Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you keep on your kitchen shelves?

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:15 am
We have a tiny kitchen and I'm struggling for space to keep everything.

We are thinking to put shelves on one wall where there is no room for cabinets (there is a small, narrow shelf/ drawer unit on the floor under where the shelves would be) but I don't know what I could keep on them.

On my two lower level shelves I have a food processor and a couple of other appliances just because I haven't got anywhere else to keep them but they get dusty really quickly and I end up having to wash them before each use as well as after so I'm looking to find space for them in the cabinets.

But what can I keep on the shelves? I don't like things looking cluttered so at first I was thinking containers of stuff like flour, sugar, maybe pasta... but maybe it would be better to keep pots and pans there rather than food.

What do you keep on your kitchen shelves and how do you deal with the stuff getting dusty? I'm not too keen about having a whole lot of extra stuff to clean but is there a way to avoid it?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 11:57 am
I keep dry foods like flour and sugar on shelves in these containers

To keep appliances from getting dusty I cover them with a plastic shopping bag when not in use.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 05 2015, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 1:50 pm
I keep canned goods and boxed things like pasta.
You can also get nice-looking baskets or boxes for storing things of odd sizes/shapes - I use a nice square basket for containing bags of pasta, rice, etc; measuring cups/spoons/etc; if you get one with a cover that'll keep it from getting dusty. My kitchen isn't that dusty and I use these things often enough that I don't worry too hard about it...

amother

Post Sun, Jul 24 2011, 2:31 pm
Can you cover stuff with a pretty towel or folded tablecloth or something like that? I sometimes cover my mixer with a pretty pillowcase.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 1:06 pm
Like others have said, a neat shelf of canned goods, a neat shelf of small boxes (brown sugar, confectioner's sugar, quinoa, rice, couscous, etc), a neat shelf of cereal boxes...
Used often enough there shouldn't be a dust issue.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 25 2011, 2:37 pm
You can also install a roller window shade or venetian blind under the top shelf, cut to the same length as the shelf, and use it to hide the lower shelves. Then you can keep the top shelf completely bare or decorate with a small plant or three.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen