Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Moroccan cigars recipe or something with egg roll wrappers

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 5:58 pm
anyone know how to make moroccan cigars.. I bought egg roll wrappers. will that be good?? if not is there aanything to do with eggroll wrappers and ground beef? thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:04 pm
bnm has a great moroccan cigar recipe, and it calls for eggroll wrappers

bnm

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:22 pm
1 pound chopped meat
2.5 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder

fry the meat with oil, add garlic, cook a drop and add spices. let it cool off, put filling in wrappers, roll and seal with eggwhite. then fry tll golden on each side

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:45 pm
thanks bnm. how do I roll it and how much meat do I put in? sorry never did this before

bnm

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:47 pm
the eggroll wrappers usually come with instructions. which company did you get?

amother

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:55 pm
gefen

bnm

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 6:57 pm
I think they have printed insturctions on the wrapper

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 10:47 am
FYI, I omit the red pepper flakes.

Here is instructions for wrapping egg rolls (there's also a visual video)
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Egg-Rolls
wikihow.com wrote:
Stuff your rolls and don't allow seepage. Place your wraps on a clean surface so that the points are up and down and left and right (should appear as a diamond, not a square). Place the filling onto the rolls.

Wrap your rolls. Take the bottom point of your wrap and fold it over top of the filling. Fold the sides in towards the middle and roll the filling towards the top point of the wrapper.

Seal the egg roll. To prevent the egg roll from unwrapping in the deep fryer you need to seal the seams, this also prevents oil from filling the inside of the egg roll. In a small dish or bowl place a beaten egg. Dip your finger into the mixture and use this as glue to seal the top point of your wrap and any openings where you feel the wrap needs to be glued together.

Cook your egg rolls. Since deep fryer temperatures will vary and size of the egg rolls will affect the cooking time, there is no set cooking time. Place 3-4 egg rolls in the deep fryer and allow to cook until golden brown. Roll the egg rolls in the oil to evenly brown the wrapper. Avoid overcooking the egg rolls.

Serve immediately. Egg rolls are best served as soon as they have finished cooking.

Simple1

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:05 am
That recipe looks good!
But aren't cigars rolled much thinner than egg rolls. I'm thinking of the egg rolls you get in take out places.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:08 am
Simple1 wrote:
That recipe looks good!
But aren't cigars rolled much thinner than egg rolls. I'm thinking of the egg rolls you get in take out places.
You are right.
Original recipe calls for cutting the eggroll wrappers in half, filling, and then sealing with egg white.
Fry until golden on each side.

Simple1

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:13 am
ra_mom wrote:
Simple1 wrote:
That recipe looks good!
You are right.
Original recipe calls for cutting the eggroll wrappers in half, filling, and then sealing with egg white.
Fry until golden on each side.

Thanks.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 12:43 pm
bnm wrote:
1 pound chopped meat
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

fry the meat with oil, add garlic, cook a drop and add spices. let it cool off, put filling in wrappers, roll and seal with eggwhite. then fry tll golden on each side

I am looking to make this inside as a meatball or something. Does anyone know if I can just mix those spices and add an egg and either breadcrumbs or wet bread and bake or fry as meatballs? Do you think the flavor would be good? Does anyone bake meatballs? I usually boil them. How long? What temp? TIA

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 5:10 pm
I thought cigars are made with spring roll wrappers.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:45 pm
No I make my cigarim with phyllo leaves. The good bit is they can be baked, you don't have to deep-fry it.
You do need to cook the meat filling first because if you use raw meat the cigarim would be burnt by the time filling is cooked.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 7:55 pm
Fabulous wrote:
bnm wrote:
1 pound chopped meat
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

I am looking to make this inside as a meatball or something. Does anyone know if I can just mix those spices and add an egg and either breadcrumbs or wet bread and bake or fry as meatballs? Do you think the flavor would be good? Does anyone bake meatballs? I usually boil them. How long? What temp? TIA
Sure!
I once ran out of time and just used the spices (minus the red pepper flakes) to brown ground meat like I would for tacos. I served it over a salad with taco chips. It was delicious.
For meatballs, arrange on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
If crowding meatballs into a 9x13 pan, bake for 30 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen