Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How To Get IV For YK In Spring Valley, NY Neighborhood
Previous  1  2  3  4

Liba

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 10:19 am
Inspired wrote:
the chevrah wrote:
Rav Alyashiv zt'l said IV is ok. In fact he himself got IV y'k instead of drinking. So if it doesn't seem right to you, don't take IV. Though I doubt you're a bigger posek than Rav Elyashiv. The right thing to do is follow YOUR rabbi.

Not mikabel.

Last year Yom Kippur Rav Elyashiv z"tzl was on IV. The pertinent and missing information is that he was on IV antibiotics BEFORE and AFTER Yom Kippur as well. He didn't have an IV inserted for the fast.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 10:51 am
kb wrote:
I agree. My point is that I assume at this point a rav would tell me it's the right thing to eat shiurim, I would have that side of me saying but I was fine last time, maybe I'll be fine again, so maybe the rav is wrong or being too cautious...

I'm always quick to say 'if a rav says something you listen, even if it's not easy to accept or you don't understand'. But now I see there really is that other side - and can understand why someone would not want to listen. And that yes, in a repeat situation - that I have to sit down in the middle of mincha shmone esrai because I'm sweating and dizzy, it would still be easier to accept a psak to take iv that to actually (yes, literally: GASP!) eat or drink something on Y"K.

We're brought up so strongly NOT to do certain things from a very young age. To go against that is really unnatural at this point, and would be very difficult. If there's an alternative, I can very easily understand someone opting for it.

Are you nuts? Seriously I am shock shock shock shock shock .

Daven tefilat lachash (what it is called on Shabbos and YT when there are 7 brochos) SITTING DOWN OR LYING DOWN lady. Why are you standing up if you are dizzy???? Are you nuts??? Yes, I'm shouting.

This is just crazy. Go and learn halacha. Go and learn what we have to do, what we should do if possible and what is nice to do. The first priority on YK is to FAST. Even if you can't daven a word. And there is no problem to daven lying down if you can't stand. Even for vidui.

Maybe if people learned halachas and wanted to do what Hashem wanted, and not what they felt good about, we could solve lots of problems. If someone wants to do ratzon Hashem they will eat and/or drink if that's what halacha says.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 10:52 am
Liba wrote:
Inspired wrote:
the chevrah wrote:
Rav Alyashiv zt'l said IV is ok. In fact he himself got IV y'k instead of drinking. So if it doesn't seem right to you, don't take IV. Though I doubt you're a bigger posek than Rav Elyashiv. The right thing to do is follow YOUR rabbi.

Not mikabel.

Last year Yom Kippur Rav Elyashiv z"tzl was on IV. The pertinent and missing information is that he was on IV antibiotics BEFORE and AFTER Yom Kippur as well. He didn't have an IV inserted for the fast.

Now that makes sense. Like I said, I never heard of this mishegas in EY. Someone who is already in hospital with an IV for medical reasons is a completely different halachic situation.

Cookies n Cream

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:01 am
Isramom8 wrote:
What, IV so that you can stand during shemona esrei? Why are you standing? Why are you in shul? Why are you davening a long tefila? Why aren't you lying in a comfy bed in an air conditioned room?

I think the people that are on IV are usually sitting/laying.

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:05 am
my rav was very hesitant about giving a heter for shiurim, when he heard IV is an option he said rather that. I was lying down anyway, OB's orders

merelyme

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:13 am
Since this seems to be so widespread (though I've never heard of it till this thread), can someone give me the names of recognized and respected Rabbanim who say to insert an IV especially for Yom Kippur rather than eat/drink with shiurim, or even not to fast?
If you can tell me with which "stream" this Rav is associated, I would appreciate that, too.

the chevrah

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:15 am
All I did was quote a grandson of Rav Elyashiv. He said his grandfather rather got IV than drink so he shouldn't be so weak. No mention of medication or being sick. Then he was up all night learning. What a giant!

merelyme

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:18 am
the chevrah wrote:
All I did was quote a grandson of Rav Elyashiv. He said his grandfather rather got IV than drink so he shouldn't be so weak. No mention of medication or being sick. Then he was up all night learning. What a giant!

Leaving out pertinent information (that Rav Elyashiv was on an IV for other reasons, before and after the fast) is misleading, to say the least.

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 27 2012, 11:23 am
shalhevet wrote:
Liba wrote:
Inspired wrote:
the chevrah wrote:

Not mikabel.

Now that makes sense. Like I said, I never heard of this mishegas in EY. Someone who is already in hospital with an IV for medical reasons is a completely different halachic situation.

What troubles me is the idea of rabbis making medical decisions of this type, and/or for medical interventions to be undertaken without proper supervision.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur