Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Rude not to give teacher MM?

rovacat

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 2:48 pm
I live in tel aviv, and my kids teachers live in bnei brak (20-30 min. drive away)
most of the kids in their class live in bnei brak, so I'm sure they'll be giving MM.
do you think the teachers will be offended if I don't send MM? will they even notice if we don't send.? they both have 30 something girls in their class, so I'm sure the teachers will be receiving more than they can handle.
if you were a teacher, would you think differently of some of your students if they didn't send you MM?
I'm not sure what the right thing to do is.

mommygirl

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 3:14 pm
I think it is very nice to show appreciation at Purim time. Even though it isn't "fulfilling" the mitzva it is still a nice gift - so why not send MM with your child on Thursday or Friday. You don't have to drive through on Purim, and the teacher will still appreciate your kindness.

mom4life

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 3:19 pm
I'm sending on Monday, they are having a Purim carnival that day. Purim is to crazy to go running all over the place. I would send Monday if I were you.

rovacat

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 3:52 pm
no school here on monday. I feel like by tuesday it's already old news, and everyone just wants to throw out all their MM and start pesach cleaning

intrigued

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 3:55 pm
You don't have to send if you can't make it that day. But personally I would try and give something to show appreciation like a gift certificate.

I am a strong believer in giving small doses of appreciation to teachers during the year for the benefit of your child.

obagys

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 3:56 pm
I would send it earlier with my child to school, or I would send a card with personal thank you in addition to the happy purim wishes.

Tablepoetry

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 4:14 pm
Maybe in Bnei Brak it's different, but in my kids' schools no one sends the teachers MM on Purim itself. Most of the teachers don't live near the school and I've never heard of anyone getting hold of the teachers' addresses beforehand.
Some of the kids bring MM to the teachers before Purim, usually on the day when everyone is dressed up/shuk purim. That would be Wed. for us this year.
But certainly not all the kids, far from it. I've lived in several cities in Israel, been through several stages of schooling with my kids, so I'm pretty familiar with the system.

In other words - I wouldn't even dream of spending an hour driving to Bnei Brak and back on Purim, esp considering there will probably be more traffic than usual. But things may be different in your circles.

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 5:15 pm
I think the envelope inside is more important than the mm...

Liba

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 5:59 pm
I am IY"H sending in tomorrow (Wednesday). Thursday is a taanis and Friday my girls are already off. Purim itself, it is too hard to get to everyone and I think people understand that.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 6:35 pm
I send to school. You don't have to send something massive. Write a nice card and a nice bag of some stuff.

livalittle

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 6:59 pm
as a teacher, I was very touched by the students who did make the effort to give shalach manos or send a card that instead of mm, ,they gave a donation to tzedaka

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 10:51 pm
rovacat wrote:
no school here on monday. I feel like by tuesday it's already old news, and everyone just wants to throw out all their MM and start pesach cleaning

Send it in on Taanit Esther or on Friday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics