Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I'm worried about my baby!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:03 pm
She is a year and a half and adorable. Today she was holding herself by the vaginal area and kept repeating boo boo pamper. I was finishing my dishes and figured she needed to be changed. But then she seemed really in pain like it was urgent. So I quickly dropped the last couple of forks in the sink and took a look. Her diaper was clean but inside her private part she has a cut.

How could she have gotten a cut there? Is this normal? I'm waiting for my doc to call back, in the meanwhile I'm pretty nervous.

I do remember that when she was a newborn the doctor did a procedure on her that opened up her hole a little more he said it was too small. I couldn't really handle that very well as I'm very squeemish and I wished he would have asked me first. My baby cried out in pain at the time. Now I'm nervous that the tear he made is causing problems!

I'm also scared he is going to accuse me of making that cut somehow. I have heard some horror stories about people bringing their kids in with issues and being put on the defensive.

Please some experienced imamothers help me out here....do any of you have experience with something like this? Thank you!

jaysmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:09 pm
Lets back track a moment. Your doctor performed a procedure on your daughter without your consent?

merelyme

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:12 pm
The procedure as a newborn is of no relevance to the cut.

Does the cut look clean, not infected? Is it shallow, like a scratch, or deep?

Besides you, OP, who cares for your daughter?

jaysmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:18 pm
merelyme wrote:

Can I ask you how you know with such certainty that the cut and the procedure are not related? I think the OP may need to have the cut looked at and depending what happened with the doc doing that procedure, perhaps another doctor should be seen in this instance.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:31 pm
op here. She was a few weeks old, it was a check up, the doc just grabbed a piece of gauze and made a rip there. I was horrified and my stomach turned. But he said it was nothing and would go away.

My daughter goes to a babysitter twice a week. Two different babysitters and I trust both of them. In the meanwhile I gave her motrin, held her (she was kvetchy) and then put her down for her nap.

Does anyone have experience with a doc doing that procedure and it leading to something like this? Honestly that is the only thing I can think of.....could a diaper rash cause a cut, she had a pretty bad one a couple days ago lasted two days.

I'm pretty nervous.

jaysmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:47 pm
OP, wow. Your doctor should not have done that without talking to you first and having your consent. I am really just....shocked. He made her urethra larger? Is that where the cut is? I dont know what to tell you to do, but personally if I were you, I'd absolutely find a new doctor that I trust and either bring my baby there to be looked at or try to get an appointment with a pediatric urologist to find out what the heck that doctor was doing and what is up with the cut (assuming the vaginal area you are referring to is the urethra).

It is certainly possible that the diaper rash caused a cut if the area was very raw. I would say this: IF she was very raw, and the cut isnt near the area the doctor tore and you need time to find a different doctor, you could try triple paste ( best diaper cream ever) and see if it heals. BUT accepting medical advice over te internet is always risky, so you may just want to take her to a good pediatrician to be on the safe side.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 1:59 pm
OP here. I'm not a hundred percent sure if the cut is coming from the urethra. To be honest because I panic quickly and don't have the best eye for these type of things I rely on my husband to help me out in these situations. But he is at work and won't be home until five thirty.

Thank G-d he is gifted with a really good eye and a good instinct as well. I want to know what he thinks before I decide to go back to my ped about it. He will be able to figure out where the cut is exactly.

In the meanwhile I'm shaken up. To make matters worse I have an important meeting tomorrow morning, and won't be able to take her to the doc until the afternoon. Oy vey.

imaima

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:02 pm
OMG

Now I am worried for your baby too. I would definitely take her to a different doctor or to a hospital right after the nap.

busydev

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:03 pm
ask your ped (I would also say to find a new one) if you can/should put an antiseptic on the cut or just diaper cream or leave it?

it could very well be from the rash... my DS had a terrible rash once and there wasnt a cut, but there were a couple spots that were bleeding by the worse places. I just lathered on the diaper cream for the next few days.

ElTam

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:21 pm
Diaper rashes caused by a yeast infection often can get cuts/bloody areas. Can she reach into her diaper? She also could have scratched herself if it is really painful. If it is a yeast infection, regular diaper rash cream likely won't clear it up.

There is no way I would ever go back to a doctor who performed a procedure on my child without my full and informed conset.

jaysmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:25 pm
While you have gotten some different imput here.....thats four votes for a new pediatrician. I hope you will take that into consideration and discuss it with your husband.

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:30 pm
He ripped her because it was too closed???!!!!!!!

That is barbaric!! It simply requires a special (hormonal) cream and she'll open up gently.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:39 pm
Op here. Thanks all for your replies, I'm a little calmer after speaking to a friend rationally about it. Still waiting for dh to come home and see what he says then we will decide what to do.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 2:57 pm
I am not the OP.

I don't think he enlarged her urethra. I'm guessing it was her v@gina. My dd had that done too, also without consent. Her regular doctor said it may open by itself, we should wait until she's 2, and he did nothing. When she was 15 months old, another doctor saw her and said, "Her v@gina is only slightly open! She can get a UTI like that, if the opening is too small!" (Don't ask me what the connection is between the v@agina and UTIs.) Then he put some hormonal cream on a Q-tip and used that to rip it open. She was very uncomfortable for a few days- but that may have been because she had a horrible yeast infection at the time.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 3:30 pm
I think Op is overacting a bit. Cuts can happen, and if your daughter is anything like mine, who happily socks pencils, poems and tips into her diaper,,. Not to mention foods, a small cut can sometimes happen. And doctors do not regularly put people on the offensive because a child gets a small cut in a private place.

From your story it sounds like this happened when your child was alone with you. It doesn't s sound like anything nefarious happened to her. Unless you have not changed her since the last time she was with someone else, its unlikely that you would not have noticed it before.

Add to your poured performing a procedure without consent, that's something you might want to think about, but its a pretty minor procedure, and I have heard it done pretty regularly, and some doctors just assume that you'll say yes, not that that is great, just throwing it out there.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:04 pm
I do think that the two things are unrelated.

Problem 1: A doc you don't like. Leave him. Find a new doc you trust. You clearly don't trust this one.

Problem 2: The cut. See your new doc for advice. But my DD, who is the same age, has recently started playing with her diaper. She's learned to take it off. It's possible DD scratched herself. It could still be from the diaper rash. Hopefully it's nothing. You are worried and that's great and you should make sure that your daughter is healthy, whether it's diaper rash or not.

Can you take her to a doctor now? Urgent care or something?
Never be afraid of seeming like a crazy overreacting mother at the doctor's . You're allowed to as a mother.
If it will calm you down it's worth it. If you suspect anything that needs urgent care then it's worth it. If you want, obviously.

merelyme

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:18 pm
jaysmom wrote:
merelyme wrote:

Can I ask you how you know with such certainty that the cut and the procedure are not related? I think the OP may need to have the cut looked at and depending what happened with the doc doing that procedure, perhaps another doctor should be seen in this instance.

It's clear the cut is unrelated to the procedure because the op said
amother wrote:
She is a year and a half and adorable.

and
amother wrote:
I do remember that when she was a newborn the doctor did a procedure on her

She wouldn't have a fresh cut now because of this procedure a year and a half ago.

OP, I don't see answers to my previous questions: Does the cut look clean, or infected? Is it deep or a surface cut, like a scratch?

Last edited by merelyme on Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

myself

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:21 pm
Could she perhaps have scratched herself whilst you were changing her diaper?

jaysmom

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:37 pm
merelyme wrote:
jaysmom wrote:
merelyme wrote:

It's clear the cut is unrelated to the procedure because the op said
amother wrote:
She is a year and a half and adorable.

And a year and a half later it would be virtually impossible for a complication to arise?
and
amother wrote:
I do remember that when she was a newborn the doctor did a procedure on her

She wouldn't have a fresh cut now because of this procedure a year and a half ago. A cu

OP, I don't see answers to my previous questions: Does the cut look clean, or infected? Is it deep or a surface cut, like a scratch?

The OP was not specific about the procedure and I just dont think you can say for certain that an iritation in he area is not related.

merelyme

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 5:58 pm
jaysmom wrote:
The OP was not specific about the procedure and I just dont think you can say for certain that an iritation in he area is not related.

???
I'm sorry, I don't understand. She said what the doctor did and that it was when her daughter was a newborn. Now her daughter is a year and a half old.
How could her daughter have gotten a new scratch from this procedure done over a year ago?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics