Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Book Thief
1  2  Next

Bleemee

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 5:16 pm
Have you read it? What do you think about BY high school students reading it? TIA

gp2.0

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 6:00 pm
One of my all-time favorite books.

Grandmama

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 6:59 pm
Fabulous book. Not sure if it would be suitable for your readers.

Bleemee

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 7:03 pm
Could you please provide details about might make it inappropriate for the girls?

Grandmama

Post Tue, Aug 09 2011, 7:15 pm
Because it is coming from a secular viewpoint, I seem to remember things that I would not have considered 100% appropriate for BY type of girls to learn in school. I would have to look at it again to pinpoint why.

Etonnemoi

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 10:08 pm
One of my Top Ten.

I wouldn't necessarily give it a blanket approval, though. Depends on your audience. It's very intense, there's an anthropomorphic personification of Death (if I recall correctly) which may give some less mature or more insular readers some cause for confusion, and there's some chaste kissing as I recall. Plus German cursing...?

But I'd hate to bring up the above because it's such an incredible book. (I wrote to Zusak and told him so - he wrote back!)

Every person should read it, regardless.

Grandmama

Post Wed, Aug 10 2011, 11:14 pm
Wow! A famous author wrote you back!
The book was amazing.
Beautifully written.
A must read for the more inquisitive amongst us.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:56 am
Me too! I loved it so much I wrote to the author, and he wrote back like 3 words of thank you but I was floored. Does this mean he actually answers ALL his fan mail? Most authors don't bother - too time consuming.

I would hate for this book to be dissected, English teacher style. Save the dissections for A Tale of Two Cities.

BlueCastle

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 12:40 am
I love reading bestsellers and classics especially, pretty much everything. A close friend told me to read The Book Thief. I simply could not get into it. It stands out in my memory as one of the only books I couldnt finish. I couldnt sympathise with the main charachters, and I found the whole subject matter impossibly boring. but that was just my opinion. I think high school kids would find it very heavy going, as well as very hard to identify with.

Grandmama

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:25 am
Maybe they do not get that many letters, after all most people who read a book do not write to the author.

eatingbagels

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 1:09 am
I just finished reading this right now. Crying Crying Crying
Amazing, amazing, amazing.
Also, the narration by Death actually comforted me the whole time.
Incredible incredible writing.
This book will sit with me for a long time.
Too much in my head that I can't express. This book was just intense in an indescribable way.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 1:34 am
I also LOVED the book. It was very intense, not sure its suitable for BY highschool girls though. The fact that it is from a totally secular pov might be a little hard for them to swalow and that death is portrayed as a separate entity without mention of Hashem at all might be a hashkafaik problem.

Grandmama

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 11:23 pm
Movie is coming out this week. Just watched the trailer. Sounds amazing!

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 06 2013, 11:36 pm
BlueCastle, I love your screen name! Was just thinking about that book today, and my other fave, Kilmeny.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:55 pm
Finally saw the movie. It was absolutely beautiful, very well done. Loved it.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 8:24 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see a reason to start a new one. I recently finished reading The Book Thief. I was very moved by the story.

But…

For some reason, my sons teacher has this book on a list of possible books for book reports. It is a list used for sixth and seventh graders in a community school. Is it just me, or is the subject and the narrative a bit heavy for 11 and 12-year-olds?

BetsyTacy

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 10:32 pm
I think this book would not be appreciated by children that young. Just because a child can understand the words does not mean s/he should be reading it.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 11:02 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see a reason to start a new one. I recently finished reading The Book Thief. I was very moved by the story.

But…

For some reason, my sons teacher has this book on a list of possible books for book reports. It is a list used for sixth and seventh graders in a community school. Is it just me, or is the subject and the narrative a bit heavy for 11 and 12-year-olds?

My nephew was assigned this book for 7th grade. It really is a great jumping off point for discussions about moral relativity. One of the themes is how words can compel people to perform acts of cruelty. There is also the themes of courage and literacy and power. I don't think that these are topics beyond the thinking of a 12 yo. My nephew and I had many good discussions regarding this book. This is a great area to explore with a 12 yo IMHO.

BetsyTacy

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 11:39 pm
There is a big difference if this book is assigned to be read as a class with appropriate, teacher-led discussions and explanations or if this book is assigned as a possible book report choice. Books read for book reports are not read as a jumping off point to a meaningful discussion.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Oct 08 2016, 11:54 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
There is a big difference if this book is assigned to be read as a class with appropriate, teacher-led discussions and explanations or if this book is assigned as a possible book report choice. Books read for book reports are not read as a jumping off point to a meaningful discussion.

My family and extended family all use public schools, jumping off points are typically my experience in integrated curriculums. YMMV Most major reading assignments for the kids were usually dinner table discussions where we could address larger life subjects.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room