Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you wear perfume every day?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mummy-bh

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:01 pm
sky wrote:
amother wrote:
Reason #3 is that I've been made aware that perfume really exists to attract the opposite gender, and By wearing perfume you not only make men aware of you specifically as a woman, but you encourage them to draw closer to you to getter a better whiff. Totally inappropriate for a married woman except in the exclusive presence of her dh.

So just wear a burka and hide in a cave...

Not nice. There is a basis for what she is saying even if not everyone follows it.

One of the reasons brought down that the beis hamikdash was destroyed is that women used to put smelly scents in their shoes and when they would walk it would release the scent to attract the men.

the mishna berurah says that it is forbidden to smell the perfume of any women that is erva to man, some say this inclues his own wife when she is in niddah.

But then again Ezra set up takanos for peddlers to circulate perfume and cosmetics so it obviously has a place.

I don't think there is anything wrong if it is minimal.

I do have a relative who can't go to shul ever even rosh hashana because the smell of the perfume makes her sick.
Thumbs Up
amother, it's shows a certain character trait to make fun of something you don't understand. As sky says, there is a basis in halacha for not wearing perfume. And yes, I learned that a husband may not smell his wife's perfume when she is nidda.

sgr

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 5:14 pm
Absolutely,I dont feel dressed without!

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 6:27 pm
No one would have mocked if she didn't pasken for everyone but said "I am not allowed".

I AM very much allowed, thanks.

Btw I have seen (smelled?) charedi rebbetzins who have more perfume on regular than I do on simchos.

sarahd

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 1:42 am
Where did she say allowed or not allowed?

Raisin

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 4:39 am
I also learned that I shouldn't wear perfume near my dh when I am nidda. So I can see how it would make life awkward if you wear perfume daily and suddenly stop wearing it for 2 weeks. Great fodder for nosy friends and relatives. I used to wear perfume quite often, haven't for a while. no reason specifically.

I am also sensitive to strong perfumes, I can only wear certain scents.

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 6:00 am
I do, usually. I have a few scents that I rotate, depending on mood/season/ time of day. It does give me a pick me up, I feel a bit more polished/put together with perfume.

I don't see it's that different than wearing scented deoderant (a smell which usually lasts longer, I'd say) or body lotion. Or even shampooing your hair with a scent that stays.

I don't think my dh notices when I wear perfume. I don't do it for him, I do it for me, like most of my cosmetic routine.

luscious

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 6:18 am
when I remember Very Happy

MamaDada

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 8:45 am
every day - but just a little bit. Don't want to cause sensory overload to anyone around me!

smilethere

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 8:48 am
When not nidda I wear every shabbos, and otherwise when going to weddings, special occasions etc.

I would love to wear something light and fruity for every day but as I work in close proximity with men, I prefer not to.

amother
White

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:37 am
luscious wrote:
when I remember Very Happy

LOL That's my answer, too. I love perfume, and I love wearing it, but most days I forget about it. So whenever I think of perfume, I'm sure to put it on!

Last edited by amother on Fri, Aug 21 2020, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:45 am
amother wrote:
Reason #3 is that I've been made aware that perfume really exists to attract the opposite gender, and By wearing perfume you not only make men aware of you specifically as a woman, but you encourage them to draw closer to you to getter a better whiff. Totally inappropriate for a married woman except in the exclusive presence of her dh.

you realize that the first paragraph and last sentence are contradicting. so please explain

amother

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 10:49 am
mummy-bh wrote:
sky wrote:
amother wrote:

Not nice. There is a basis for what she is saying even if not everyone follows it.

One of the reasons brought down that the beis hamikdash was destroyed is that women used to put smelly scents in their shoes and when they would walk it would release the scent to attract the men.

the mishna berurah says that it is forbidden to smell the perfume of any women that is erva to man, some say this inclues his own wife when she is in niddah.

But then again Ezra set up takanos for peddlers to circulate perfume and cosmetics so it obviously has a place.

I do have a relative who can't go to shul ever even rosh hashana because the smell of the perfume makes her sick.
Thumbs Up
amother, it's shows a certain character trait to make fun of something you don't understand. As sky says, there is a basis in halacha for not wearing perfume. And yes, I learned that a husband may not smell his wife's perfume when she is nidda.
remind me who wrote mishnah berurah..

Tablepoetry

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

you realize that the first paragraph and last sentence are contradicting. so please explain

It's two dif people answering, I think. Maybe she used the quote option incorrectly.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 3:32 pm
I wear perfume most days if I remember to put on...not alot just to create a nice smell around me.

About wearing it when nidda, I learnt that if you only wear it special times then during niddah it is not allowed.

myself

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 3:46 pm
smilethere wrote:
When not nidda I wear every shabbos, and otherwise when going to weddings, special occasions etc.

Me too. Not every day though since I work with men and don't think it's appropriate. I will sometimes put some on in the evening for DH.

sky

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:
mummy-bh wrote:
sky wrote:
amother wrote:

Thumbs Up
remind me who wrote mishnah berurah..

Chofetz Chaim.
that part is based on the shulchan aruch which says that a man is not allowed to make a bracha when smelling the perfume of a women who is forbidden to him because it is forbidden to smell it.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 3:58 pm
I wear perfume every day. It's part of my morning routine. I don't feel fully dressed without it.
I have different perfumes that I wear to work and to go out. My daytime perfumes are a lot lighter.

Fox

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 4:00 pm
I never wear it. My sense of smell has been almost destroyed by chronic sinusitis, and I'm always afraid I'll put too much on. BTW, women's sense of smell deteriorates with age -- that's why so many elderly ladies wear so much perfume that waves are virtually rolling off them. They don't realize they've overdone it!

Raisin

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 4:15 pm
I was inspired by this thread to put on perfume today. LOL

Nomie

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 5:04 pm
zaq wrote:

Exactly! Which is why I always spray some spoiled milk and vinegar on my neck before work so as to repel as many people as possible. It's just safer that way.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics