Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dish draining closet in America
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 9:45 pm
I've seen dish draining closets in Israel - cabinets that have dish racks for shelves. Are they available in America?

(amother because I'm asking all around for it IRL too)

yksraya

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 9:48 pm
maybe patent one yourself. many things are different in isreal.

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 9:59 pm
Yup - certain cabinet manufactorers have it as an option. I looked at tons of catalogs when we were redoing our kitchen (a lot of catalogs can be gotten from the kitchen departments of Lowe's and Home Depot. We ended up going with Holiday cabinets and I remember it being an option: http://www.holidaykitchens.com/

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 10:16 pm
Tova wrote:
Yup - certain cabinet manufactorers have it as an option. I looked at tons of catalogs when we were redoing our kitchen (a lot of catalogs can be gotten from the kitchen departments of Lowe's and Home Depot. We ended up going with Holiday cabinets and I remember it being an option: http://www.holidaykitchens.com/

First I'm hearing that it is even available. My husband, being Israeli, can't get over how backward the US is. LOL

There's a contraption of sorts that they are currently selling in Ikea. It isn't the same as a built in piece, but I think it's next best.

Tova

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 10:33 pm
Yeah, I even saw it in some of the model kitchens that they display in Lowe's/Home Depot. To be honest, it does not exactly look like what you see in Israel but it's the same idea - a built-in overhead rack so dishes can drain into the sink. I did not choose that option in my kitchen :-)

amother

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 10:43 pm
OP here - Tova - thanks for the info!

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 4:55 am
my mother has one from ikea.

myself

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 7:09 am
My friend has the real thing - - they brought it over from Israel!
Is that an option for you?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:34 am
Raisin wrote:
my mother has one from ikea.

The plus side of the one from Ikea is that it is removable and can be stored away when not in use.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:43 am
myself wrote:
My friend has the real thing - - they brought it over from Israel!
Is that an option for you?

How does it work when installed in an American kitchen?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:44 am
OP here. I wouldn't bring it over from Israel. Does anyone have a link to a picture online to the one from Ikea?

Liba

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:48 am
Why not bring it over from Israel? All you would need are the shelves and a regular cabinet the right width without a bottom and holes in the side to install them into.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:53 am
This is one of the options. There's another option which I can't seem to find on their site. The other is more of a 'basket'.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 8:54 am
Here's more.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:39 am
Liba wrote:
Why not bring it over from Israel? All you would need are the shelves and a regular cabinet the right width without a bottom and holes in the side to install them into.

OP here. I guess because I don't know how to bring them over Smile Could I just order them and have them shipped? Where would I order from? And how expensive would that be?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:42 am
I'm not aware of any dish drainer cabinets being made in the USA or for the American market. Ikea comes closest. The American ones I've seen are meant for displaying dishes, not draining them. They simply are not made to hold wet dripping dishes on a daily basis.

You might be able to increase the durability of an American display rack with several coats of poly-acrylic sealer.
Or...
I think you could rig up a standard cabinet with a flat dish drainer and some creative cabinet alterations.

I'm thinking of making myself one out of polywood, which is a strong plastic that comes in lumber sizes. But I haven't looked into where to purchase small quantities of polywood in specialty sizes.

Importing one from Israel sounds like an intriguing idea.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 9:53 am
My 2 kids in EY have them, and I find them to be very impractical. First of all, they waste a lot of cabinet space. Then, you have to reach up to put the wet stuff in them and the water drips down your arms. And unless you're tall, anything beyond the bottom rack is a tough reach.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 11:25 am
OP here. I would be putting in a milchig sink and very small milchig counter. If I keep my dishrack on the counter, I won't have any usable counterspace left (and the way I operate, I have a dishrack on the counter all the time). The cabinet space over the sink would be extra, because I don't need more than the cabinet space over the small counter for my milchig dishes. I'm also tall, so that is not an issue. I think it would be a good idea for me, the only impractical aspect that would apply to me is the drip.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 11:29 am
Whats wrong with drying your dishes and then putting them away? I mean how much more time does it realy take?

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 23 2012, 11:31 am
my mothers is a proper cabinet with slots in the bottom. She just uses it to store her milchig plates and bowls so its not a waste of space.

(she has a dishwasher for meat)

I'll see if I can find it on the ikea site.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics