Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanukah party food, help!

mynameismom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 11:08 am
I am having a party for between 40-50 ladies.
I've never made a function for so many people before. Can I get some suggestions for types of food and amounts to serve? So far I was thinking about having three different types of latkes 100 small/medium ones of each flavor. Toppings for the latkes, two different types of salads, I'm thinking of a beautiful green salad and either a cabbage salad or a sesame pasta salad. I also want to have cakes and fruit available. Must I serve donuts? I'm not going to make them. I was thinking of franczoz donuts because they are cheaper per piece and I love them but they don't seem like chanukah sufganiot to me.

What am I missing here? I have hot food, salad, fruit and mezonos. I am scared of running out of foods because I didn't prepare enough. Can anyone whos made a big party like this give me some tips? thanks so much!

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 11:29 am
Is this meant to be a meal or an after-dinner get together type of event? If it's the former, you may want to consider serving a main dish, such as lasagna, pizza, fettuchini, eggplant parmesan, etc. (I just assumed you are doing milchigs Smile)

if you want a stam cute idea, I used an idea from Mishpacha about 4 years ago. You cut chanukah shapes out of flour tortillas and fry them until golden. I did dreidels and I served them on an oblong platter with guacomule and salsa for dipping.

mynameismom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 11:40 am
It's an after dinner party. I love that idea about the chanukah shaped fried tortillas!

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 12:48 pm
In that case, I think you have more than enough food. I would vote for the pasta salad over cabbage, just in case there are people who haven't really eaten dinner - that could be pretty filling. I wouldn't do cake and donuts and fruit, though. I would choose fruit with either of the other two.

Another cute idea for set up is to spread chocolate coins, small dreidels, and chanukah sequins (the ones that say happy chanukah, stars, menorahs, etc.) all over the tables. Also blue and white m&ms if you want.

Not that you were askign for these types of idea, but this one just popped into my mind, so I thought I'd share: You can set up the room with 4 tables and as the women come in, have them spin the dreidel to find out if they are sitting at the nun, gimmel, hay, or shin table. Smile

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 12:49 pm
Also, make sure to have plenty of drinks!

sbs

Post Thu, Dec 08 2011, 7:22 pm
I would think you need more than 2 salads, unless you're having alot of each, in my crowd more salad would go than latkes, I would have total 100-150 latkes, that's 2-3 per person and more salad

xoxo1

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 7:40 am
any dessert?

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 12:53 pm
300 latkes seems like a lot for 40-50 people - I agree ladies will eat more from the salads than from the latkes. Or maybe you can put a vegetable platter with dips and maybe some breadsticks and flatbreads too. Or a fruit platter.

mynameismom

Post Fri, Dec 09 2011, 2:56 pm
cutting down to 50 latkes per flavor. There will be various cakes/ cookies and fruit for dessert.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:01 pm
cute tortilla chips idea!

u definitely need more salads for 40-50 women!

even a cut up vegi platter

a cut up fruit platter - or 2.... or a fruit triffle

u can even do easy stuff like popcorn and chips and salasa and guacamole and chummus, caramel popcorn, mikenikes,
just some nish grab and snack on foods..

naomi2

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:35 pm
it all sounds lovely but remember that latkes are a pain to make-very time consuming and if you make them in advance they don't taste as good. you will be much more relaxed if you just make one kind of interesting latke. im curious what kinds you are making
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics