Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is my baby/toddler sleeping to much??

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 3:39 pm
My 16 month old sleeps on average 12hrs at night. She used to take a 2-2.5 hr nap and get up.

Lately - maybe the last month or so - she still sleeps the 12 hrs and wakes up but when she naps I need to wake her up or she keeps sleeping. Today she went in for her nap over 5 hrs ago and is still sleeping although will probably be up any minute since she started moving around in her sleep. This goes on every day although usally I wake her after 3 hrs since I get scared it will effect her going to sleep at night - but I'm starting to realize that it doesn't and she still gets tired at night. And she's in such a great mood on the days when I let her sleep for long.

Is there any reason to worry about this? Or is it just a growth spurt and I should enjoy the extra time?

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 3:47 pm
She's napping for over 5 hours already? This is concerning, please discuss it with your doctor.
How is she otherwise? Is she eating and drinking ok? Does she seem low energy or lethargic?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:04 pm
Are you seeing that she’s actually sleeping the whole time? My baby relaxes in the crib sometimes even if he’s not sleeping and if left long enough would probably fall asleep for a second nap. But 5 hours is long. Investigate what’s happening and speak to a doctor if she’s actually sleeping that long.

Eta: I never left a child in a crib for so long. In fact I pulled him out of a babysitter because she left him in there for 3 hours which I felt was too long.

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:08 pm
My gosh, something is wrong.

My baby is 8 months old and sleeps 11 hours at night, 8-7. I do nurse him in mid. Of night.
And he takes 2 naps for an hr. Each.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:11 pm
Call your doctor to see if they are concerned. This is not typical and would alarm me, if I was the mother.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Are you seeing that she’s actually sleeping the whole time? My baby relaxes in the crib a lot even if he’s not sleeping and if left long enough would fall asleep for a second nap. But 5 hours is long. Investigate what’s happening and speak to a doctor if she’s actually sleeping that long.

As a side point, Even if she's not sleeping that long, you don't leave a kid in a crib for 5 hours. You shouldn't even be letting a kid nap for 5 hours.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:19 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
She's napping for over 5 hours already? This is concerning, please discuss it with your doctor.
How is she otherwise? Is she eating and drinking ok? Does she seem low energy or lethargic?

Thanks. She's up now and happly eating her lunch.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Are you seeing that she’s actually sleeping the whole time? My baby relaxes in the crib a lot even if he’s not sleeping and if left long enough would fall asleep for a second nap. But 5 hours is long. Investigate what’s happening and speak to a doctor if she’s actually sleeping that long.

Eta: I never left a child in a crib for so long. In fact I pulled him out of a babysitter because she left him in there for 3 hours which I felt was too long.

Thanks. Good point. Will try to monitor her naps more often the next few days -and check on her every 15-30 minutes to make sure shes really sleeping the whole time and then discuss with the doctor

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:25 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
As a side point, Even if she's not sleeping that long, you don't leave a kid in a crib for 5 hours. You shouldn't even be letting a kid nap for 5 hours.

Why not? She's so much happier now that she is so rested... Although I did start to miss her Smile

I never allowed her to cry in her crib and if I hear she's up and playing nicely in there, I always come to take her out withen 15 minutes or so...

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why not? She's so much happier now that she is so rested... Although I did start to miss her Smile

I never allowed her to cry in her crib and if I hear she's up and playing nicely in there, I always come to take her out withen 15 minutes or so...

She’s sleeping 3/4 of the day. That is a lot of sleep.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 4:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Because it's not Ok or healthy for a kid to sleep this much. She's sleeping most of the day. If a kid needs so much sleep to be rested, then something is wrong. Wake her up after a couple of hours, don't let her nap for 5+ hours.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 5:00 pm
This is not normal or healthy. Take her to the dr and insist on blood work. Could be as simple as mild anemia or something really bad.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:35 am
Blessing1 wrote:
Because it's not Ok or healthy for a kid to sleep this much. She's sleeping most of the day. If a kid needs so much sleep to be rested, then something is wrong. Wake her up after a couple of hours, don't let her nap for 5+ hours.

ectomorph wrote:
This is not normal or healthy. Take her to the dr and insist on blood work. Could be as simple as mild anemia or something really bad.

Thanks it helps to know I have legitimate reason and am not just going to seem like a nervous mother Smile

And I dont normally let her sleep so long. I normally wake her up when it gets close to 3hrs (she used to just wake up on her own after 2-2.5hrs), although there has been a few times that I let it go on for 3.5 hrs since something happen to come up when I was going to wake her. I figured maybe it was a growth spurt or something but started to worry a little so decided see what would happen if I dont wake her up - would she really just keep sleeping... and when she did for more then 5hrs yesterday I got really nervous so posted on here.

After yesterdays long nap she went to bed 5 hours later (although was tired 4 hrs later) then slept 14 hrs but did wake up to get changed/nursed so probably slept more like 13hrs plus is possible she did play a little in middle sometime like someone else mentioned (she does play nicely somtimes on her own) and I just dont know because I was sleeping. Then napped for 3hrs today and did wake up on her own - which is better than yesterday...

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 19 2020, 12:41 am
Still sounds like too much. Basic blood work should rule out anything really terrible. Even if it's something simple like anemia you want to know because long term anemia can harm neurological development

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 8:50 pm
OP how is your daughter doing? Did you speak to her doctor?

amother1223

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:08 pm
Following. My 2.5 year old is the same way

snowflake1

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:53 pm
My son did this when he was 12 months old. He slept up to 18 hours a day. he ended up being very very anemic we almost had to do an iron infusion but BH came up after a month with vitamins. he also ate non-food items which is called pika which was another indication that he was anemic. I never had a problem with him since then BH. he was a very picky eater

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
OP how is your daughter doing? Did you speak to her doctor?

Thanks for asking Smile I took her to the doctor last week. He said it can just be that's she's bored/not stimulated enough but we should take a blood test to rule out anything else. So we are waiting for results.

She's still doing crazy amounts of sleep (like 16-18hrs) that make me really nervous but then there can be a day here or there where her sleep is more normal (like 14 -15 hrs ) and I tell myself maybe it's nothing...

Anyways I guess I'll know more once I get the results.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for asking Smile I took her to the doctor last week. He said it can just be that's she's bored/not stimulated enough but we should take a blood test to rule out anything else. So we are waiting for results.

She's still doing crazy amounts of sleep (like 16-18hrs) that make me really nervous but then there can be a day here or there where her sleep is more normal (like 14 -15 hrs ) and I tell myself maybe it's nothing...

Anyways I guess I'll know more once I get the results.

Are you trying to keep her busy give her more stimulation while the bloodwork is coming back?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics