Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Submissions to binah-mishpacha-ami
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

allrgymama

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 6:20 pm
@Mama Bear: if that is the case, and you need an 'in' to get a piece in to the Binah, they shouldn't have a submissions e-mail address. Everyone who wanted to be published could just call up their 'in' to get the super-secret e-mail address to send their stuff to and go from there.

And I've submitted pitches there to, that went nowhere.

It's also been my experience that the pieces that get the pieces that are most enjoyed are the one's that are personal accounts -- like Yitta Halberstam or Rochel Burstyn or Peshie Needleman. Informational articles are all very good and well, but I'd rather read an article about a woman than about why pain medications are called what they are.

Edited: And that last bit is based on my feelings as a reader and it has always been my opinion. It has nothing to do with the fact that I have submitted to them.

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, May 17 2011, 7:10 pm
Ok let me clarify some misunderstanding here:

1) If you submitted in the last 6 months, pls re-submit-- to submissions@binahmagazine.com We have now implemented a completely new system that should be much more efficient. Basically, you'll get an automated response and you'll need to choose a category for your piece and follow directions. It may seem complicated at first, but is actually a much simpler process.

2) I don't know how many submissions others get (though I did get numbers from another publication and they're much much less) but we get an avg of 35-50 a day (with one day getting as many as 80!) and when we realized that-- there is absolutely no way to read all the submissions, categorize them and give direction to writers without a full editorial staff devoted just to this. This is all for more than 75% of articles taht are not even printable. We'd like to give every writer a chance and that's why we've made a complete overhaul.

3) It was a misunderstanding that we're not taking submissions. What we are no longer taking are the 'random' stuff. An article will need to fit into specific sections/topics and it will be detailed in the automated response. You don't need an 'in' for the piece to be accepted but when you have already written for us several times, you have an editor who is 'all yours' and will read s/thing you send in very quickly. For features, we generally don't take submissions with very very rare exceptions because those are assigned to staff writers and are given out months ahead of time.

that's it in a nutshell. We're giving the new system a shot-- let's see how it goes. PM me with any feedback.

allrgymama

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 8:31 am
@ILOVELIFE:

1) So if it was submitted more than 6 months ago, I should not re-submit? I just want to be clear.

2) Hatzlacha with the new system! I hope it works! Might I suggest that if the people doing the editing have other obligations besides for reviewing submissions, that someone be hired to concentrate on that alone? And to then be the one person who chooses what gets passed on to the editorial board to make a final decision on?

3) For features: how is a writer who is not currently a staff writer able to get their hands on a feature piece, as it were? If you are no longer accepting 'random' submissions, I would imagine it would make it difficult for a person to ever be published several times altogether, let alone enough times to be invited on as a staff writer.

Thank you,

AllrgyMama

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 9:28 am
Thanks for explaining, ILoveLife!

about the 'in', well, once youve submitted plenty of times your name might get noticed and you might get an 'in'. My 'in' was simply ILoveLife!!! Not a major In. Smile

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 9:51 am
I was published once in Mishpacha and paid roughly $300. What I did was to pepper an informational article with many personal examples, to make it more appealing. You can read it here to see what I mean. (Spirit reprinted it with Mishpacha's permission.)

It was mentioned that 75% of submissions are not even printable. I remember Targum saying in their workshop something similar - that there is no market for most submissions. Basically, this means enough of Klal Yisrael has to be interested (it has to appeal to everyone over 12 - not be too foreign - sell in Boro Park) and that it has to meet today's strict tznius guidelines.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 10:05 am
allrgymama wrote:
@ILOVELIFE:

1) So if it was submitted more than 6 months ago, I should not re-submit? I just want to be clear. If you are unsure of a submitted article's status, email with the article attached.

2) Hatzlacha with the new system! I hope it works! Might I suggest that if the people doing the editing have other obligations besides for reviewing submissions, that someone be hired to concentrate on that alone? And to then be the one person who chooses what gets passed on to the editorial board to make a final decision on? We are not hiring one particular person but every editor is getting one section to take care of so it's not as overwhelming

3) For features: how is a writer who is not currently a staff writer able to get their hands on a feature piece, as it were? If you are no longer accepting 'random' submissions, I would imagine it would make it difficult for a person to ever be published several times altogether, let alone enough times to be invited on as a staff writer. feature writers either come with a lot of experience or what happens many times, is we print a few pieces by this writer and we like it and so we solicit more. However, there is an email address for feature pitches and at times, if something stands out, we'll risk it with a new writer

Thank you,

AllrgyMama

RobynBary

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 5:45 pm
So excited to discover this thread and was particularly flattered that allergymama mentioned me by name !!! Thank you, you made my day (and my week!!!)
Its so nice to discover other writers and hear about other peoples experiences... I just had a peice accepted by Ami, not too excited to read here that they're a bit behind on paying!!! I also miss Horizons, I found them to be a pleasure to work with and by the way, they raised their pay to I think 8c a word before they stopped publishing..

pumpkinsbubby

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 8:01 pm
When you submit an article, do you just submit it to one magazine at a time and wait weeks/months to see if it gets accepted before you submit it elsewhere? Or do you submit the same article to a few magazines at the same time and see who accepts it first?

Isramom8

Post Sat, May 28 2011, 3:23 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
When you submit an article, do you just submit it to one magazine at a time and wait weeks/months to see if it gets accepted before you submit it elsewhere? Or do you submit the same article to a few magazines at the same time and see who accepts it first?

I was advised that you get a bad name if you submit to multiple publications at one time. Each publication tells you when you are free to submit elsewhere.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 9:07 am
Once you submit something, how much time should you wait before following up? If you haven't heard anything in a week, is that too soon to follow up?

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 10:45 am
Binah used to request six weeks for a followup.!!!

From Ami I heard back pretty much immediately as well as from Mishpacha... but they both knew me already and expected the article so I dont know.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 10:55 am
However it never hurts to email them. you wont be a noodge. youre doing your job.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 12:19 pm
The avg I hear is 3 weeks. B"H since our new system was set up, it's more or less a week.

Tova

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 12:36 pm
Do you communicate negative response as well as positive?

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, May 29 2011, 3:07 pm
Tova wrote:
Do you communicate negative response as well as positive?

NO. We've found that it's simpler to just say yes or no. The moment we give a reason...writers tend to argue and say I'll change this or I'll do that or my friend liked it etc etc etc. This drains us of the real work and often it's not something we can explain it's just not for us.

mazeltov

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 12:51 pm
as per AMI:

"We pay 10 cents per word for most columns and yes, you should submit as often as you can. We respond as soon as we are able, but, as you see, it does take us some time to respond at times.
We will keep your identity anonymous, just put a pen-name on the document that you send us."

they responded within 1-2 weeks.

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:31 pm
I just heard back from Ami! Just when I was about to send them a follow-up Smile At least now I don't have to bother.

They took a week and a half to reply.

Smile1

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:33 pm
Can't wait to see you in print!!!
Very Happy

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:36 pm
Oh, you won't be seeing me in print so soon. They said, "We are sorry to inform you that we will not be publishing this submission, but we very much appreciate your interest in the magazine and the effort involved in sending it, and hope that you will continue to submit in the future."

I have now officially been rejected by Binah, Mishapacha, AND Ami!!! Wink

Smile1

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:41 pm
I hope this doesn't discourage you. I would estimate that one out of four of my submissions make it to print.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room