Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
What can`t you get in the uk!!!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

thatworn

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 3:51 pm
As an ex-pat in the USA : I MISS GERMOLENE(or is it GermolIne?) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a nice hospitally smell and built in anaesthesia. Who can go wrong with that! And the whole range of sainsbury generic soaps and lotions. And WALKERS SALT AND VINEGAR CRISPS!!!!!!! Then I found out they're treyf so I guess I would miss them even if I were back in blighty.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 3:53 pm
Expat as in expatriated, not as in ex-patriated...

thatworn

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:00 pm
mango wrote:
my last package from the UK contained chocolate digestive biscuits, salt and vinegar crisps (chips!) and weetabixs! Im trying to convince my family to send ribena and other juice cordials but they say its 2 heavy! last package came via my brother who is studying in Yeshiva here I'm going to try convince him to pack light when he goes home for pesach so he can bring me more stuff!

I was once in Monsey and saw PAS YISROEL WEETBIX!!!!! I have seen OU ones in general supermarkets in various places.

mango

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:09 pm
thatworn wrote:
mango wrote:
my last package from the UK contained chocolate digestive biscuits, salt and vinegar crisps (chips!) and weetabixs! Im trying to convince my family to send ribena and other juice cordials but they say its 2 heavy! last package came via my brother who is studying in Yeshiva here I'm going to try convince him to pack light when he goes home for pesach so he can bring me more stuff!

I was once in Monsey and saw PAS YISROEL WEETBIX!!!!! I have seen OU ones in general supermarkets in various places.

Yep since I got that package my SILs have found in various places in the US none to be found in the town I live yet though!

thatworn

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:15 pm
On the topic of cereal... JORDANS MUESLI AND MUESLI BARS!!!Are they kosher? I used to live off those things, along with the Salt n Vinegar Walkers, which were really just a bag of air with 4 slivers of flavoured potato.

bandcm

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:37 pm
Sorry, you USA Weetabix seekers, but the American weetabix is dreadful - it is extremely soggy and goes stale about ten minutes after you open the pack.
Someone who was once with us for Shabbos sent us a suitcase of cereal from the USA - Bran flakes are horrendous compared to the English, the Weetabix is dreadful. The Chex was alright but nothing like Shreddies. Although we did very much appreciate the thought!

skymile

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:47 pm
I don't understand the thread. is this about stuff that's only good in the states or vice versa?

personally there is not a single place that makes decent pizza in the UK... not even milk n honey

as a side note, when my grandparents came to the states from Australia, they took home Oreos and licorice sticks... go figure ;-)

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:55 pm
thatworn, Jordan's muesli is kosher but muesli bars have some flavours that are kosher and some that are not. Walkers salt & vinegar crisp is definitely on LBD list though it's milky. My kids literally lives on it.

You can check LBD website.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:03 pm
For what do you all use sesame oil ?
It looks that we in the uk get quiet good things.But I was
more looking what would be worth to import to the uk from
overseas.

nechami1

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:47 pm
I want to defend kelloggs cereals here in the uk- my kids and I enjoy them in the morning- especially as you can have them with decent milk! (not like the Israeli bags of so called milk!)
And the Rakusens choc digestives... yum...all the kosher shops are dead expensive but they are £! in Sainsburys. my favourite bicky.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 5:58 pm
I don't think there are too many american or israeli products not available in the UK, especially in the big supermarkets. At a price of course. But anything imported will cost more £££.

Honestly I rarely buy imported stuff if there is a local option.

gem

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 8:00 pm
When I lived in the UK, I really missed ziploc bags (although we finally found them at I think Costco). Also, Always maxipads in the maximum protection and ultra heavy overnight sizes (most ladies don't even know about these, but they make a huge difference to those of us who need them! They're not available at all in the UK; my mom used to send them to me). Large bottles of pain killers. Being able to get things like cortisone cream OTC, not behind the counter.

thatworn

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 8:29 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
thatworn, Jordan's muesli is kosher but muesli bars have some flavours that are kosher and some that are not. Walkers salt & vinegar crisp is definitely on LBD list though it's milky. My kids literally lives on it.

You can check LBD website.

I remember seeing the kosher-milchig status when I looked the walkers salt and vinegar deliciousness up online awhile back... how long has it been that way? I was sure they were pareve a few years back! English salt and vinegar crisps were such a novelty for me as in other countries, they have milk traces! I have never touched milchigs and if I did it'd be cholov yisroel so I was dismayed and dumbfounded at the milchig status. Sad Sad Sad

nylon

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 10:37 pm
A lot of the US chips are dairy too (I know Utz are). I missed Ziplocs. Mostly it was little things, like not having so many cuts of kosher meat. There's only 1 kind of cottage cheese, and it's a bit creamy--I like pot cheese.

I don't eat Weetabix but DH (English) does and says the American (Canadian, really) are fine. I've seen them in a lot of supermarkets here, usually with a natural/organic section.

I miss English dairy products--the cream is wonderful.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 4:41 am
thatworn, I am not a salt and vinegar fan but there are crisps with a hechsher available in the kosher stores with salt and vinegar. Snowcrest, and that other company with a Z.

I think Walkers went dairy about 2 years back.

intrigued

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 7:09 am
gem wrote:
When I lived in the UK, I really missed ziploc bags (although we finally found them at I think Costco). Also, Always maxipads in the maximum protection and ultra heavy overnight sizes (most ladies don't even know about these, but they make a huge difference to those of us who need them! They're not available at all in the UK; my mom used to send them to me). Large bottles of pain killers. Being able to get things like cortisone cream OTC, not behind the counter.

Thats so interesting. I was the opposite I also need heavy overnight ones and when I used to live in the US I had such a hard time finding good ones. Once I moved back here I was so happy to finally have normal heavy pads again!

intrigued

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 7:10 am
Raisin wrote:
thatworn, I am not a salt and vinegar fan but there are crisps with a hechsher available in the kosher stores with salt and vinegar. Snowcrest, and that other company with a Z.

I think Walkers went dairy about 2 years back.

Kolak have really good crisps. Salt and vinegar. Sweet and sour YUM! When I lived in the US I missed all the good nosh that you can't find there!

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 11:13 am
Another vote against american cereals and a big FOR kelloggs uk!!
Bran flakes, sultana bran and the likes come ready soggy here as do most of the cereals.
Weetabix im managing with even though they aren't as crunchy as the uk ones.
There are two good cereals you get here and not in england that is reeses puffs (my siblings are crazy for them) and crispix.
But how long can you eat that for day in day out?! LOL

Price wise, a bag of mini taami chocolates cost $3.50 here and in England if I remember correctly they were 6pounds or something!! so I guess there are pros and cons of food life here!

intrigued

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 12:19 pm
oooo I miss Resses Puffs. I loved to snack on them. I also remember a cereal called Chocoriot or something that I had when I visited NY as a child which I also use as a snack. Haven't seen it in a while.

cc

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 5:47 pm
Yay! Went to tesco and found the kosher sesame oil. Was the last one on the shelf.
Chocoriot are from israel and sold here too.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers