Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Best place to live for English speakers?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 04 2011, 8:15 pm
My husband and I have always wanted to go on aliyah. After 6 years of marriage we are seriously thinking of finally making the move iy'H.

I really want to live somewhere where there are a LOT of English speakers. The typical options are RBS, Efrat, Ranaana and neighborhoods in Yerushalayim. We are also looking for possibly a smaller community with a diverse religious scene (We sort of are a blend between MO, Chabad, and some Israelis may see us as 'Chabakook' which I think is a combo of chabad, carlebach and Rav Kook. We also have a kesher with brisk...). I would also love a place that has everything we need right there, like shopping etc.

Please let me know which other communities fit the English speaking criteria and maybe my other wish list items.

-aliyah hopeful

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 2:30 am
Ma'ale Adumim has a big english speaking community. The vast majority of it is modern orthodox to chardal types, but you will find a sprinkling of others (I know there are chabad families here, but I don't personally know of any english speaking ones)

catonmylap

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 9:26 am
you could look at Tekoa too...(but it doesn't have everything right there)...

definitely add Maaleh Adumim to your list...

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:24 am
Can you be more specific about "everything we need"? Do you need a short commute to work? A big grocery chain? Clothing stores? Restaurants?

From what you've said so far, I might add Beit Shemesh (not the Rama, the other half of the city) to the list. Depending on what particular blend of MO and Chabad you are, and what kind of community you're looking for.

If you're looking for something cheaper, Tzfat also has a lot of English speakers, I think a couple thousand total, and a diverse community religiously.

There are a few dati leumi communities with a lot of English speakers - Beit El and Karnei Shomron come to mind. Beit El is pretty religiously uniform, though, and AFAIK only has one or two small stores; Karnei Shomron is more diverse and has a shopping area nearby.

Ariel has a growing English speaking population as well, and is very close to central Israel. I know it has both religious and secular communities but I'm not sure if there's anything hareidi/chassidish.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 10:50 am
Right off the bat, I'd say Yerushalayim (if you can afford it). There are so many kinds of communities there, and so many English-speakers, you're bound to find some place where you'll fit in just fine.

libramom

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 12:04 pm
yad binyamin.
I don't know if they have everything there but they are close to rbs modiin and jlem
the ppl (I think) are mo chrdal lots of americans

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 1:47 pm
I was going to suggest tekoa or possibly bat ayin.

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 1:52 pm
There is a big mix in Yad Binyamin but the Americans are more chardal. But it is $$$ to rent or buy there.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 8:23 am
what communities in yerushalayim would be best for a young family with a cross between chareidi and dati leumi, sort of like rbs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions