Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bread machine - yay or nay?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:12 am
My mother has a breadmaker. I dont know how much she uses it now but if I had one I would use it all the time!
The smell of fresh bread when you wake up iin the morning, fresh warm bread for school lunch, chocolate chip bread for a treat, olive and oregano bread for sunday lunches..not to mention quick pizza doughs and challah doughs. YUM!
Totally worth the investment imo!

natalia

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 8:17 am
I have one, and I really love it!
I make challah evry week, is so easy!

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:15 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
It used to be hard to slice it thin, but now I have a knife with a slicing guide like this http://www.amazon.com/Victorin.....r=8-5 I bought it locally for much cheaper than that one. Otherwise, it is hard to slice thin.

The only downside is that it makes a lot of crumbs when slicing.

Hence I now totally get the expression, "the best thing since sliced bread!"

LOL I see what you mean!! I need to find me one of those really good bread slicers. It really is hard to slice thin slices!

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 9:51 am
I love mine I actually use it as a mixer Very Happy ....we make bread dough , pretzels ,cookie dough , play dough. Is one of those rainy or snowy day activities that keeps me sane during the long COLD, gray depressing canadian winters LOL

Mishie

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 11:20 am
Another vote for breadmachines!!!

I've been using one for the past 10 years, and love it!!

I make my challah doughs in it. And the doughs for almost everything I bake which isn't cookies or cakes.

Bagels
Onions rolls
Kokush cake
Cinnamon buns
Pizza dough
Soft pretzels
Etc... Etc...

As u can tell, I don't really use it for loaves.... But on the rare occasion that I do, I find the easiest way to slice is to first cut down the middle of the loaf. Length wise. And then slice each half loaf separately.
It's a pretty wide loaf, so "half a sandwich" is pretty generous.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:12 pm
I don't get it. How do you make bagels, onion rolls etc. in the machine? Do you just have it knead the dough for you instead of a mixer?
I still haven't figured out how to make my machine stop after the rising and kneading...

EmesOrNT

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:26 pm
I have a breadmaker but I never used it yet. the idea was to have it run at night so the boys will have fresh bread for brkfst every morning - yknow different recipes and watevs, but I never got around to figuring out how to use it.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:28 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
I don't get it. How do you make bagels, onion rolls etc. in the machine? Do you just have it knead the dough for you instead of a mixer?
I still haven't figured out how to make my machine stop after the rising and kneading...

Mine's a $40 Sunbeam from Walmart, and it has a "dough only" setting to do just that!

I use it for challah every Friday, after it rises, I take it out and put 3 balls into each rectangular challah loaf pan. Making challah is super fast, since I only do braiding for Yom Tov or special occasions!

baba

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 1:30 pm
ChossidMom wrote:

Yes, it's just the dough. Mine has a setting just to make dough. I think most machines have this.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:02 pm
Got it. Found the Dough setting.
So you use it to mix your dough and let it rise and then you mess around with shapes and stuff?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:08 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Got it. Found the Dough setting.
So you use it to mix your dough and let it rise and then you mess around with shapes and stuff?

Precisely. I do try to keep the mess to a minimum though:)

wereafamily

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 3:16 pm
Nothing like waking up for fresh bread...

The first thing on my wish list is a good bread machine!

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Nov 30 2011, 3:43 pm
If you have self control issues reg food you definately have to be strong.

I don't have one, but my dad has one. He makes the most yummy, fresh, whole weat with seeds and whatever bread. It tastes like heaven, warm or cold but warm its a treat.. Thick slices of yumminess, hard to resist!!!

I do recommend you get a good one (google around) and enjoy!!!

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 7:43 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a breadman bread machine and I love it. I have it for about 4 years already. Like Liba, I also use mine for mixing as the non-stick coating makes clean-up a breeze.

I don't think it's in place of store-bought bread...more like extra treats for my family. I use it to make special breads, like whole-wheat banana (whenever our bananas are overripe - my kids LOVE this bread, soft and sweet), or whole-wheat zucchini (my favorite - my SIL says it tastes like going gourmet), and also regular bread but I can't say I do it all the time - more like special. Sometimes I make a loaf on Friday that we eat for Seuda Shelishis - especially in the summertime - yum!

I also use it for pizza dough (fabulous!), babka dough, rugalach, garlic knots, etc....

whole wheat zucchini bread recipe please! And how much bread does it make (my machine needs different settings - 1 lb, 1.5 lb, or 2lb)

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 7:47 pm
I love my Breadman machine. I use it for loaves of raisin bread for breakfast, olive bread (half a can, rinsed) for lunch, and to make dough for challahs for Shabbos.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 19 2015, 7:52 pm
I imagine the thread is resolved, I was just fishing for recipes.

Joy of Motherhood

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 5:25 am
Just moved out of town and need a good machine to make bread for family of 6. What brand do you have? Post links if possible pls

miami85

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:51 am
Where we live there are very few kosher bread options that can keep up with my family. Our bread machine is only about a year old and has more than paid for itself. Its great to put up a loaf before bed and wake up to fresh bread (though we don't do that as much any more b/c its often too hot to handle first thing in the morning) My husband works from home and can put up a batch of dough for a quick batch of challos before Shabbos. We make pizza dough, banana bread, and also whole wheat bread.

4pom

Post Thu, Oct 24 2019, 8:55 am
miami85 wrote:
Where we live there are very few kosher bread options that can keep up with my family. Our bread machine is only about a year old and has more than paid for itself. Its great to put up a loaf before bed and wake up to fresh bread (though we don't do that as much any more b/c its often too hot to handle first thing in the morning) My husband works from home and can put up a batch of dough for a quick batch of challos before Shabbos. We make pizza dough, banana bread, and also whole wheat bread.

Would love the recipes. Esp banana bread. Thanks

meyerlemon44

Post Sun, Nov 03 2019, 1:18 pm
I bought one and it really enhances my oneg Shabbos by being able to serve fresh, homemade challah without slaving over a miser for hours.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics