Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Did you ever have to buy Treif on the job?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 4:28 pm
Crayon210 wrote:

You are being extremely obnoxious. My comments shouldn't anger you. I am not self-righteous or conceited. I just know that in a situation like this, you call a rav. That's all. That's about all that's cut and dry. That's why I think you should speak to a rav in this situation: because things AREN'T cut and dry.

Mmm don't think that I am being obnoxious to state that sometimes one has to do things that are not all that easy nor with in our personal comfort range. Not obnoxious, just seeing something in a different light.

Quote:

You are making it obvious that your job comes before halacha. That's fine for you if that's what you want to do, but don't pretend that I'm the one who's wrong here. You are.

First off I am not PRETENDING anything, I didn't say that you were wrong. You comments are truthful and correct at times. It is the way that it is stated, and how they are received. I'm talking about impression. In any case, according to the above comment, I guess I am a very bad Jew wanting my family to prosper and survive. Yes my job is NOT Jewish friendly. I put up with MANY issues, and not all them nice. In fact sometimes it is very scary. But please don't let that deter you. I have to do many things that I would rather not. But I am not wrong in the thought that we have to do things in order to survive.

I think that you will be happy to know that I took your advice and talked with a RAV. And I was told that when times call for it....and in my situation, it DOES (I am NOT saying that everyone is in the same ark as I am either.) one may do what is needed to see that the family survives. As long as I make the effort to do things( IE Daven, kosher, ect....) In fact your next comment:

Quote:
It might not be easy, but it is assur to work on Shabbos and Yom Tov. I don't think you need to ask a rav about that, that's one of the few things that's cut and dry, and I don't think anyone is going to disagree with that.

Was talked about. If one is going to lose a "valued" ( and that can be seen different for each person) job. then you do what you have too. And the issues is between you and HaShem. "End of story." (Quote from rav.) No it is not ideal, however we are NOT living in an ideal world.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 5:15 pm
What kind of Rav was that?

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 6:14 pm
Quote:
What kind of Rav was that?

possibly a self appointed one Twisted Evil

roza

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 6:28 pm
On the other hand we don't tell all our mekurovim out right to quit work on Shabbos, we acknowlege the need for growth and give room to grow, looks like amother is in the case like this.
It's obvious that Shabbos comes before job but many ppl are not there yet. Just keep it in mind. Crayon's posts are not about what ppl are doing or should be doing but about what does it say in the Book.

p.s. I am not commenting about Rabbi's statements, but about amother's situation.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:22 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, Feb 19 2008, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 12:18 am
Quote:
in most cases a rabbi will probably say that if it will cost your parnassa then you have to do it

Look how many doubtful expressions there are in this statement. I think if you *ask* the Rov, it would be a bit clearer, no?

Now, I know all about doing a questionable thing without asking because one is afraid the answer will be no. Doesn't mean it's right.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 11:31 am
I never said what form of Jewdisim that I follow. But be safe to say that I am not a "bagel Jew". But I am a MO. This particular job fell into my lap at a time that we really needed it as my DH is not working and he lost his job. So we had to take waht we could get.

This is not to say that I am not all that comfortable with some of the duties that I have to preform, such as picking yo treif products for the comapny, but I need this job to pay the bills. Hopefully this will not be forever, and the DH will get a job very soon.

(I would rather be at home with the kids and taking care of the house and family. 8) )

Crayon210

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 11:58 am
amother wrote:
I never said what form of Jewdisim that I follow. But be safe to say that I am not a "bagel Jew". But I am a MO. This particular job fell into my lap at a time that we really needed it as my DH is not working and he lost his job. So we had to take waht we could get.

This is not to say that I am not all that comfortable with some of the duties that I have to preform, such as picking yo treif products for the comapny, but I need this job to pay the bills. Hopefully this will not be forever, and the DH will get a job very soon.

(I would rather be at home with the kids and taking care of the house and family. 8) )

Just because you claim to be MO doesn't mean anything. That doesn't make what you're doing right.

If you haven't asked a rav about picking up treif products, then you might be doing something wrong. And being MO doesn't change that.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 6:07 pm
Apperently Crayon you have not read my posts very well. I believe that I said that I DID consult a rav.

At this point I believe that I will divorce myself from this conversation. I fear that I am not making myself understood, and I was raised to say nothing when I can't say anything respectful.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 6:58 pm
A rav told you that it's mutar to work on Shabbos? I do not believe that.

de_goldy

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:05 am
I dont either.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:16 am
BH, I'm not crazy (this time).

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 1:40 am
Quote:
A rav told you that it's mutar to work on Shabbos? I do not believe that.

Uh was that Rav Mrs so and so Twisted Evil

de_goldy

Post Wed, Dec 06 2006, 10:46 am
No, she's on maternity leave ;-)
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions