Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Nice baby names
Previous  1  2  3  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 12:59 am
We did the same thing... we had the names pretty much chosen had the baby been of one gender and were undecided for the other gender.

Wouldn't you know, two weeks ago we found out we're having the other gender and we're now in the process of once again trying out different names.

We actually have the two names chosen, it's a question however of talking to relatives. This is my husband's first (my third) and as much as I would like to name for a relative of mine who has passed, I've given the Zechut of the names to DH.

As I am 35, and it took us a year of fertility treatments to even get pregnant, the odds of future children together are slim. DH would like to name for a living relative of his, for the honor of the name. Our Rav (we're Ashkenazi, if we were Sephardi it wouldn't be an issue) told us that since it is purely Minhag and not Halacha, there's really nothing wrong with naming for a living relative. So now we have to speak to DH's father and grandparents.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 11:11 am
mirikush wrote:
I have a question not entirely unrelated to this forum. I am expecting in April and feel as though it might be a girl (even though we have 6 sons and only 1 other daughter....but that's another story)
I have just been looking into my DH family in Poland (Jiezerna/ Galicia). His Great grandmother died after a pogrom in 1915? as she refused to go to the hospital and be treated by a male doctor and tried to look after her wounds at home (or so the story goes). Her name was Sossie (I have no idea of age). Does anyone have an idea what it A. means, B.is it the yiddish version of a hebrew name. It is spelt samech, Alef, Shin, Ayin. I have asked around but noone seems to ask. I was told to ask someone in the Adas (hungarish) community because of the towns location but I don't really have a connection to anyone there...
A granddaughter of the woman named after her was killed in the shoah also so I would be adding a name. Still have to ask a shiloh with my Rav and still need some convincing as all my children have hebrew names not Yiddish but I feel an urge to use it!.)(a very strong urge!!)
In the end the baby will probably be a boy and then it won't matter!!
But any ideas would be much appreciated!!!!

Sossie imho is one of the forms of Soshia, Sashia, Sasha... the real name could be Alexandra. Sashia was the name of the wife of the Baal shem tov.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 11:57 am
mirikush wrote:
I have a question not entirely unrelated to this forum. I am expecting in April and feel as though it might be a girl (even though we have 6 sons and only 1 other daughter....but that's another story)
I have just been looking into my DH family in Poland (Jiezerna/ Galicia). His Great grandmother died after a pogrom in 1915? as she refused to go to the hospital and be treated by a male doctor and tried to look after her wounds at home (or so the story goes). Her name was Sossie (I have no idea of age). Does anyone have an idea what it A. means, B.is it the yiddish version of a hebrew name. It is spelt samech, Alef, Shin, Ayin. I have asked around but noone seems to ask. I was told to ask someone in the Adas (hungarish) community because of the towns location but I don't really have a connection to anyone there...
A granddaughter of the woman named after her was killed in the shoah also so I would be adding a name. Still have to ask a shiloh with my Rav and still need some convincing as all my children have hebrew names not Yiddish but I feel an urge to use it!.)(a very strong urge!!)
In the end the baby will probably be a boy and then it won't matter!!
But any ideas would be much appreciated!!!!

It sounds like Sassya, or Sussie for short. It's pretty.

RachelB

Post Tue, Dec 26 2006, 10:30 pm
Oh,ladies-I love girl names you mentioned: Tehilla,Emunah and more...
My DH loves the name Nili (Netzach Israel Lo Eshaker)....yeah, I know :-(

catonmylap

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 5:27 am
There is a great list of Hebrew names on the shilav website.

http://shilav.co.il/boysnames.asp
http://shilav.co.il/girlsnames.asp

I only found it after dh and I basically agreed on a name.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 11:15 am
RachelB wrote:

My DH loves the name Nili (Netzach Israel Lo Eshaker)....yeah, I know :-(

My husband loves names with "hidden meanings" like this one, or Sharlott/Charlotte (shalom rav leohave toratekha), and also something with Massada (or Israel?) that will never fall again. Too bad I've lost the Jewish mag that gave tons of names like that, they're so fun!

Anyway, we did consider Charlotte seriously, but my father is a Charles... so, no.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 7:44 am
Cant believe I forgot to come back here but I found out about 2 weeks ago that it's a boy. So let's get working on the boy names!!

lotte

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 8:30 am
After you read the book:"Names in the Kabbalah-"you are not gonna search for a modern/ different name any longer!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:15 am
K but I am not reading the book, so...
I also didnt say modern or different. I just said not very typical

mumof1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 2:22 pm
creative wrote:

Quote:
but I heard that if the person died young or was sick ur not surposed to name after them........anyone hear of that?

you are supposed to add the name of one of the avos or imahos if you are naming after someone who died young or had a terrible death.
its a shemira.

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:35 pm
a friend named their baby EL - on
or somthing like that - they are isreali

ny21

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:43 pm
on onlysimchas.com
they have names

Last edited by ny21 on Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total

smiley:)

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:50 pm
the name is ETL-Etiel, meaning Hashem is with me. It was also one of the names of Shlomo Hamelech.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 12:02 am
My cousin named his oldest Erel. I believe it's one of the angels.

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 2:16 pm
the baby was the first one to have that name in his state
and they sent him a certificate.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:43 am
Ok guys... we've narrowed it down a little bit. Can you put in your vote on this narrowed list?
Avishai
Eitan
Yonatan
Yehoshua

And we're open to suggestions still. Thanks!

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
Ok guys... we've narrowed it down a little bit. Can you put in your vote on this narrowed list?
Avishai
Eitan
Yonatan
Yehoshua

And we're open to suggestions still. Thanks!

Eitan and Yehoshua
Don't like Avishai.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:56 am
Anyone else?

lst

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 5:43 am
they are all nice, in my opinion.
id say my favorite is yonatan

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 6:37 am
I love the name Eitan - it means strength and its one of the names for Avraham Avinu. "Strength" is a good attribute to give to a future Jewish man.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names