Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Submissions to binah-mishpacha-ami
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:45 pm
Smile1, what kind of pieces have you published?

Smile1

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:48 pm
Short stories and reflective essays basically.

Today's Off Duty column in Hamodia is my article. (Using a pseudonym.)

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:55 pm
I'll have to look out for it!

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 3:31 pm
So sorry Alef bais!!! was this same piece rejected by all 3 mags???

If they would only know who you really are maybe they would reconsider... have you told them you were previously a weekly columnist at a jewish publication???

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 3:58 pm
Funny, I havent even discussed/considered submitting to Hamodia! Anyone know how that process works?

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:15 pm
Mama Bear, this was a story never before submitted anywhere. I sent it off to another magazine as soon as I heard back from Ami. No, I never told Ami that I used to write elsewhere. Would that really make a difference with regards to a particular piece? Either they want it or they don't. Knowing my history isn't really going to change that.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:27 pm
The magazines DEFINITELY take experienced writers a lot more seriously. As a matter of fact, at one of the magazines I kept submitting pieces that kept getting rejected untiil an insider made them aware that I am a previously published writer and a good one at that Wink and they started looking at my stuff in a whole new light. but anyway, I hope you have more mazel at the other mags Smile

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:36 pm
Thanks! It happens to be, I previously mentioned my background at a different magazine for a different story, but it made no difference. Oh, well!

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Jun 10 2011, 2:41 pm
Smile1 wrote:
Short stories and reflective essays basically.

Today's Off Duty column in Hamodia is my article. (Using a pseudonym.)

I was searching for it in the weekly Hamodia, didn't realize it was in the DAILY! No wonder I didn't find it Sad I don't get the daily.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:36 am
Off duty is only in the weekly. It's in the magazine.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 2:29 am
ILL - will there be a binah on monday? Why did the 'coming soon' page in the shvuos edition talk only about june 20? wasa that a typo?

motherhen

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:12 pm
"Mama Bear - I wish Binah would be as selective as you describe. Their essays are sometimes so juvenile that I just wanna scream. I get the impression that they are sometimes so desperate to fill the pages that they will print just about ANYTHING that's submitted. I'm quite surprised to learn differently, here."

OMG I ttly agree and then im like if theyre printing such junk why they rejecting my stuff??? Sad I think like someone mentioned u gotta have an in with them or b their regular writer and then if u r theyl take pretty much anything u write, just doctor it up if needed. pretty sad for the rest of us....and dunno abt the new system...submitted three dif articles two got a reply within a wk and still dint hear abt the last one and its been over 3 wks-shi nudge???

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:18 pm
I also haven't heard from them and it's been almost two weeks for one article and more than a week for another. Of course, we've had a week of Yom Tov in between, so I frankly don't expect any miracles.

motherhen

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:41 pm
true...wat I liked abt the old system was tht they answered u rite away tht they received ur submission even tho u dint know if it was accepted for another six wks... now im just left hanging and wondering whats going on with my article...

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:19 pm
I guess I never experienced the old system then Smile When I first tried submitting an article to Binah, I NEVER heard back from them and it wasn't until I inquired about it weeks later until they got back to me.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 10 2011, 7:36 pm
????????????????

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 21 2020, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 9:31 pm
motherhen wrote:
"Mama Bear - I wish Binah would be as selective as you describe. Their essays are sometimes so juvenile that I just wanna scream. I get the impression that they are sometimes so desperate to fill the pages that they will print just about ANYTHING that's submitted. I'm quite surprised to learn differently, here."

OMG I ttly agree and then im like if theyre printing such junk why they rejecting my stuff??? Sad I think like someone mentioned u gotta have an in with them or b their regular writer and then if u r theyl take pretty much anything u write, just doctor it up if needed. pretty sad for the rest of us....and dunno abt the new system...submitted three dif articles two got a reply within a wk and still dint hear abt the last one and its been over 3 wks-shi nudge???

yes u should nudge. Were they all in one category? Which was the third that didn't get a response? The good part of the new system is that each category has its own editor so I can track where it might be

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 9:33 pm
motherhen-- thx for mentioning the lack of auto-response-- I'll check into it

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 9:33 pm
Alef Bais wrote:
I also haven't heard from them and it's been almost two weeks for one article and more than a week for another. Of course, we've had a week of Yom Tov in between, so I frankly don't expect any miracles.

pls PM me which section u sent something in for.

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 10:44 pm
Just to update: I did hear back after I resubmitted via the new system. Oddly, I only got a response about one thing but not the other.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room