Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam, Far Rockaway Inquiry
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:14 am
I love Mrs. Zytman...used to work with her. She is very intelligent, frum, normal, not superficial, and very approachable. A very special person.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:30 am
Are they open to Cedarhurst parents or are they more interested in far rockaway crowd ?

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 11:30 am
Are they open to Cedarhurst parents or are they more interested in far rockaway crowd ?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 2:56 pm
There are girls from everywhere, and as long as you are the right fit they will be open to you. My phone is about to die, so I will post more later.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 4:32 pm
I'm sure they are open to anyone who is interested.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 7:35 pm
Any tuition info

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 7:43 pm
Hi I have another angle; I send to BBY but spent a lot of time talking to R. Neuman before he opened. My understanding is that the way he differentiates himself from TAG and BBY, is that both of those schools have a more traditional Bais Yaakov approach, in that a lot of their chinuch takes on a tone of Yirah, rather than ahava and simcha. They both have a lot of warmth, and are beginning to deal with some of the more realistic social issues, but their staff has a lot of old-school style mechanchos, a strong emphasis on lo taasehs (especially tznius and what not to watch, read, play, etc) followed by the ethic of how to get into a competitive seminary, and then score a good shidduch. Again- they're good places, but Rabbi Neuman seemed to be more tolerant, more open, more into cultivating each girl and family's ruchniyus from wherever they're at. Not sure who he ended up attracting or how the education plays out. The only reasons we didn't send were 1. some of our girls were too old, and we didn't want to separate and 2. we didn't want to be the first ones, when there were pretty good established options. Hope that helps; good luck:)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
Hi I have another angle; I send to BBY but spent a lot of time talking to R. Neuman before he opened. My understanding is that the way he differentiates himself from TAG and BBY, is that both of those schools have a more traditional Bais Yaakov approach, in that a lot of their chinuch takes on a tone of Yirah, rather than ahava and simcha. They both have a lot of warmth, and are beginning to deal with some of the more realistic social issues, but their staff has a lot of old-school style mechanchos, a strong emphasis on lo taasehs (especially tznius and what not to watch, read, play, etc) followed by the ethic of how to get into a competitive seminary, and then score a good shidduch. Again- they're good places, but Rabbi Neuman seemed to be more tolerant, more open, more into cultivating each girl and family's ruchniyus from wherever they're at. Not sure who he ended up attracting or how the education plays out. The only reasons we didn't send were 1. some of our girls were too old, and we didn't want to separate and 2. we didn't want to be the first ones, when there were pretty good established options. Hope that helps; good luck:)

exactly. I was going to say the same thing, but you said it much better than I would have.

in regard to tuition, I dont know for sure, and I dont know anything besides nursery, because my daughter is in nursery, but if I am remembering correctly byam is cheaper than both, but im not sure by how much. it could be the base tuition is close and then all the add ons make the others higher, im really not sure....

amother

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 9:03 pm
I am also sending there next year, and haven't heard from them yet.
I also was starting to wonder what the story is.

pobody's nerfect

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:00 pm
just curious- where in far rockaway is the school located?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Apr 30 2013, 10:08 pm
In the old Darchei building, near b9 and seagrit.

amother

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 12:39 pm
Were you able to get through yet ? Are they still open for next year?

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 1:33 pm
They are definitely open for next year. But they are a new school and dont yet have all their forms and applications established yet. You can't expect them to be as organized as a school that is established and running for 10-20 years.

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 12:46 pm
Is there a uniform prepared for the first grade? I know tag implemented one from pre1a is there a uniform for pre1a ? Also when is it mandatory for the kids to wear skirts? In tag I believe always where in bby pants are allowed in nursery and maybe kindergarten in cold months. Also when are knee socks and long sleeves required ?

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 12:49 pm
Another practical question : is there bussing for kindergarten or only pre1a

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 12:50 pm
Oh and school lunch? Is there any?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a uniform prepared for the first grade? I know tag implemented one from pre1a is there a uniform for pre1a ? Also when is it mandatory for the kids to wear skirts? In tag I believe always where in bby pants are allowed in nursery and maybe kindergarten in cold months. Also when are knee socks and long sleeves required ?

my daughter is in nursery this year, so im not really in the loop on a lot of things, but from what I understand uniforms are for 1st grade. skirts are mandatory in pre 1a, but obviously no one is going to object if you start earlier. I was speaking to rabbi numan yesterday about something else, and the issue of socks came up. he said that they would like the girls to wear socks or tights at all times. with knee socks, im assuming that will go along with the uniform.

there is bussing, I dont know from where or how it works, as again that doesnt apply to us. right now there is no school lunch, but that will probably change as the school grows and it is no longer cost prohibitive.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:18 pm
There is bussing from Woodmere and cedarhurst. There is no bussing for Far Rockaway but I know Mrs Zytman wanted that changed for first grade. I don't know details since I'm not sending there for first grade.

amother

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:07 pm
hey ill post in blue because im a new amother, but I just thought id add that apparently the nursery tuition is about 2,000 dollars cheaper then kindergarten in order so that they can attract parents. My daughter will b"h be attending this coming year for nursery and we are very excited! When we went for our interview r neuman was extremely warm, open congenial. he was very open to dialogue and told me that he is not trying to attract "yeshivish" families, rather he is trying to attract "toradik, growing families" which I tot. dig. He spent about two hours schmoozing with us and answering all our questions. it was a very pleasant experience.

amother

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 6:12 pm
woops that didnt come out blue...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers