Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How would you feel if your kid's teacher...
1  2  Next

MMEC123

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:08 pm
I teach 4 year olds in an MO day school. My co-teacher, while teaching about the parsha, has been busy talking about pregnancy (Yaakov and Eisav). She told them about how babies grow and develop inside the mother and how babies kick, etc. She went to the library and took out a book that has photos of fetuses during different stages of gestation. The final few pages show a baby after it is born. The first of such pictures shows the baby lying on his mother's naked chest. The next few pictures show a baby nursing with very up-close clear shots of the mother's breasts. I felt like it was a little inappropriate to be showing the class. She said "So what? So they'll laugh." Obviously I think nursing is a beautiful thing and have no shame about the human body but I felt that especially because they are four and this is completely irrelevant to their ability to learn parsha, it was not necessary or even appropriate to show them. What do you think?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:12 pm
It's totally inappropriate and not tzniyus. She's using the parasha to justify showing them that? Confused Exploding anger

mali

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:16 pm
I can't answer the original question, because none of my kids' teachers would do such a sick thing.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:18 pm
Totally inappropriate! There are much better ways of explaining pregnancy to 4 year olds, and many more appropriate pictures. I'm sure at least one parent will complain!

Tefila

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 2:43 pm
As a teacher of that age group myself I can say it is totaly unappropiate. Exclamation

Crayon210

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 3:29 pm
100% inappropriate.

mumoo

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 3:34 pm
isn't there a preschool director or menaheles that supervises the curriculum? maybe she should be alerted before the next time

JMto2

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 3:36 pm
I would not be very happy if my child came home telling me they were taught and shown about this I believe it is a mothers job to tell there child all this if they want them to know.

cindy324

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 3:36 pm
Wow shock

I wonder what the kids are telling the parents right about the time they ask " So what did you learn in school today?"

MMEC123

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:19 pm
I'm happy to see I wasn't over reacting. After she totally brushed me off I thought maybe I was losing it (I'm not yet a mother so I can only use my imagination as to how I would feel so thank you for validating my feelings). This is the same teacher who taught about bris mila (in reference to Avraham a few parshiyos back) and went into full in-depth detail of the process and steps of a bris. There is a director. Unfortunately she's not that involved. I know that my co-teacher turns exceedingly volatile if anyone disagrees with her or tells on her... I hope the parents complain because I don't know if I can risk my working relationship with her (I can't have the rest of the year where she is awful to me, which happens when she gets upset...).

Nomad

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:26 pm
explaining the graphic details of a bris actually concerns me more than showing breasts

I hope she didnt show pictures for that shock

Last edited by Nomad on Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:27 pm
MMEC123 wrote:
This is the same teacher who taught about bris mila (in reference to Avraham a few parshiyos back) and went into full in-depth detail of the process and steps of a bris. There is a director. Unfortunately she's not that involved. I know that my co-teacher turns exceedingly volatile if anyone disagrees with her or tells on her... I hope the parents complain because I don't know if I can risk my working relationship with her (I can't have the rest of the year where she is awful to me, which happens when she gets upset...).

It does not sound as if this woman should be teaching young children or working with people if she become "volatile" I think you should say something to the director. You don't want the parents to think you approve of this type of teaching.

micki

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:32 pm
and I had a hard time when the teacher taught them about the yetzer hora- now my son is blaming everything on the yetzer hora.
I would be HORRIFIED if my son came home with either of that!!!!!!!!!

MMEC123

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
MMEC123 wrote:
This is the same teacher who taught about bris mila (in reference to Avraham a few parshiyos back) and went into full in-depth detail of the process and steps of a bris. There is a director. Unfortunately she's not that involved. I know that my co-teacher turns exceedingly volatile if anyone disagrees with her or tells on her... I hope the parents complain because I don't know if I can risk my working relationship with her (I can't have the rest of the year where she is awful to me, which happens when she gets upset...).

It does not sound as if this woman should be teaching young children or working with people if she become "volatile" I think you should say something to the director. You don't want the parents to think you approve of this type of teaching.

Agreed! Trust me. The director knows. There's a whole crazy history here which I can't go into. Let's just say nothing is going to change. It's a sad situation and I could rant on and on for hours but I guess that would be pointless... OY.

MMEC123

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 4:34 pm
Nomad wrote:
explaining the graphic details of a bris actually concerns me more than showing breasts

I hope she didnt show pictures for that shock
B"H no pictures. My mouth literally dropped open when she started sharing the details. I get the feeling she was one of those mothers who believed in answering children's questions to the fullest on an adult level (I.e. when a kid says "where does a baby come from" giving a whole birds and bees talk instead of answering on their level). I guess the one thing that saves her is at this age, when you ask most kids what they learned in school that day, they say "nothing". Maybe they just don't repeat back. I don't know ?!?!

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 5:08 pm
I am going to say something not usually said by teachers. Work with parents to move her out. We had a teacher like this who became the assist. principal by politics and such. Eventually she not only got fired but divorced on "religious grounds". I am not saying this is what has to happen, but she is definitely not suited to teach gan or grade school. Most 4 yr olds don't even know that there is more than what you tell them and knowing too much, esp in the bris, can disturb them.

mumoo

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 9:04 pm
I had an preschool assistant once whose daughter attended the class. one day, in a fit of anger she yanked the girls arm and started smacking her on her bottom repeatedly (the girl had been whining)

the whole class stared in horror, two other 4 year olds started crying-they had no idea this was her daughter (as if that really made a difference)

I told our director. the woman was removed from my class and merely put into a different one

happy2beme

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 5:45 am
mumoo, that is terrible- tears came to my eyes when reading that.

the poor daughter! if she does that in public who know what she does in private!!!!!

mumoo

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 7:48 am
in all these cases its a double tragedy-
the 'teacher's' influence on the children and the directors apparent lack of influence on the health of the program

queen

Post Tue, Nov 21 2006, 7:54 am
If a teacher didn't have the right common sense to realize that inapropriate- I'd get my kid out of that group immediately. Who knows what else the teacher is infiltrating into our kids minds??!!?!??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers