Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is triangle K all right?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 1:58 pm
Just a comment about hashgachot...
My father works in the buisness and has had many interesting stories over the years. In terms of "reliable" hashgachot, you would be surprised as to which "reliable" companies that flat out lie about certain products being pas yisroel. My father literally was once doing a supervison in a commercial bakery and once saw the hispanic workers stuffing the buns in the bags that had a so called "reliable" hashgacha on it. The bags also said that the buns were pas yisroel, which was impossible because a) my father works for a different company than the one on the bags and 2) he was just doing a yotze vnichnas inspection, there was NO MASHGIACH TAMIDI at this place. So, if you follow pas yisroel, beware.... embarrassed

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 2:33 pm
pas yisroel means baked by a Jew, not packaged by. Maybe a Jew turned on the oveN? ANY jewish workers there?
THough I do believe there are a lot of kulos, etc, involved in kashrus

Hannah!

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 3:10 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 5:34 am
They were baked and packaged by the non-Jewish workers. As I mentioned, my father only was performing a "yotzei v nichnas" inspection for a different group. My Dad joked with us that they should call the rolls "pas hispanic".

su7kids

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 8:36 am
Rabbi Eidlitz on the WestCoast is a major maven on kashrus and Hashgochas. If you have any questions, and its not found on his website, www.kosherquest.org, you can email him and ask him.

Raisins apparently don't need a hechsher at all, therefore it doesn't matter that it has a triangle-k, but we don't use it on other things.

I don't blieve its good on Motts apple juices, etc.

The problem with the items is not always the ingredients that they use, but the machinery and what it is used for besides those items that appear kosher. My dh works for the OU and many of his visits are for kashering equipment.

In the times of economic slump, like now, the factories use their machinery for many items, and the kosher item is just one of them.

He found bottled water where they do bottled milk products on the same machinery and has to be there when they kasher from one run to another., etc.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 8:43 am
su7kids wrote:
Rabbi Eidlitz on the WestCoast is a major maven on kashrus and Hashgochas. If you have any questions, and its not found on his website, www.kosherquest.org, you can email him and ask him.

Raisins apparently don't need a hechsher at all, therefore it doesn't matter that it has a triangle-k, but we don't use it on other things.

I don't blieve its good on Motts apple juices, etc.

The problem with the items is not always the ingredients that they use, but the machinery and what it is used for besides those items that appear kosher. My dh works for the OU and many of his visits are for kashering equipment.

In the times of economic slump, like now, the factories use their machinery for many items, and the kosher item is just one of them.

He found bottled water where they do bottled milk products on the same machinery and has to be there when they kasher from one run to another., etc.

Raisins 100% do need a hechsher!!!!!!!
Someone once explained to me the process, I don't remember exactly but pig and treif came up many times in the that explanation. We were having a conversation about hechshers and someone said, uch what could be 'not kosher' about some things, like lets say raisins. And so someone explained the process of how they make a raisin, and we were all shocked at how trief the process could be! Do not eat raisins without a hechsher!!

su7kids

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 3:18 pm
I copied and pasted your words and send them to Rabbi Eidlitz. This is his response:

Rabbi Eidlitz
to me

Sounds like a good story but it is not so. None of the kashrus agencies find any issue and the O/U endorses for Pesach as well due to the fact they they are sun dried with no additives. Kol Tuv

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:47 am
Bumping this up. I purchased some stroopwafels from Trader Joe's but am now questioning if it is reliably certified.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:48 am
JRKmommy wrote:
I've seen it on juices and frozen stuff, and was wondering.

No one I know holds from it.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Bumping this up. I purchased some stroopwafels from Trader Joe's but am now questioning if it is reliably certified.

What I've heard is that they hold by non-mainstream leniencies. Non-glatt meat and something about oil transportation.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 3:42 pm
Chani wrote:
funny that this came up today! My 4 year old threw a pack of raisins with a triangle K into the grocery cart today and I didn't notice it until I got home. Right before I came online I was just on the phone with our rav who said that for SunMaid raisins it would be okay to keep them.

Raisins that are product of USA do NOT require a hechsher at all.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:14 pm
amother wrote:
no it's not. as previous posters have said-only certain items from the triangle k are acceptible- a lot depends on what is in the product.

as the rov said to me when I asked him about ocean spray cranberry juice w/ the triangle k "ignore the triangle k- you can use it!!"

Problem with cranberry juice without a reliable hechsher is that it is often a "juice blend", hardly ever just straight up cranberry juice (which is bitter) with sugar & water - it normally includes grape juice as the sweetener. Problem would be yayin nesech.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:17 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:
Someone once explained to me the process, I don't remember exactly but pig and treif came up many times in the that explanation. We were having a conversation about hechshers and someone said, uch what could be 'not kosher' about some things, like lets say raisins. And so someone explained the process of how they make a raisin, and we were all shocked at how trief the process could be! Do not eat raisins without a hechsher!!

Problems include the glazing agent - could be a trief oil; drying agents; non-kosher preservatives; Infestations of bugs... the list goes on.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Quince wrote:

I saw that too and really wanted to try it!
If you find anyone reliable who approves, please let us know!

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:24 pm
Not reliable but we do use it for certain products such as prune juice and pineapple packed in it's own juice (not with syrup)

imasinger

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 4:36 pm
The star K magazine and website offers some good education about details of kashrus.

But the most important part -- when in doubt, AYLOR.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 6:46 pm
I used to work for a large kashrus agency in North America. Triangle K was not accepted nope in our certified products. I wouldnt buy it, though def you can speak with the rav since this info was a few years ago and I have a different job now.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Problems include the glazing agent - could be a trief oil; drying agents; non-kosher preservatives; Infestations of bugs... the list goes on.

Crc says they do not require a hechsher. Star-k says that raisins sold for retail don't also don't need certification, but raisins sold commercially for baking do. The star k and crc and ou all say that bugs are not a problem in raisins. OU looked into the issue again when there were concerns about raisin infestations years ago and they mainted their position. There's a whole article about the kashrus of raisinsn from if you are interested.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:36 pm
mimsy7420 wrote:

In addition, raisins can have a high level of infestation.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I saw that too and really wanted to try it!
If you find anyone reliable who approves, please let us know!

There was a time my Costco was carrying these
Rip Van WAFELS Dutch Caramel & Vanilla Stroopwafels - Healthy Snacks - Non GMO Snack - Keto Friendly - Office Snacks - Low Sugar (3g) - Low Calorie Snack - 12 Count (Packaging May Vary) https://a.co/d/4inzipQ

Pretty good imo (my kids weren't as into them)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen