Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Instructions on how to make stir-fry?

hadasa

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 5:28 am
I have the following ingredients : turkey breast, onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini. I also have soy sauce, ketchup, mustard, honey. I've never made a stir-fry, and I need instructions on how to make it so all the ingredients are cooked just right? Tia!

Raisin

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 7:02 am
First cook the vegetables - onions first, then add carrots, then zucchinni. I would cook the potatos seperately, (maybe roast them) they don't really go in stir fry. Then take out veggies and cook turkey. when it is cooked make a sauce with soy sauce, sugar, water and corn starch. push chicken to one side and pour into wok and stir around till thickened. add veggies back in and stir till hot.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 7:19 am
Raisin wrote:
First cook the vegetables - onions first, then add carrots, then zucchinni. I would cook the potatos seperately, (maybe roast them) they don't really go in stir fry. Then take out veggies and cook turkey. when it is cooked make a sauce with soy sauce, sugar, water and corn starch. push chicken to one side and pour into wok and stir around till thickened. add veggies back in and stir till hot.

Actually, your order of doing things is kind of backwards.

Your first cook the turkey (cube it into bite-sized pieces) with a bit of soy sauce and garlic. Once it's completely cooked, remove from the pan, leaving the juices, and then start stir-frying your veggies from hardest (carrots) to softest (onions). I would cook the potatoes separately as you recommended.

Remove the veggies and make your sauce - soy sauce, garlic, ginger (if you like it), black pepper and a bit or corn starch to thicken it. As it begins to boil, add the veggies and turkey back in and coat with the sauce. Serve with rice.

The basic premise of stir-frying is cooking fast and getting everything just about the same texture. So if you cook the onions first, they'll be a soggy mess by the time you add the carrots.

hadasa

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:07 am
Thank you, both, although you got me a bit confused with your very conflicting posts, LOL!! Very Happy But I got the general idea. Despite your sage advice, I did put in potatoes for an "Eastern Europe meets China" version. If they come out mushy I'll take the blame. So far it's looking good.

elaela

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:10 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Actually, your order of doing things is kind of backwards.

Your first cook the turkey (cube it into bite-sized pieces) with a bit of soy sauce and garlic. Once it's completely cooked, remove from the pan, leaving the juices, and then start stir-frying your veggies from hardest (carrots) to softest (onions). I would cook the potatoes separately as you recommended.

Remove the veggies and make your sauce - soy sauce, garlic, ginger (if you like it), black pepper and a bit or corn starch to thicken it. As it begins to boil, add the veggies and turkey back in and coat with the sauce. Serve with rice.

The basic premise of stir-frying is cooking fast and getting everything just about the same texture. So if you cook the onions first, they'll be a soggy mess by the time you add the carrots.

thats how id do it, too. start with the meat, remove, fry veggis starting witht he hardest one, make sauce, mix everything together, enjoy Smile

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:21 am
hadasa wrote:
Thank you, both, although you got me a bit confused with your very conflicting posts, LOL!! Very Happy But I got the general idea. Despite your sage advice, I did put in potatoes for an "Eastern Europe meets China" version. If they come out mushy I'll take the blame. So far it's looking good.

It's not that it will come out mushy, but undercooked Smile

DrMom

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:35 am
Add some fresh grated ginger.

Leave out the ketchup!

Raisin

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:48 am
normally I would cook all the veggies together, but carrots cook more slowly. You would just get very crunchy carrots.

I don't think it make s a difference which gets cooked first, the meat or the vegetables.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 10:50 am
If you cook the meat first, the veggies cook in the meat-flavored liquid. Adds a lot of flavor.

hadasa

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:28 am
Done. The sweet potatoes disintegrated, the white ones are just right, maybe a tad undercooked. It's delicious IMO. I hope the family I'm sending it to will like it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey