Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Is the name Aliza used in yeshivish or only more modern?
Previous  1  2

Shuly

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 5:01 pm
Aliza is one of those names that started out, as one imamother coined it, "Teanecky," but is now also used in the yeshivish American world - although it is definitely considered more unique. I don't know any Alizas in the Israeli Chareidi world though.

mommish613, It's interesting to hear that the Kanievskys have an Aliza! What are their other children's names?

mommish613

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 5:34 pm
Im sorry I erred, just looked in the book, it was the rebbetzin's sister who was "Shoshana Aliza" a'h and they called her "Aliza"- she wasnt the daughter of Rav Chaim Kanievsky, rather the daughter of Rav Elyashiv. Also quite remarkable...

THe Elyashuv Children were/are:
Sarah
Deena a'h
Leah a'h
Shoshana Aliza a'h
Gittel
and Rivka a'h

The Kanievsky Children are:

Chana
Leah
Avraham Yeshaya
Rus (Rutie)
Shlomo
Bracha
Deena
Yitzchak Shaul

amother

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 6:35 pm
My daughter's second name is Aliza. She is called by both names.

I know a Sara Ilana from a fairly yeshivish family.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 7:16 pm
I know many Alizas from "yeshivesh" homes.

Merrymom

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 9:37 pm
Does it matter really? The only question is if the name itself carries some kedushah. This is probably why in chasidish and yeshivish circles the names are so boring, they're used again and again, and again (not that I dislike those names, I just think it's nice to have more of a variety). Say Moishe or Leah, or say Shloimy or Raizy and fifty people turn around.

Last edited by Merrymom on Sun, Jun 10 2012, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lady A

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 9:43 pm
Most of the Aliza's I know are frum fairly shtark/yeshivish homes. I also know a few BT's who were given the name Aleeza as their Hebrew name. When they grew up and became frum, they became super-frum and are currently very much right of center.
I don't know any 'modern' Alizas.

milchigs

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:01 am
Interestingly, most of the Aliza's I could think of right now are frum, yeshivish girls or women from frum, yeshivish families... And, wow, what a beautiful name! I think it's worth it to do some research on the name together with dh, perhaps even ask a rav or someone he is close to about it (wow! this is becoming so cliche in my posts lately, but so far I have only been talking from personal experience!) so that you both can have a good feeling about it.

I think it sounds lovely!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:15 pm
thank you everyone for your responses! It is a big help!
-OP

syrima

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:29 pm
I think the only reason it may be less common in very yeshivish circles is bc very few grandmothers were named Aliza, and some ppl want to name the exact Yiddish name. But nothing inherently in the name is Zionist or something. it has a beautiful sound, also! It's just kind of new, like Tehila.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:35 pm
Tehilla is an old Sephardi name.

syrima

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:43 pm
sorry, I guess my Ashkenazi roots are showing.
I had 5 Ilanas in my class and 1 Aliza but never met a Tehila until I had kids.

apple24

Post Tue, Jun 12 2012, 4:31 pm
I know quite a few yeshivish Aliza's - I hink that it's borderline - it could go either way.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 7:16 am
The Tehila I know is Ashkenazi, modern chassidish.

b from nj

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 8:38 am
syrima wrote:
I think the only reason it may be less common in very yeshivish circles is bc very few grandmothers were named Aliza, and some ppl want to name the exact Yiddish name. But nothing inherently in the name is Zionist or something. it has a beautiful sound, also! It's just kind of new, like Tehila.

My husband's grandmother was named Aliza Geula. Her father was a well-respected rav in Europe & then in America & dare I say a Zionist too Wink! I will admit though that the name was VERY uncommon in those days in Europe. I am proud to be the mother of an Aliza as well named after her great-grandmother. I am not Yeshivish nor am I MO. I'm just plain FRUM!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names