Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The Economic Crisis. What did you reduce from your expense ?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 10:49 am
My DH has been unemployed for 6 month already ( and no sign of upcoming work). So by me the first thing that went is cleaning help. I only had her twice a week ( I work full time) but decided it's not worth spending on it. And yes for those visiting: no you can't eat from the floor (to say the least :S but it's too bad I'm only human.) What do you skimp on?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 10:52 am
Op here. Posting from phone so excuse spelling and the title should have said: what did you reduce from your exoense list? Sorry

black sheep

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 11:16 am
the first thing I usually cut back on is cleaning help also. new clothing for me. only buy clothing that the kids need. I don't go to the bakery when things are tight, baking challah and cookies cost pennies but buying it can be close to 50 dollars a week. I stopped doing manis and pedis the last time we were tight financially, and I never restarted, don't even miss it. I learned to do my sheitels myself, and I still do it myself even when I can afford to get it done.

syrima

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 11:33 am
I went to work full-time, and we cut back on food expenses for Shabbos and Yom Tov. Hatzlacha to you!

mommy of boys

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 12:28 pm
when we feel tight I just dont buy anything other than groceries!
I dont keep any cash on me and I dont go shopping (especially not on-line)
I find that whenever I'm on the street with cash I buy something that I just realized I need, but if I wouldnt be looking I wouldnt miss it.
Last week I went out and found the perfect garbage can for my bathroom (cleaning lady broke my old one)
I also bought my kids cheap toys cuz they were with me and stuff was on sale, really cheap.
When I came home, even though I got real bargains I wouldve been perfectly happy w/o them + wouldve had some extra $ !!!!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 1:01 pm
We are penny pinching for nearly two years, and these are all the things I miss. Not all of those used to be regulars, but I didn't feel bad for treating myself once in a while. Right now, none of them are possible ever. I am slowly losing my mind. I want to add that I work, so not everything is as luxurious as it sounds.

No cleaners for dh's 100% shirts.
No cleaning lady. Even before pesach.
No summer vacation. Not even overnight hotel with just dh.
No manicures or pedicures.
No waxing.
No babysitter.
No bakery or takeout food.
No going out to eat. Not even for special occasion.
No buying anniversary or birthday gifts. Not even for five dollars.
No car service. Not even when it's complicated gettting to the doctor with a sick baby.
No camp or day camp for the kids.
No activities with the kids that cost $$. Not even now when they are off for 2.5 months.
No ice cream from the ice cream truck.
No new clothes for anyone.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 1:22 pm
We haven't really reduced but we live pretty frugally.
No cleaning help -but my house is not perfect.
No manicures, pedicures, or facials (all things I did when I was single)
No takeout- either it's cooked or it's cereal and milk
No car services and no car
No clothing purchases that are not on sale in closeout stores (daffys marshalls etc)
No eating out except my birthday and our anniversary
No date nights that cost money
No prepared sauces, marinades, dips, salads, dressings etc.
No juice or soda

Thats all I can think of now. We are trying to save money and live on one salary so we do the best we can. I'm sure over the years other things will change the list

amother

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 2:45 pm
Here is what we did:

No cleaning help - I have my kids help me and we do what we can.
No takeout-everything is homemade as much as possible.
I only purchase neccessities - nothing extra at all.
Only eating out once every 3 or 4 months.
No date nights that cost money
No prepared sauces, marinades, dips, salads, dressings etc.
No juice or soda
No vacations or trips with the family - we go to all the free places and have lots of fun doing it to!
No sunday programs or extra programs for the kids - even the shul ones because they cost money instead we make homemade projects.
I use chicken for most meals meat only for chulent on shabbos.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 1:58 pm
It's a combination of expensive items and small items.

Expensive items--we cut back on vacation. DD goes to public (Jewish) school. Trimmed hours for the nanny, esp when the children are on school holidays. Cut back on pampering/treatment. Less expensive but still nice simcha gifts/hostess gifts. Instead of everyone going to family simchas abroad, send only DH (usually simchas on his side of the family). Only buy kids clothes when on sale (aside from uniforms). Don't buy books/DVD, instead use libraries. I don't really buy clothes or shoes or accessaries for me, I have enough items that still fit.

Smaller, everyday items--I cut back on lunches (bring own instead of buying prepackaged kosher lunches), cut back on Starbucks. Stopped buying unnecessary food items (snacks, kids treats), switched to private brand or value brands, check fresh produces in discounted near-expiry date shelf. Less expensive meat cuts, (we mostly don't eat chicken or meat during the week anyway). Some items I only buy when they're on sale. Reduced heating hours and lower the temperature. Cut back on gardener but we keep the cleaning help (who comes only once a week for a few hours).

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 3:09 pm
We're alsoliving on one income, and we're cutting down a lot. I don't buy myself or kids clothes buy only necessary groceries but here the thing we have still have 2 more years left to our car lease. I was thinking to maybe rent it out to people for the weekends? Is that completely illegal? Insurance&leasing & gas is about 500 a month! I am s o tempted. What do you think?

sushilover

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 5:57 pm
BH my dh found a job, but when we were in your situation (hugs by the way Hug )THis is what we did

No new clothing for either of us
no carrying cash
scrambled eggs, tuna, tuna sandwiches, egg sandwiches etc for supper at least twice a week (one tough month it was at least four times a week)
no cleaners
no cleaning help
no salmon or meat for shabbos
no going out with friends
Anytime I felt I really needed something (for example fixing a broken lamp) I would wait a week before doing anything. Often I found that something I thought was such a necessity, was really something I could actually live without.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics