Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What color floors?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 4:26 pm
We are getting new dining table and chairs, and I would like them to be a warm honey color. What color floors should we make? Do they have to match at all? Do dark floors make the room look smaller? The rest of the furniture is very light colored.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 4:41 pm
Taste is an individual thing, but most people like some contrast between the furniture and the floor.
Honey coloured table/chairs could look lovely with a dark wood floor. I don't think it will necessarily make the place look smaller, but do remember that dark floors really make the place look darker. Perhaps not the best idea unless you get abundant light, or unless you are going for a very cozy, enveloping look. Also remember that dark wood floors tend to show dust A LOT.

I would look for inspiration on the million design sites there are on the net.
You could go with a medium-wood coloured floor and use rugs and upholstery to 'break' the brown/yellow tones. Or you could go for a wood floor painted white, kind of a cottagey/beach look.
But if you love dark wood floors, go for it, they are very elegant.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 12:37 pm
we have dark wood floor and get compliments. I was originally concerned if the dust shows up but haven't noticed it. Many people here have very light color wooden floor like scandinavian/Ikea look which I felt was too boring. Our dining table is also dark like mahogany tone but sofa is light cream color.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 1:20 pm
amother wrote:
we have dark wood floor and get compliments. I was originally concerned if the dust shows up but haven't noticed it. Many people here have very light color wooden floor like scandinavian/Ikea look which I felt was too boring. Our dining table is also dark like mahogany tone but sofa is light cream color.

OP

Do you have little kids? I am afraid, if the floors are white or light colored, they are not gonna look good in a short while. I am not the type to run after my kids with a rag, so I probably need something darker?

Dark wood floors are really classy but I am worried it will clash with the stuff that I already have.

lizard8

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 1:45 pm
If you live in Israel or in a place near a desert, you will have more dust. Its hard for someone to compare for you if you don't compare locations.
I have light tiled floors and I wish they were darker. Every time a drop of water hits on the floor and someone steps on it, the whole area is black. I am in Israel so the dust level is pretty high.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 1:56 pm
lizard8 wrote:
If you live in Israel or in a place near a desert, you will have more dust. Its hard for someone to compare for you if you don't compare locations.
I have light tiled floors and I wish they were darker. Every time a drop of water hits on the floor and someone steps on it, the whole area is black. I am in Israel so the dust level is pretty high.

OP here

No I don't. But it is definitely a factor to consider.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics