was single and flying overseas and back.

I bentched gomel at my sons' britot.

I've had 4 surgeries on my sinuses and 2 of the 4 I bentched in shul. I asked our Rav and since I was only knocked out for 2 of the 4, I only said for those 2 (one of them they drilled a hole in my skull near my eye!!)

Mrs. XYZ

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 4:41 am
DrMom wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Ha ha about the MO.

Our chareidi rav told me to bentch gomel after giving birth in front of a minyan. He suggested at the bris for a boy (I always forgot). So I used to go to dh's kolel, stand in the doorway and my dh would get everyone to listen to me and answer.

I think giving birth was less embarrassing...

What is embarrassing about saying gomel? It certainly sounds less embarassing than giving birth in front of a minyan! LOL shock

(dangling participle anyone?)

She must have been one of those who had a minyan of hatzalah men rush to see her birth! Wink

Isramom8

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 5:59 am
In EY it is the custom that Chareidi women bentch gomel after giving birth, in the ""standing in the doorway" manner. I heard that in NY at least, it is discouraged because it gets to be too much like Mo women's minyanim.

The practice might be only after giving birth though. After I traveled by plane, I was told that women don't have to bentch gomel and I didn't.

hila

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:20 am
I found it was easier to go to Shabbat mincha to bench gomel, rether than saying it in the morning.

When my daughter was in a bad car accident she was told she can bnch in front of 10 women - which she did.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 1:53 am
DS#1 & #2 I said haGomel at the bris. DS#3 somehow we forgot; he was a month old before we managed to co-ordinate DH getting an aliyah with me being in shul (our shul's custom; you only bentch gomel when your husband is called to the Torah).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions