Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Spin off- Would you use your sisters name?
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 1:22 am
In my family you don't give same name as a sibling, just like a parent. Cousins it's ok so my kids & sibs kids have a bunch of same names. Dh's family names the same names. Dh is named after grandfather, each sib has a kid named after same grandfather. I find it creepy but they don't. If your family does this,( only naming after someone , not because you like it) then you don't need to ask permission. It's just assumed that you will use the name.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
In my family you don't give same name as a sibling, just like a parent. Cousins it's ok so my kids & sibs kids have a bunch of same names. Dh's family names the same names. Dh is named after grandfather, each sib has a kid named after same grandfather. I find it creepy but they don't. If your family does this,( only naming after someone , not because you like it) then you don't need to ask permission. It's just assumed that you will use the name.

Just curious. If you had a brother Moshe and your father wanted to name after his father / grandfather / uncle Moshe you would find that weird or not do it because of your brother?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 9:55 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
amother wrote:

Just curious. If you had a brother Moshe and your father wanted to name after his father / grandfather / uncle Moshe you would find that weird or not do it because of your brother?

If I had a brother named Moshe wouldn't that mean that my father named his son after his relative?

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 10:11 am
HindaRochel wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
amother wrote:

If I had a brother named Moshe wouldn't that mean that my father named his son after his relative?

Sorry, I meant your husband.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 11:58 am
Yes, if I were naming for the person Mt sister was named for. I have the same name as my aunt, and my cousin has the same name as my mother. My son had the same middle name as my brother and another child has My brothers first name. Both of my kids are named after different people then my brother, though.

My niece has the same name as me, but is named for someone in her mothers family.

Names, especially common ones pop up often and I don't think that it is a problem to reuse them. If my sister had a name given for a specific reason, instead of a family name I might think twice. I don't see anything wrong with cousins or nieces/nephews sharing names. I see it as a beautiful testament to a continuous legacy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 12:36 pm
I think family size also makes a difference (as in if you have 1 sister and davka use that name vs if you have 10 sisters and have run out of names).

I grew up with parents who don't use siblings' names...which was fine with me until my last baby who my husband wanted to name after his grandmother, and we didn't have any other names at the time...so her first name is the same as my sister's middle name, but other than a few questions from my family, it is ok. It's not like my sister goes by her middle name, and my baby goes by both names.

I wouldn't name for my mother's father, though, since my brother is.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 12:51 pm
Another spinoff, I really dislike the custom of each grandchild being required to name after the same great-grandmother or other relative. Then you end up with fifteen cousins named Yenta Sara. Which is a lot of fun (not) at family simchas or when calling up a relative.

"Hi, it's yenta sara."

"Yenta sara who?"

"Yenta sara reich. From flatbush? Chaim's daughter..."

"Oh, right. Hi! So what's new?"

"Um...I've forgotten by now."

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 1:02 pm
In many war affected families, you don't have 15 cousins named for the same ancestor. You are happy when one person is named after your dear great grandma, and you name after someone still unnamed. So I do love this custom - maybe then one person will do it Smile

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 7:30 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Another spinoff, I really dislike the custom of each grandchild being required to name after the same great-grandmother or other relative. Then you end up with fifteen cousins named Yenta Sara. Which is a lot of fun (not) at family simchas or when calling up a relative.

"Hi, it's yenta sara."

"Yenta sara who?"

"Yenta sara reich. From flatbush? Chaim's daughter..."

"Oh, right. Hi! So what's new?"

"Um...I've forgotten by now."

LOL We actually have this in our family, not because anyone is "required" to give any names, but because my mother and her siblings were very close to their grandparents, and when they died, each of my mother's 7 sibling who could gave the names. Growing up, we actually loved it. We would joke "if you meet someone from the X family you can guess the name within two tries" A few cousins went by specific nicknames, but many went by the same names, so we would refer to them by city -- I.e. "Sarah -- Monsey" called or "Chaim -- Baltimore" is coming to visit. I guess it was a good thing that my mother's siblings were so spread out geographically!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names