Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vaccine adverse effect on child.
1  2  Next

mammala120

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 9:20 am
has anyone experienced such or know someone who had adverse allergic reacrtion to vaccine and came out of it Unharmed......back to normal.?

do I have to see homeopath to fix what vaccine did????

plese help me.

ohmygosh

Post Tue, Jan 31 2012, 10:53 am
What do you mean by an adverse reaction? You are not giving much info here..

mammala120

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:04 pm
adverse reaction is when there was harmful side effect done due to administration of med/vaccine.

such as swelling hives dizziness lethargy loss of body function (ch''sh) so on.

ElTam

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:09 pm
Kids typically have some pain at the injection site, fever, and lethargy. Rest and TLC is the only treatment we've ever neeeded.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:13 pm
Of course they go back to normal. One of my kids had a swelling or hive next to the site of vaccine. It lasted a few days and then totally went away. One got a fever and stopped eating for a while and almost lost weight - that was scary ... But I figured it's still not as scary as having whooping cough which can also cause weight loss from not eating! Of course that kid got better and is back to normal!

Just like a non-life-threatening reaction to anything.
Maybe I dont understand your question
Or maybe you've just read too many threads and are having nightmares about vaccines :/

bradybunch

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:18 pm
My oldest DS had a high fever for a few days after his Prevnar, but he was fine after that.

The steroids cleared up the hives/swelling with your DS, right? It might have been an allergic reaction either to the vaccine or to something related (could be anything from swabs they used beforehand, to gloves the doctor or nurse wore; it also might not actually have been allergic, per se), so it would be prudent to discuss your strategy for further vaccination with a pediatrician you trust (so not the one who gave the vaccine, who you obviously don't like, but ideally the one you used to go to).

Is he feeling better now?

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:30 pm
DD had a anaphylaxis reaction that sent us to the hospital for an overnight stay. She spent a week on steroids, she needed nebulizer treatments and benedryl around the clock.

She was just FINE two weeks later. B"H, K"H she's currently jumping on the stairs and telling her father that she wants cookies for dinner.

Feel free to PM

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 7:35 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
DD had a anaphylaxis reaction that sent us to the hospital for an overnight stay. She spent a week on steroids, she needed nebulizer treatments and benedryl around the clock.

She was just FINE two weeks later. B"H, K"H she's currently jumping on the stairs and telling her father that she wants cookies for dinner.

Feel free to PM

And did you continue her vaccine schedule after such an incident?

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
cbsmommy wrote:

Feel free to PM

Yes and no.

We sat down with the pediatrician, allergist, and immunologist and had a powwow about what we were going to do. The allergist ran a number of tests to try and determine if there was something like an underlying pork/latex allergy. Nothing came back conclusive.

I work in a hospital. I strongly believe that certain shots are vital in protecting my children's welfare. At the same token, I feel that an allergic reaction is not something to be played with.

So...

We threw the 'advised' schedule out the window and decided which shots we felt were imperative (I am strongly pro the DTaP) and which we felt were not as 'required' (ex: Hep B) and which shots were on the NEVER AGAIN list (ex: prevnar and flu shot)

We only give one shot at a time.

We give those shots in an allergist office.

K"H we have NOT had any other vaccine reactions.

Subsequent children receive ONE shot at a time (with a few weeks interval between shots) in the pediatrician's office. Certain vaccines are omitted/given later (much more important that my infant receive the DTaP and Hib than that my infant receive a vaccine for Hep B)

We have NOT had a problem obtaining a waiver. My pediatrician happily wrote letters to daycamps, preschools, etc explaining that DD has an alternative vaccine schedule due to allergic reactions.

When DD had her reaction, we reported it to VAERS and we had paperwork from the hospital showing that DD was legitimately ill.

The only long term effect is that DD now carries an epi-pen with her EVERYWHERE. According to our allergist, if a child shows the capability for having a severe allergic reaction to one thing, the child could develop a sudden allergy to something else and it is better to be safe than sorry.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:01 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
amother wrote:
cbsmommy wrote:

Feel free to PM

Yes and no.

We sat down with the pediatrician, allergist, and immunologist and had a powwow about what we were going to do. The allergist ran a number of tests to try and determine if there was something like an underlying pork/latex allergy. Nothing came back conclusive.

I work in a hospital. I strongly believe that certain shots are vital in protecting my children's welfare. At the same token, I feel that an allergic reaction is not something to be played with.

So...

We threw the 'advised' schedule out the window and decided which shots we felt were imperative (I am strongly pro the DTaP) and which we felt were not as 'required' (ex: Hep B) and which shots were on the NEVER AGAIN list (ex: prevnar and flu shot)

We only give one shot at a time.

We give those shots in an allergist office.

K"H we have NOT had any other vaccine reactions.

Subsequent children receive ONE shot at a time (with a few weeks interval between shots) in the pediatrician's office. Certain vaccines are omitted/given later (much more important that my infant receive the DTaP and Hib than that my infant receive a vaccine for Hep B)

We have NOT had a problem obtaining a waiver. My pediatrician happily wrote letters to daycamps, preschools, etc explaining that DD has an alternative vaccine schedule due to allergic reactions.

When DD had her reaction, we reported it to VAERS and we had paperwork from the hospital showing that DD was legitimately ill.

The only long term effect is that DD now carries an epi-pen with her EVERYWHERE. According to our allergist, if a child shows the capability for having a severe allergic reaction to one thing, the child could develop a sudden allergy to something else and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for sharing. I'm the Amother who asked.

You vaccinate a lot like we do. We have basically whittled the list down to what we find most important and skip those that are simply not important enough to face the risks. We do one at a time and we start our kids late.

It's interesting that your daughter has the epi pen now. A friend of mine has a daughter who had the same reaction minutes after a vaccine (and she had 2 standard plus flu all at once so no clue which caused it) and she was in the hospital with seizures for a couple weeks after that. But nobody recommended an epi pen for her dd. Hmmm.... I wonder if I should mention this to her or if it's overstepping my bounds.

granolamom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:34 pm
my ds had a reaction to his first DTaP. he screamed non stop for three days. didnt nurse. didnt sleep. did. not. stop. screaming.
BH after the third day he slept like a log for 12 hrs straight (not typical of him), woke, nursed, slept another 12 hrs and BH was back to normal after that.
I did not give him any more DTaP shots after that, even my pro-vax dr agreed with me on that one. he's older now, we're thinking of giving him a separate tetanus vax at some point, likely that it was the P part of it that he reacted to.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:39 pm
Amother -
My daughter did NOT have a seizure. She had severe facial swelling (think Angelina Jolie lips times 1,000 and her eyes swelled shut) her ears were bright red, her skin was covered in patchy hives, she was vomiting, her blood pressure was all over the place and she had trouble breathing.

Classic anaphylaxis allergic reaction.

As soon as we got to the ER, they gave her epinephrine. The epinephrine started reducing the swelling/symptoms immediately.

Seizures would require anticonvulsants like dilantin, keppra, tegretol, lamictal, etc. Epinephrine is not the drug of choice for seizures.

And I do NOT wait to begin vaccines. I work in an environment where I could possibly inadvertently bring home pertusis.

NaturalMom

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 9:41 pm
I find it interesting that those with children that had adverse reactions are so quick to say that there children are back to "normal." How do you know, really? My DS had meningitis as a baby and was deemed "normal" by the doctors. B"H, he is "normal." But, sometimes, I wonder what sort of damage was done that I simply don't know about, and never will know. He has low muscle tone and is getting PT - is that from the meningitis? He has some minor sensory issues - is that as a result of the meningitis? DH and I joke (B"H, we are able to joke about it now) that the first "B" DS brings home from school, we are blaming on the meningitis. My point is, you don't actually know if the adverse reaction had some sort of lasting effect on the child, as you are not G-d.

So, OP, as to your original question. If you generally are open to homeopathic medicine and can get a good referral, then go. I am sure your son will be perfectly fine after all this is over. But why not make sure you get all the toxins out of his body, just in case?

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:00 pm
NaturalMom wrote:
I find it interesting that those with children that had adverse reactions are so quick to say that there children are back to "normal." How do you know, really? My DS had meningitis as a baby and was deemed "normal" by the doctors. B"H, he is "normal." But, sometimes, I wonder what sort of damage was done that I simply don't know about, and never will know. He has low muscle tone and is getting PT - is that from the meningitis? He has some minor sensory issues - is that as a result of the meningitis? DH and I joke (B"H, we are able to joke about it now) that the first "B" DS brings home from school, we are blaming on the meningitis. My point is, you don't actually know if the adverse reaction had some sort of lasting effect on the child, as you are not G-d.

So, OP, as to your original question. If you generally are open to homeopathic medicine and can get a good referral, then go. I am sure your son will be perfectly fine after all this is over. But why not make sure you get all the toxins out of his body, just in case?

Technically you are right; my crystal ball is broken and I cannot guarantee that my child is 'normal'. But then again, what child is 'normal' and has no issues? I think that my daughter is B"H, K"H a precocious, social, smart child who has boundless energy and loves to read books and play with her toys. She does not need PT or OT, but she has asthma and serious allergies (dogs, cats, grass, mold, weeds, dust mites, leaves, pollen, it's a lengthy list.) Was the asthma CAUSED by the vaccine? Considering that before she had the vaccine we were giving her nebulizer treatments every winter, I'm going to say NOPE. Was it exacerbated by the vaccine? Maybe temporarily. However her asthma has been under very good control and she can play, jump, run, etc without wheezing, so two years later, I'm not so quick to say that we've had long term repercussions.

This being said, she b"H did NOT suffer from meningitis. She had an anaphylaxis reaction.

MANY MANY MANY parents on imamother discuss watching a child experience an anaphylaxis reaction; it's scary and you want to do EVERYTHING you can to prevent another reaction, but at the same time, you live your life, make certain adjustments and move on. I don't open all conversations with "Hi, my name is cbsmommy and my daughter has severe allergic reactions" but I do make sure to tell her teachers, any/all babysitters, and if she has a playdate, before I leave I make sure that the other mother knows where the benedryl/epi is and how to administer it.

shlomitsmum

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 10:30 pm
granolamom wrote:
my ds had a reaction to his first DTaP. he screamed non stop for three days. didnt nurse. didnt sleep. did. not. stop. screaming.
BH after the third day he slept like a log for 12 hrs straight (not typical of him), woke, nursed, slept another 12 hrs and BH was back to normal after that.
I did not give him any more DTaP shots after that, even my pro-vax dr agreed with me on that one. he's older now, we're thinking of giving him a separate tetanus vax at some point, likely that it was the P part of it that he reacted to.

DD had the almost the same except that both legs swelled up like red hard eggs at the site and her leg muscles were vey stiff (could'nt bend),a few roseola like patches on her back . high fever

same on the 72 hours of he...ll and the crazy screaming followed by the sleep wipeout. yup same , same stuff. after the wipeout she was back to normal....B'H

I have not gone back.
I just can't Sad her wails were like a cattle prong on my brain ....I thought I would loose it from the fear/stress.

bradybunch

Post Wed, Feb 01 2012, 11:18 pm
NaturalMom wrote:

I'm actually surprised that you were told without reservation that there would be no damage from having meningitis as a baby. There are often subtle things, like learning disorders that pop up later, which statistically have been correlated to having meningitis young. B"H your DS recovered fully, that must have been terrifying for you.

As far as my son, he only had a high fever for a few days, which he's also had from viral illnesses (not to mention the 106 when he had pneumonia!). So I think I can be pretty sure that he wasn't adversely affected. He's incredibly smart, but has always been a very difficult child to deal with. Just his personality Smile

granolamom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 5:29 pm
NaturalMom wrote:

good point.
when I say 'back to normal' I meant there was no discernible difference in his behavior from before he got the vax. I prefer not to thing about what it could have done to him without my realization. too scary. he is who is his and has whatever challenges he has but is not anything other than a 'typically developing child' (he's 4 now).
in the meantime, I blame everything from ear infections to eczema to yes, a poor test grade, on 'the dairy'. its a running joke here because I truly used to blame all my oldests' issues on her diet.
you're right, we're not G-d, so who knows what caused what. and what was meant to be regardless.

but here's a question for you........ can homeopathics *really* remove toxins from a vaccine given years ago?

mammala120

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
Of course they go back to normal. One of my kids had a swelling or hive next to the site of vaccine. It lasted a few days and then totally went away. One got a fever and stopped eating for a while and almost lost weight - that was scary ... But I figured it's still not as scary as having whooping cough which can also cause weight loss from not eating! Of course that kid got better and is back to normal!

Just like a non-life-threatening reaction to anything.
Maybe I dont understand your question
Or maybe you've just read too many threads and are having nightmares about vaccines :/

no you don't understand my question, you need to read what I wrote after.
adverse effect is side effect with harmful influence or almost causing harm. it can be life threatening if not taken care of. and no I did not have nightmares from reading stories about vaccines, I unfortunately lived through it this past week. you can read it in my other post under DR SADAKA.

mammala120

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:04 pm
e_plus3 wrote:
My oldest DS had a high fever for a few days after his Prevnar, but he was fine after that.

The steroids cleared up the hives/swelling with your DS, right? It might have been an allergic reaction either to the vaccine or to something related (could be anything from swabs they used beforehand, to gloves the doctor or nurse wore; it also might not actually have been allergic, per se), so it would be prudent to discuss your strategy for further vaccination with a pediatrician you trust (so not the one who gave the vaccine, who you obviously don't like, but ideally the one you used to go to).

Is he feeling better now?

I understand what you are saying but here was doctor malparactice big time. she did not use any gloves or swabs. she never examined my kids before administaring drugs. she never even asked their history of anything. she just got her needs and poked. I blame myself for not catching her unprofessionalism and lack of patient responsibility.

mammala120

Post Thu, Feb 02 2012, 8:16 pm
this is OP

thankyou all for your replies and I am sorry for those mothers who whent through vaccine adverse effects. I know exactly what you feel. I cryed my eyes out for days due to this.

homeopathy is good, but how good is it and to what extend. not everyones body reacts same to certain influences. I have personal experience in using homeopathy. I have gallstones and used homeopathy for one year under qualified doctor from canada. I thought I was getting better, I used to get sonograms every 3-4 months. so I have 4 reports. first shows normal spleen and stones in gallbladder. second one showed slight increase in spleen size, still stone in gallbladder, third one showed spleenomegaly (enlargement of spleen) and still stones present. I quite. I stopped homeopathy and when I went back to check few months later my spleen was back to normal. so I am a little scared about homeopathy. I do use certain homeopathic remedies for emotional levels like stress and pain. not to cure something.

the best cures I realized is proper food, certain supplement at low doses and most importantly tefillos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics