Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
TOTALLY DESPERATE! Need Purim Themed Shalach Manos Ideas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

ShmeinaK

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 10:52 am
I'm old and boring and looking for an idea that will be low cost.
Three years ago I did home made pita chips, carrots and celery, and two home made dips.
Two years ago I did choc covered pretzels and choc covered chips.
Last year I found very cheap mugs that had a box for candies and a tin for cookies (30 cents each), so I threw out the treifus that came packaged in the tine and box, and made hamentash candy cookies (outline triangle in dough, crush some candy in the center, bake) and put in kosher candies.

Both years I used some baskets that I had found very cheap.
This year..... ????

marina

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 11:21 am
ShmeinaK wrote:
Three years ago I did home made pita chips, carrots and celery, and two home made dips.
Last year I found very cheap mugs that had a box for candies and a tin for cookies (30 cents each), so I threw out the treifus that came packaged in the tine and box, and made hamentash candy cookies (outline triangle in dough, crush some candy in the center, bake) and put in kosher candies.

This year..... ????

it sounds to me like you're looking for heterim. In yiddishkeit, we do not take the easy way out. I also felt this way in the beginning of this thread, but my mashpia and I re-evaluated my priorities and I realized I was not being a good role model for my children, who will grow up to be confused and off the derech if I constantly look for low cost and simple ideas for shalach manos.

You need to speak to a rav about this. In the mean time, may I recommend either the Shabbos Leftovers theme or the What the Cat Dragged In ensemble. Good luck and don't let the yetzer hora win!

middy

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 11:25 am
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

it sounds to me like you're looking for heterim. In yiddishkeit, we do not take the easy way out. I also felt this way in the beginning of this thread, but my mashpia and I re-evaluated my priorities and I realized I was not being a good role model for my children, who will grow up to be confused and off the derech if I constantly look for low cost and simple ideas for shalach manos.

You need to speak to a rav about this. In the mean time, may I recommend either the Shabbos Leftovers theme or the What the Cat Dragged In ensemble. Good luck and don't let the yetzer hora win!

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

neveralone

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 11:56 am
one year we did soup, rolls and a salt and peper shaker. everyone loved getting real food, many even said they ate it for lunch!!

ShmeinaK

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 1:53 pm
middy wrote:
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Actually, I feel quite the opposite of you.
The amount of waste and shtussim that goes into shalach monos is ridiculous. All three years I've mentioned involved a lot of work from me, and beautifully arranged baskets.
What you said makes me think of all the $70,000 weddings that go on these days.
Both for purim, and for weddings etc. the same thing applies. People go out and spend what they don't have to keep up with the rest.
I think the BEST chinuch for my child is for him to see my dedication to torah and mitzvos (including purim and mishloach monos) and see that it does not have to come with a lot of ba'al tashchis.
There are frum people these days that simply do not have the money to put on their table. Instead of throwing $50- into each basket, better make a basket that costs $1- and give the other $49- to tomchei shabbos or another such organization!!!

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 2:38 pm
ShmeinaK wrote:

The amount of waste and shtussim that goes into shalach monos is ridiculous. All three years I've mentioned involved a lot of work from me, and beautifully arranged baskets.
Both for purim, and for weddings etc. the same thing applies. People go out and spend what they don't have to keep up with the rest.
I think the BEST chinuch for my child is for him to see my dedication to torah and mitzvos (including purim and mishloach monos) and see that it does not have to come with a lot of ba'al tashchis.
There are frum people these days that simply do not have the money to put on their table. Instead of throwing $50- into each basket, better make a basket that costs $1- and give the other $49- to tomchei shabbos or another such organization!!!

If you look more carefully at this thread, you will see that it is all a joke. And, might I add, a good one that has been adding many a smile to my days this week.

ShmeinaK

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 3:06 pm
imasinger wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

If you look more carefully at this thread, you will see that it is all a joke. And, might I add, a good one that has been adding many a smile to my days this week.

Thank you for clarifying that. I saw that there were many jokes on it -- didn't read the entire thing -- but I reread this answer so many times and couldn't figure out if it was a joke or not, it just sounded too serious.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 3:17 pm
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

Well, of course. (Can't believe I'm agreeing with a Chabad mashpia.) Looking for low cost shalach manos is zilzul in mitzvos.

Didn't you learn anything in sem? Here is the formula for cost of each SM:

Cost of most mehudar etrog you can find + price of 3 bottles of shemen zayit zach + price of 10kg of hand baked shmura matzos + all the tzedaka money you give in a year = what you should spend on each of the 10 most expensive SMs you send. In fact you could send a mehudar etrog and 10kg of hand baked shmura matza as your SM.

The next 150 should cost what you spend on food the entire week of Pesach.

The rest you can be meikil.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 3:22 pm
hadasa wrote:
Lol at flat soda!!

What's the joke?
(My new goal in this thread, besides being a bridge is to leave everyone wondering, am I messing with some heads, or am I not messing with some heads?)

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 3:29 pm
MSM=mehudar shalach manos.

MSMSM= mehudar shmura matza shalach manos.

For those who have issues about this, you have to do a

MSMSMS - mehudar shmura matza shalach manos shaila.

Do I have it right yet?

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Feb 12 2012, 6:26 pm
shalhevet wrote:
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

Well, of course. (Can't believe I'm agreeing with a Chabad mashpia.) Looking for low cost shalach manos is zilzul in mitzvos.

Cost of most mehudar etrog you can find + price of 3 bottles of shemen zayit zach + price of 10kg of hand baked shmura matzos + all the tzedaka money you give in a year = what you should spend on each of the 10 most expensive SMs you send. In fact you could send a mehudar etrog and 10kg of hand baked shmura matza as your SM.

wow shalhevet, I didnt know this. its good that you are not on my list of mm this year. you are not my sil, coworker, dh's boss, or my landlord. arent I lucky?

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 4:05 am
Delete

Last edited by hadasa on Mon, Feb 13 2012, 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

hadasa

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 4:08 am
imasinger wrote:
MSM=mehudar shalach manos.

MSMSM= mehudar shmura matza shalach manos.

For those who have issues about this, you have to do a

MSMSMS - mehudar shmura matza shalach manos shaila.

Do I have it right yet?
Do you ask your Shailos through SMS? Do you accept your Rav's answer as MS le'amiso?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 8:28 am
tsiggelle wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

wow shalhevet, I didnt know this. its good that you are not on my list of mm this year. you are not my sil, coworker, dh's boss, or my landlord. arent I lucky?

How do you know? Twisted Evil

cmg770

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 12:02 pm
Hey all, so I am newly married and have written a list of themes.
1, china town - as we live in Israel I thought I could include a fan, some hamentaschen that are closed so a little like fortune cookies.

2. Italiano - a mask, a container of pasta salad/ bag of salad and wine. depending on budget - a bowl and servers.

3. smiley face - all fun, bright colourful items, smiley face biscuits etc,

4. Pampering purim - candles, chocolates, hot chocolate, biscuits/hamentaschen.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 12:34 pm
ShmeinaK wrote:
imasinger wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

Thank you for clarifying that. I saw that there were many jokes on it -- didn't read the entire thing -- but I reread this answer so many times and couldn't figure out if it was a joke or not, it just sounded too serious.

Poe's Law, dear: This axiom states that it's impossible (or at least, very difficult) to distinguish between parodies of religious fundamentalism and its genuine proponents, since they both seem equally insane.

In other words, any significantly advanced troll (or parodist) is indistinguishable from a real fundamentalist.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 12:43 pm
shalhevet wrote:
tsiggelle wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
marina wrote:
ShmeinaK wrote:

This year..... ????

How do you know? Twisted Evil

I'm almost positive that she's your SIL's coworker's DH's boss' landlord.

And FTR, I found last year's shaloch manot of black truffles and fillet mignon (and yes, to you disbelievers, you CAN get kosher filet mignon) to be decidedly low-rent. I anticipate your doing better this year.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 7:12 pm
[quote="Barbara"

And FTR, I found last year's shaloch manot of black truffles and fillet mignon (and yes, to you disbelievers, you CAN get kosher filet mignon) to be decidedly low-rent. I anticipate your doing better this year.[/quote]

How about that pork-tasting foie gras?

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 13 2012, 11:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
[quote="Barbara"

And FTR, I found last year's shaloch manot of black truffles and fillet mignon (and yes, to you disbelievers, you CAN get kosher filet mignon) to be decidedly low-rent. I anticipate your doing better this year.

How about that pork-tasting foie gras?[/quote]

And how would you know if it really TASTED like pork?

marina

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 12:45 am
BTW I love Poe's law. Love, love.

I'm thinking of doing a theme based on it.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics