Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Submissions to binah-mishpacha-ami
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

downsyndrome

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 7:46 am
I submitted a story to Binah, which was published, but it didn't dawn on me to ask for pay. I guess that's because I can't offer any pay for articles submitted to my magazine... Back to Binah - I submitted an article that was relevant to a certain yom tov, I gave them ample time to play around with it, I was given the opportunity to criticize their written version and insist on my own and generally it was a pleasant experience. The article was published mere weeks after submission.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:00 am
I miss Horizons. Sigh. they paid pretty nicely - $10 a page! Alas they are no more.

Hmmm imala I should probably polish up my succos submission now lol! (I submitted a succos article about 2 yrs ago and Faigel safran who worked there then, loved it, but it was too late for succos. maybe this year...)

Momkan

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:11 pm
anyone know of a Jewish publication that pays on time and is more open to new writers??

Mama Bear

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 7:02 am
Just wanted to publicly announced that I got paid for my Ami article BH. Unfortunately the check got ripped as it was taken out of the mailbox but they will graciously replace it next week bh. (I hope)

tikva18

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:08 pm
Just wanted to update that I got paid for my work in Ami - the check came this past Shabbos.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 15 2011, 9:41 pm
BH I got mine too! Smile

oh and btw - I submitted for the first time to Mishpacha last week and found the submission process pretty easy and pleasant. all the info about submissions is on their web site.

With Binah I find that they prefer that you send them a 'pitch' instead of a completely ready article, so they can work on it with you and advise you what angle to take when writing, instead of having to ask you to re-do the article in a format that fits the magazine.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 4:07 pm
OK ladies-- we're revamping our submissions process and took many many of your suggestions into consideration. We have created a new system that will hopefully be up and running by the end of this week or beginning of next. Smile

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 5:15 pm
WOW I.L.L., this is incredible. the power of imamother!!!

So does this mean binah will start accepting reader submissions again? and get back to them in a timely manner?...

Tova

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 5:34 pm
I'm also impressed, ILL - please keep us posted!

jemappelle

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 5:47 pm
Mama Bear- do you write under a pseudonym?

gp2.0

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 6:19 pm
And I would like to update that I got paid for my article in Mishpacha. (It took 5 months. Not that I was running after them the whole time...)

Alef Bais

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 6:51 pm
I like this thread! Sometimes I wish these magazines would publish a 'behind-the-scenes' exposé on how pieces make it from submissions to printed matter.

I tried wetting my toes and submitting to two of the magazines and was impressed with the way Mishpacha got back to me within a reasonable time frame. I was disappointed with Binah's unprofessional manner of dealing with submissions.

Never tried submitting anything to Ami.

Maybe one day.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 9:30 pm
Ive published under Rifkie weisner and Bassi sofer. Just submitted a beautiful piece to another mag under yet another pen name LOL. I gotta keep my ID covered...

quickchef

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 11:35 pm
I actually stand in awe of the quality of (most of the) writings in the Jewish mags... and marvel at how they are able to pay their writers to continually churn out original and high-quality content - while trying to run a profitable publication. In my estimation, the jewish audience/readership is not so large to be able to afford that... (though I'm glad that I'm obviously wrong...)

In any case, I am grateful to the publishers, writers and even wannabe/future writers - it is a real treat! (even if lately I haven't had the time to read cover to cover...!)

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 5:49 am
Edited out.

Don't ask.

Last edited by allrgymama on Tue, May 17 2011, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 11:22 am
allrgymama: simply put, they dont accept random reader submissions. You have to manage to get 'in' with an editor and be taken seriously. If you just email something it'll get lost. binah works differently; they like to work with their writers, together on the topic or theme, not assemble a hodgepodge of personal accounts, like in ami's 'our days'. so if you dont have a contact there, you're stuck.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 1:25 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
allrgymama: simply put, they dont accept random reader submissions. You have to manage to get 'in' with an editor and be taken seriously. If you just email something it'll get lost. binah works differently; they like to work with their writers, together on the topic or theme, not assemble a hodgepodge of personal accounts, like in ami's 'our days'. so if you dont have a contact there, you're stuck.

Any suggestions for poetry?

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 1:50 pm
The back page of binah is poems...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 2:08 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
The back page of binah is poems...

Does one need an in for that too?
I miss Horizons....

downsyndrome

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 2:28 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Mama Bear - I wish Binah would be as selective as you describe. Their essays are sometimes so juvenile that I just wanna scream. I get the impression that they are sometimes so desperate to fill the pages that they will print just about ANYTHING that's submitted. I'm quite surprised to learn differently, here.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room