Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Never made pesach before, what do I need?
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:09 pm
we will iy"h be home for the second days this year.

can someone please give me a comprehensive list of basics that I will need, ie dishes, utensils, pots and pans, etc.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:11 pm
also what basic ingredients will I need? and when do you think I can start buying and storing?

yksraya

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:16 pm
A hotplate or range. a perculator a toaster oven or pesach oven so you can make kugel. a hand blender or food processor. potato peeler, knifes, a lemon juicer to squeeze lemons. dish cloths. pesach cookbook.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:22 pm
yksraya wrote:
A hotplate or range. a perculator a toaster oven or pesach oven so you can make kugel. a hand blender or food processor. potato peeler, knifes, a lemon juicer to squeeze lemons. dish cloths. pesach cookbook.

I know im gonna sound like a total idiot here but.....

a hot plate or a range.....thats a stove top right?
whats a perculator?
I will be kashering my oven....is it possible to kasher a toaster oven, so I can use it for milchig?
a hand blender.....is that the same as an immersion blender?
why do I need to squeeze lemons? cant I just get lemon juice?

thanks!! (sorry for being a pain)

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:49 pm
If its only for second days I wouldn't spend too much money on second sets of everything.
I would buy plastic (fancy for yom tov meals) for eating off and plastic cutlery to use.
Buy one big, one medium and one frying pan for meaty and one medium pan for milky (depending how much you will use it. If only for yom tov you wont even need milky).
If you are kashering your stove you don't need a toaster oven or anything like that.
Hot plate if you don't use a blech.
Kettle and shabbos kettle (perculator is shabbos kettle)
I also wouldn't splurge on pesach cookbooks, lemon squeezers etc because its only 2nd days and you can steal recipes from your friends or online. YOu can also use lemon juice.
A hand blender is fine for mushing up soups etc.
If you want to make cakes buy a cheap hand mixer for $10.

I can't think of anything else right now....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 10:52 pm
You can use your kashered oven, and then double wrap the stove top pieces with heavy duty silver foil and use your regular range as well. The grates are the only things on the stovetop that will not need to be double wrapped.

You most probably cannot kasher your toaster oven. Ask your Rav. If you want a Milchig one for Pesach, buy a new one for $30.

Yes, a hand immersion blender is great. How many people will you be cooking for? You may want a food processor if you're cooking for a lot. If it's just you dh and a kid or 2, a grater will do fine.

Set of pots.

Set of spatulas, ladles, etc.

Set of measuring spoons and measuring cups.

Garlic crusher if you use garlic.

Good peelers. Good knives.

Dishes, cutlery, and glasses, unless you'd like to use plastic this year (I like to do that sometimes.)

Tablecloths, dish towels, Matza holder, Afikomen bag, Seder plate, Kiddush cups. (you can find pretty and cheap lucite Seder plates, and silver disposable Kiddush cups.)

Aluminum blech to put on top of your range for Shabbos use.

Havdalla candle, Besamim.

Heavy duty foil, paper and tape for sealing things up.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 11:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can use your kashered oven, and then double wrap the stove top pieces with heavy duty silver foil and use your regular range as well. The grates are the only things on the stovetop that will not need to be double wrapped.

You most probably cannot kasher your toaster oven. Ask your Rav. If you want a Milchig one for Pesach, buy a new one for $30.

Yes, a hand immersion blender is great. How many people will you be cooking for? You may want a food processor if you're cooking for a lot. If it's just you dh and a kid or 2, a grater will do fine.

Set of pots.

Dishes, cutlery, and glasses, unless you'd like to use plastic this year (I like to do that sometimes.)

Tablecloths, dish towels, Matza holder, Afikomen bag, Seder plate, Kiddush cups. (you can find pretty and cheap lucite Seder plates, and silver disposable Kiddush cups.)

thanks so much for your detailed list! I just hav ea few questions......

1. why does any part of my stove top or oven need to be double wrapped? cant I just clean it and kasher the burners and racks?

2. why would my toaster not be kasherable- its a regular convection toaster, so its like a mini oven. if my oven can be kashered, perhaps my toaster can also?

3. why can I not continue using the havdala candle I have used until now? same for the bisamim.

these are all real questions, by the way, not me trying to be argumentative.....

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 11:13 pm
akivachaya wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Set of pots.

thanks so much for your detailed list! I just hav ea few questions......

1. why does any part of my stove top or oven need to be double wrapped? cant I just clean it and kasher the burners and racks?

2. why would my toaster not be kasherable- its a regular convection toaster, so its like a mini oven. if my oven can be kashered, perhaps my toaster can also?

3. why can I not continue using the havdala candle I have used until now? same for the bisamim.

these are all real questions, by the way, not me trying to be argumentative.....

1. I don't know if the rack on top of the range that holds the burners needs to be double wrapped, but it definately needs to be wrapped. It's not Kasherable.

2. I assume your convection oven does not have a self-clean option. If it doesn't, I don't think you can Kasher it for Pesach. It's complicated. Ask your Rav.

3. You can't use a Havdalla candle and Bisamim that has been sitting among Chometz all year round, for Pesach. There's no way to Kasher the candle and Bisamim from the Chometz it came in contact with year round.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jan 17 2012, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 11:14 pm
The year we officialy made pesach at home we went to the closeout store and got-
china
silverware
glasses
napkin holder
salt shaker
matzah holder(we don't put matzah directly on the table)

at a different store we got:
crockpot
set of fleishig pots
convection oven
fleishig burners

we already had-
tablecloth
knives for milchig and fleishig
pealer
dairy frying pan
dairy burner

before pesach lots of stores have specials on these things so you can look out then.

cmommy

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:09 am
We made Pesach for the first time last year. A friend of mine gave me a great suggestion, walk around your kitchen to see what you have and make a list based on that if you will need it for Pesach.

We didn't buy china, as it was too much of an expense for the first year. We bought nice disposable plates and used those over Y"T for the meals. We did buy one set, service for 4 of glass dishes, it came with 4 large plates, 4 salad plates and 4 bowls, and I think we paid about $20. We figured we could use them for serving later on when we do buy china.

Good knives and peelers are important. Depending on how big your family is, you may want to buy a food processor. For me it was a lifesaver making a ton of potato kugels, apple kugel etc. I looked at it as an investment for years to come.

As far as food, the main supermarket where I live starts putting out Pesach food even before Purim and they even ran a number of great sales on the stuff. Being that I was due right before Y"T, I started buying food then. I cleaned out a cabinet in my basement to store it.

One thing I do suggest if you are planning on making Pesach again in the near future, is to keep a list of what you bought, how much you used and what you put away for the next year, because you will probably not remember how much to buy the next year. I even kept a list of what food I prepared and how much of it, and wrote some notes if my family liked it.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Good Luck Very Happy

abby1776

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 12:12 am
It depends what your range top is made of - the burners them selves can be kashered but the material around them needs to be wrapped in aluminum foil.

How many people are you - is it just you and DH or do you have little kids?

neveralone

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 5:35 am
it sounds like you have a really great list to start off with. would really recomend getting a large bowl or two especially it youll be making desserts, for pesach recepies you usually need two bowls (beat whites... in one bowl, and second bowl for other part of mixture). food cotainers ( you can use disposables if you want). does that mean im late and better start getting ready for pesach (yikes, have no clue what im doing purim yet!!) or youre just an early bird?! have fun making pesach!

hoboken

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:23 am
before you run out to stock up on pesach ingredients, make a tentative menu. sure, it might be crazy to make a menu when you still have weeks and weeks to go... but otherwise you'll end up with random jars and boxes of food items you'll never use. and you can definitely simplify things, like make roasted potatoes instead of potato kugel - no food processor or grater needed, and it's healthier!

PZA

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 9:36 am
Well u must make all your lists before you leave your house otherwise you'll end up not having what u need!
You would also need a plastic pitcher to serve a bug salad bowl! All those things you can buy at a dollar store for cheap!
Just make sure to have good knife.Don't think you need set if pots first year you may make everything in disposable pans/bekelach!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 11:19 am
thanks everyone for all your help!!

no, you guys are not late- im starting early cuz im b"h pregnant and due a few weeks after pesach, so if I give myself too long to start preping, I just wont have the energy.

we will iy"h be my family, which is myself, my husband, and two kids, as well as my parents. I am hoping to not have too many guests, I just dont think I can handle it.

I dont plan on making desserts, so if my mother wants to make anything she can bring it with her Smile

I think I will just go to amazing savings and get utensils and serving things like plates and stuff, but I still want to buy a set of milchig, fleishig and parve pots and pans.

we dont have kugel every shabbos, but when we do my husband uses a hand grater, so I dont think I need a food processor.

I assume that I will make the same things I make for a regular shabbos or yom tov- chicken soup, meat, chicken, potatoes, and a side or two at night, and meat, chicken, salad and maybe a side or two for the day meals. I dont use anything chametdik in my food prep, so hopefully I will not have to spend too much on pesach ingredients.

thanks everyone for all your help!!
if you have any other useful info, im all ears!! Smile

Pinkerella

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 8:41 pm
I didn't read all the posts, but I do have to say to buy quality things. It doesn't have to be really expensive, just don't get the really cheap stuff. I found that out the hard way (especially with frying pans). I slowly built up my stuff over the years. Think about the types of food you make and what's the minimun you can get away with. I had only a frying pan for milchigs for a few years. I keep a medium sized pot for pareve so I can cook vegs and things in the same pot for both milchig and fleishig. Don't forget a can opener if you buy cans. And a REALLY good knife. I like victorinox (from the Buzz). $8, but worth EVERY penny. Hatzlacha!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 10:49 pm
http://www1.macys.com/shop/pro.....3D596

this is the pots I was planning on getting. it has a frying pan, a big pot, a smaller pot, and some utensils.

does it seem like a good buy?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 10:54 pm
also, can someone please recommend a good knife set and peeler? I love the ones I have now, but im scared if I get the same exact, they may get mixed up....

Koshermomma

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 1:40 am
Where I live they hike the prices for Pesach food. So, before Purim, I go through the Kosher section and buy whatever I need that's "Kosher for Passover and all year round". That includes spices, matzoh meal, latke mix, soups, juice, soda and a few other things. I save quite a bit buying them at their "chumetz" price, instead of their "Pesach" price.

Pinkerella

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 12:22 pm
akivachaya wrote:
also, can someone please recommend a good knife set and peeler? I love the ones I have now, but im scared if I get the same exact, they may get mixed up....

I don't see how they can get mixed up. Don't take out any Peseach things until all chometz are put away and don't take out any chometz until Pesach things are all put away.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics