Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Submissions to binah-mishpacha-ami
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

seeker

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:00 pm
When magazines do pay, what's the going rate? Trying to decide if it's worth my time...

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:01 pm
allrgymama wrote:
Not sure about any pros beyond having your name out there if any of them actually accept a submission.

That being said, they all take forever to confirm receipt of submissions and anywhere between a month to three months to then tell you if it's been accepted.

Having had three pieces accepted by Binah (and two already published): they did not confirm changes to my pieces with me, they did not give me advance notice of when I could expect my pieces to be published, and the third piece has been sitting by them for 9 months (despite having been told twice that it was going to be published any issue now).

Despite a love for writing and really wanting to have a voice that's heard, the whole thing has put me off Jewish Women's magazines altogether. God bless their regular writers for being more persistent than I was.

your screename is making me think I know who you are. Were your pieces in Your Space? Those are not paid pieces. We consider them like longer letters and I'm not sure those get final versions. Every single other piece gets a final version in Binah with the writer having the right to make minor changes till she's satisfied.
Also, did you invoice for your articles? If you're the one I think you are, I don't see any invoice in the system so pls feel free to be in contact with your contact.

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:02 pm
seeker wrote:
When magazines do pay, what's the going rate? Trying to decide if it's worth my time...

for submissions many don't pay. The going rate for regular short, first/second timers I think is 7-8 cents a word. At least that's what it was when I wrote for many publications

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:34 pm
actually, how do they pay?

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:42 pm
Interesting, because whenever they published my pieces, they requested an invoice shortly thereafter, even before the article was printed.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:46 pm
Yes, Your Space submissions are more of an extended readers write.

and most mags pay 7-8c a word.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Ami will accept most anything.

Like what?

So far theyre liking human interest stories or perosnal accounts etc like you see at the end under "Our Days". But I think theyre pretty much okay with accepting anything that's good.

Smile1 wrote:
The circulation systems of those magazines are painfully irksome. Pray tell, how exactly does the cycle of "circling the editorial board" work? I had two articles published in Binah, one pending by Hamodia that I'm still waiting to see in print, and so many more that are just circulating and circulating. And don't start me on rejections. Rolling Eyes

If writing wouldn't be a passion, we would be a bunch of quitters.

Says who? I quit already. It's a very heady feeling to get published; I used to be in Horizons frequently, and I had ONE sweet thing published in Binah, and one in Ami- which was an inexplicable Binah reject. The one that did get put into Binah, was also originally rejected, and a YEAR LATER they suddenly notified me theyre publishing it. In June I'm IYH having another piece,, which they had appeared to accept right away and then... months passed and nothing. So I pulled an inside connection and it's IYH going in, in June.

It feels like a waste of time to pour your heart and soul into a piece that is like giving birth to your own child, a labor of love and exquisite emotion, and then it languishes here and there and eveyrwhere, by the time someone accepts it and publishes it, it's years later and the freshness of the story has evaporated.

Smile1 wrote:
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
Binah informed me three years ago that an article I submitted was accepted for publication. Then I never heard from them again. It never got published and I never got paid for it, though they made me promise I wouldn't submit it anywhere else.

Did you follow up?

The intake/submissions staff has had so many rollovers already that you probably wont find anyone on staff anymore who will even remember it. submit it again - or inform them that youre submitting it elsewhere. Be proactive.

seeker wrote:
Oh dear. And here I was hoping I could maybe have a future as a writer for these magazines.

Any idea whether there's a difference in the way they treat professional writing as opposed to artistic pieces? (I.e. writing about one's field of professional expertise vs. writing stories/poems)

The only REAL way to have a future in writing for any of these mags is to become a steady writer. But that will mean a lot of assignments. Interviewing people, issues, informationals... I dont enjoy that. I like writing about things that moved me, funny things Ive experienced... basically, "blog" entries that are suitable for the world to read.

But.... you can definitely become 'noticed' if you keep persisting and sending in articles. I got noticed by 3 magazines just through imamother alone. Seraph got noticed by Ami through Imamother. It pays to keep writing.... eventually you'll get noticed. In my case, I'm not doing much with my notice; I'm just too lazy to write, and I dont' like writing on assignment.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:49 pm
mama bear, how exactly does one get noticed through imamother?

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 7:58 pm
Smile1 wrote:
The circulation systems of those magazines are painfully irksome. Pray tell, how exactly does the cycle of "circling the editorial board" work? I had two articles published in Binah, one pending by Hamodia that I'm still waiting to see in print, and so many more that are just circulating and circulating. And don't start me on rejections. Rolling Eyes

If writing wouldn't be a passion, we would be a bunch of quitters.

Says who? I quit already. It's a very heady feeling to get published; I used to be in Horizons frequently, and I had ONE sweet thing published in Binah, and one in Ami- which was an inexplicable Binah reject. The one that did get put into Binah, was also originally rejected, and a YEAR LATER they suddenly notified me theyre publishing it. In June I'm IYH having another piece,, which they had appeared to accept right away and then... months passed and nothing. So I pulled an inside connection and it's IYH going in, in June.

It feels like a waste of time to pour your heart and soul into a piece that is like giving birth to your own child, a labor of love and exquisite emotion, and then it languishes here and there and eveyrwhere, by the time someone accepts it and publishes it, it's years later and the freshness of the story has evaporated.[/quote]

You quit writing or submitting?

I also prefer writing on my own initiative, vs. interviews or any other commissioned work. The only place to feature my own creations are in the magazines, though. Commissioned writing I do all the time, for businesses and organizations. So even if it's discouraging to be rejected or thrown around for ages, I still love writing and will never quit.

(I do not get this quoting system straight. Help.)

mazeltov

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 8:35 pm
AMI-
how long does it take to get paid? how will I know whether my submission is accepted for publication? if they don't accept it, can I publish it elsewhere?

can you give me the email address and contact information for sending submissions?

do you email it to them, or how do you send it?

how do you get paid?

thanks.

das

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 9:19 pm
I've written for all these publications and always got paid so I find this thread very surprising.

Mishpacha paid like month after it was published.
Wrote for Binah awhile ago and dont recall the process but I did not have to run after my $.
Ami I send an invoice nd get paid about thirty days after invoicing.

Sometimes I had to send follow up emails to all three to remind them. Are all of you going after your money or just waiting for the envelope to arrive?

DREAMING

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 9:59 pm
any advice for a wannabe author?

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 10:15 pm
Perhaps in my case there was a difference because they published it in the 'Your Say' section? (The first one, if I remember correctly. Not sure about the second).

Although, from the response I received, it was made to sound as though, across the board, they do not pay for non-commissioned pieces.

Perhaps this policy has changed in the last year. I don't know.

I WISH they would have offered me a year's subscription.

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 10:21 pm
DREAMING wrote:

You're gonna get the same advice from everyone. Just keep writing. And writing. And writing. And writing. (And submitting, of course... Wink )

DREAMING

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:28 pm
Smile1 wrote:
DREAMING wrote:

You're gonna get the same advice from everyone. Just keep writing. And writing. And writing. And writing. (And submitting, of course... Wink )

I meant with submitting an article. what do I say? do?..........

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:48 pm
tsiggelle wrote:
mama bear, how exactly does one get noticed through imamother?
Who knows? I guess when you have an 'identity' and you write a lot, and you write long or interesting posts? who knows?... I think since I write a lot in this corner about various magazines and the pros and cons of their articles and serials, some of the relevant magazines noticed my writing style and liked it. Who knows. Even with all my 'connections' I havent bothered trying to write for anyone. Too busy juggling my life. If I'd only find the koach to write about juggling my life... LOL

Smile1 wrote:

You quit writing or submitting?

I quit writing, because the whole rejection, waiting for publication, waiting for money, and yes, even getting flak from my family for what I thought was a beautiful piece that finally got published... nah, not worth the time and headache. So I write on facebook and play cityville and comment on forums. Much more fun.

DREAMING wrote:
Smile1 wrote:
DREAMING wrote:

I meant with submitting an article. what do I say? do?..........

Hmmm... You just submit it and daven hard I guess LOL...

Seraph

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 1:27 am
Ok, so my experience?

I have some ins at mishpacha and never once got accepted by them. Rejection after rejection stung, so I quit submitting.

Binah I thought I had an in at; I used to work for Hamodia, and Binah is their magazine. In fact, when Binah was first starting out, I worked in the same room as the people starting the mag. The distributors are all friends of mine, but no, I had no luck getting accepted there either.

After that, I quit writing for Jewish magazines. Putting in lots of efforts only to get rejection after rejection was such a let down and gave me such a complex. Especially because I knew my talent was in writing. I was starting to doubt myself.
And then I pretty much said "Screw them. I know my writing is good. If they're too blind to see it, too bad! I'll prove to myself and to them that people WANT to read what I have to say. And I'll make money from it too!"
So I started my blog, monetized it, and baruch hashem, it grew. And I baruch hashem, it gave me the confidence to write some more. But I wouldn't submit anything to anyone because rejections werent good for my self esteem and I wasn't getting anywhere. And baruch hashem I started making money from my blog.

And then I got noticed.
Ami asked me to write for them.
If I wasn't chasing them to publish me, and instead they were asking me to write for them. So then I was willing to work for them. They found me via imamother and my blog.
And they're a pleasure to work with. If I send in my articles enough in advance (like they requested, but often I'm running behind), we get lots of back and forths and I see the final version before being printed.
They're a little behind on paying. Understatement. But at least when they pay, they pay well.

Though I'm a columnist and not a one time writer.

Any advice for writers? Yea- if you want to make your name known as a writer, start a blog about an interesting topic, show the world that people are interested in your writing (via having your blog grow large) and then hope someone notices you. And monetize your blog so you can get paid. And having a blog will improve your writing skill via the constant practice you're getting.
And if people aren't interested in what you have to write.... well, then at least you understand why magazines aren't accepting your pieces.

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 8:14 am
My best paid article was published by Mishpacha, when Rechy was still there. I had to go to some Israeli office and fill out forms to be paid. I got in by submitting it and waiting till it was accepted.

I get into Hamodia sometimes, but they don't pay. Years ago, Yated paid me for a story. Spirit is for chessed, not pay. DSAU - same.

Monetizing my writing website didn't pay.

For a story in a frum book, I received one copy of the book, and that's it.

I had a story accepted for a secular compliation, but it still wasn't published.

But I enjoy writing anyway. Wink

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 8:19 am
I've gotten into Horizons a number of times.

imalakatan

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 9:41 am
I handle a lot of Mishpacha’s submissions. We welcome anyone to submit stories and personal essays (you can see our site for more details on what we look for and how the process works - www.mishpacha.com --> Contact Us --> Pitches and Submissions). We’ve found some of our top staff writers via submissions, and as they can tell you, sometimes it takes more than once, twice, or even ten times to get it right – so keep trying!
Another thing – like most magazines, we work very much in advance, so we have stories on file now that are slated to run Lag BaOmer, Shavuos, in the summer, and even for Rosh Hashanah. When we accept your piece, we tell you that we will pay a month after the story runs. Hope this helps clarify some of the process.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room