Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bed size - 54" or 48"
1  2  Next

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:05 pm
I need help making a decision ladies,

OK, I need to decide on what size beds to get - if I get 48" I need to get it from a Jewish store which is a lot more expensive than the non-jewish ones, but a whole bedroom set can fit into my bedroom nicely.
If I get 54 (full) I can go to a non-jewish store, which is furniture I like a lot more and it's cheaper, but only two beds and a night table in between can fit. Now for this apartment I have a big closet so I don't really need the rest of the bedroom set, but if I don't buy a full set who says they will have it available in my next apartment... also, isn't full a lot more comfy and when the kids come along will I be grateful that my bed is big enough?

I don't know what to do - any advice?

Last edited by wereafamily on Mon, May 21 2012, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:08 pm
Also, just thinking, 54" the mattress are probably a lot more expensive - but is it still cheaper then shopping in the Jewish stores.

I know I can do the option of 48" mattress with a full size headboard but I don't like that look...plus I love beds that don't just have a headboard, they have furniture all around the bed...whatever that's called.

Last edited by wereafamily on Mon, May 21 2012, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:14 pm
The jewish size is 48". Is that what you meant? 39" is standard twin, you can get that in any store.

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:20 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
The jewish size is 48". Is that what you meant? 39" is standard twin, you can get that in any store.

Yes, oops! 48"

but come to think of it, I never thought of twin size - is that too small...?

peppermint

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:32 pm
What about getting 2 different sizes? one 39" and one 54"?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:34 pm
48 is only going to add 12" of extra space to your bedroom. Is that enough to make a real difference? What can you put in with an additional 12"? I have full size beds and I'm happy I do- I can get mattresses, bedframes and linens anywhere. 39" is way too small, unless you have no choice. It's really not comfortable to share with anyone, child or adult. I coslept with my baby in a 39" bed on pesach and I woke up v stiff every morning.

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:44 pm
peppermint wrote:

An idea, but wouldn't it look funny... and then its who gets the bigger one Wink

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:48 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
48 is only going to add 12" of extra space to your bedroom. Is that enough to make a real difference? What can you put in with an additional 12"? I have full size beds and I'm happy I do- I can get mattresses, bedframes and linens anywhere. 39" is way too small, unless you have no choice. It's really not comfortable to share with anyone, child or adult. I coslept with my baby in a 39" bed on pesach and I woke up v stiff every morning.

It's strange, but the way they built this room it makes a big difference. There is a closet that takes over a full wall and if I want access I need to put the 54" in a different direction and then there is no place for the rest of the furniture...I guess the question is if the rest of the furniture is really that necessary?

Why did you choose 54" over 48"

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 5:51 pm
I didn't have a choice- 48 is not sold where I live Smile but anyway, I have the room for 54 so I would not limit myself for no reason. Like I said, you have many more choices in terms of price and style if you go with a standard size.

lamplighter

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:10 pm
I say 54" it's smarter in the long run. I'm not huge and sometimes I feel like it's too small to share Smile I like my sppaaaaaaaaace!

peppermint

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:17 pm
wereafamily wrote:
peppermint wrote:

An idea, but wouldn't it look funny... and then its who gets the bigger one Wink
My friend has this. Dh has little bed, she has big bed. They tell kids "mommy has a bigger bed so she can share with the baby"

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 6:30 pm
My friend has this as well. I really don't like the look....it makes the room look really uneven....

wereafamily

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:32 pm
peppermint wrote:
wereafamily wrote:
peppermint wrote:

My friend has this. Dh has little bed, she has big bed. They tell kids "mommy has a bigger bed so she can share with the baby"

and for onlookers you wink, nah, wouldn't do that...

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:36 pm
You may have trouble finding linens for 48" beds outside of the NY area.

allergypro

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:44 pm
We have one 44" and one 54". The reason we did this was because our original set was 44" and one bed broke. We decided to get a bigger bed because 44" was too small when sharing with a baby (or with a husband Wink ). I sleep on the bigger bed, and dh sleeps on the smaller one.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:01 pm
54". Way more practical. Not only are the beds more expensive, but the linens are more expensive and harder to find for 48". I have a very small bedroom, and I wouldn't give up my 54" for anything.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:02 pm
we have different size beds: one 54" and one twin. We definetly don't have room for two 54" beds. One 54 and one 48" inch beds would have been pretty cramped when trying to put stuff away, clean, etc... I don't remember why we didn't do 2 48" beds....

Regarding the room looking uneven, I am really not in the room that much. I have nice linens, window treatments, etc....don't even notice.

keep in mind that since this is not your last apartment, you don't want to be stuck with something that doesn't fit later on.

monkey

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:13 pm
If you have room for the 54 inch then def go for it...we got that and I think its def smarter in the long run and for now!!!!

granolamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:40 pm
in my experience you have fewer options with the 48 beds, fewer companies make them and the ones we found were not great quality. we ended up getting rid of them and replacing with 54, which btw, are also longer, an added bonus for my very tall dh. its a bit crowded in the room now but oh, the beds are heavenly.
54's make it easier to shop for linens too, you arent tied to the frum stores.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:58 pm
54 inches. What furniture would you be able to fit (besides for another night table) if you would go with 48"? That extra foot doesn't really give you enough room for anything substantial.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics