Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Will Prince will Marry his girlfriend?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 4:29 am
only1 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
only1 wrote:
If you know anyone from England then you will know that's not correct.
Although you could call the The Royal family the original celebritys.

But the truth is in shul in England they make a mishaberach for the queen, so it does interest most people who is holding that title.

Can I answer since I'm from England?
All the interest in the Royal Family is just gossip like the other posters said.
And the reason they make a misheberach is that it is a halacha to daven for the wellbeing of royalty, so that there won't be anarchy.
Who cares which shikshe he marries?

it is gossip like any other, no one was denying that.
But it is very different gossip then jolie-pitt and paris hilton. A poster was aghast that anyone would speak about it on this board because we shouldnt be speaking about TV and movies. But what does who Prince William marries have to do with TV and movies?

It is exactly the same as TV and movies. People are interested in them because they are good-looking/ well-dressed/ rich/ famous etc. Why should anyone care anymore whether Prince William gets married or John Smith from Birmingham or Bill Jones from Minessota?

B"H I don't know who the other people mentioned are.

But if we are interested in people because of non-Jewish values, it is a problem. No-one here is suggesting for a moment that any of these people are famous for their wonderful middos, Torah knowledge or chessed activities. shock So why are people more interested in them than John Smith??

With 'their' heroes, the closer you get to them the more you see it is all a facade and without their money and fame they are nothing.

With 'our' heroes, the closer you get to them the more you see how great they truly are.

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 10:56 am
Does the royal family have any real poweR?

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:05 am
sorry, there are some famous actors that do a lot with their money toh elp others, probably more than jews doto help each other. maybe thats one lesson we can take from them.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:13 am
momoftwins wrote:
Does the royal family have any real poweR?

The Queen theoretically has the veto on any law passed in the British Parliament. She never uses it in practice. But it affects the halacha about her - for example about the prayer for her in shul, since she is not technically just a figure head.

ny21

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:14 am
thnaks for the answer .

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:20 am
shayna82 wrote:
sorry, there are some famous actors that do a lot with their money toh elp others, probably more than jews doto help each other. maybe thats one lesson we can take from them.

Puke Puke Puke

Oh really? Would you like to name one famous actor who gives even 10% of his earnings to help others? Even the ones who mean well are probably giving a very small % of their enormous earnings. And for what motives?

It's pretty sad that you feel the need to speak badly of the entire Jewish people. I hope that you take it back, since it's not a very good idea (to put it mildly) to do so.

There is some Chassidish story (see, even I know some Surprised ) about there was a tumult in Heaven that some non-Jew gave a large sum of money to a poor Jew. It raised terrible kategoria (accusations) against the Jewish people. Until some Chassidish Rebbe started to daven (don't remember the details) that the Heavenly Court should check out how much he'd paid for his dog, and it was discovered that it had cost the same sum.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:23 am
There are many famous actors who "give back"! I don't keep up with much of this Holloywood, nonsense, but I understrand that Oprah built a school in South Africa . . and that Mo Vaughn of the Mets built a low-income (ethnic) building.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:08 pm
shalhevet wrote:
only1 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
only1 wrote:
If you know anyone from England then you will know that's not correct.
Although you could call the The Royal family the original celebritys.

But the truth is in shul in England they make a mishaberach for the queen, so it does interest most people who is holding that title.

Can I answer since I'm from England?
All the interest in the Royal Family is just gossip like the other posters said.
And the reason they make a misheberach is that it is a halacha to daven for the wellbeing of royalty, so that there won't be anarchy.
Who cares which shikshe he marries?

it is gossip like any other, no one was denying that.
But it is very different gossip then jolie-pitt and paris hilton. A poster was aghast that anyone would speak about it on this board because we shouldnt be speaking about TV and movies. But what does who Prince William marries have to do with TV and movies?

It is exactly the same as TV and movies. People are interested in them because they are good-looking/ well-dressed/ rich/ famous etc. Why should anyone care anymore whether Prince William gets married or John Smith from Birmingham or Bill Jones from Minessota?

B"H I don't know who the other people mentioned are.

But if we are interested in people because of non-Jewish values, it is a problem. No-one here is suggesting for a moment that any of these people are famous for their wonderful middos, Torah knowledge or chessed activities. shock So why are people more interested in them than John Smith??

With 'their' heroes, the closer you get to them the more you see it is all a facade and without their money and fame they are nothing.

With 'our' heroes, the closer you get to them the more you see how great they truly are.

I don't agree, if you knew more about the celebritys who are running around today because of TV and movies (and its a good thing you dont know!) you would know that gossip about speculation about prince williams bride is different, much more "kosher" gossip. There has always been gossip surrounding the royal family, even before tv and movies were invented.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:18 pm
shalhevet wrote:
shayna82 wrote:

Puke Puke Puke

Oh really? Would you like to name one famous actor who gives even 10% of his earnings to help others? Even the ones who mean well are probably giving a very small % of their enormous earnings. And for what motives?

It's pretty sad that you feel the need to speak badly of the entire Jewish people. I hope that you take it back, since it's not a very good idea (to put it mildly) to do so.

There is some Chassidish story (see, even I know some Surprised ) about there was a tumult in Heaven that some non-Jew gave a large sum of money to a poor Jew. It raised terrible kategoria (accusations) against the Jewish people. Until some Chassidish Rebbe started to daven (don't remember the details) that the Heavenly Court should check out how much he'd paid for his dog, and it was discovered that it had cost the same sum.

I didnt mean it in that sense of the word at all. of cource there are tons of jews who give. All I was saying, is that its a stupid comment to say that there are no non jews who are charitable, and giving.

im not gonna edit my post because it dosnt sit well with you. maybe you are too literal!

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:20 pm
there were countless actors and actresses who stepped up and donated large sums of money to the katrina victims. it maybe a small percentage of their total net worth, but thats not the point. maybe some do do it for popularity sake to get into the next months magazine, but there are plenty actors, jewish ones included who im sure did it fo rthe right reasons. did you donate to katrina victims? chances are you didnt. why not? because you save your money for jews, right??

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:22 pm
There are actors who give, and there are actors who don't give. Just like there are jews that give and there are jews that don't give.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 12:27 pm
thats all I was trying to say. some people see the actors as selfish greety people who are so into themselves that they cant see the needs of others. there are plenty of good ones too.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:42 pm
shayna82 wrote:

Sorry, shayna. I think it was a misunderstanding. I also didn't say no actors gave money to charity. I understood from your post that some actors do more to help others than ANY Jews do to help one another. What I was trying to say was if you want to find the biggest givers, even many 'ordinary' Jews give ma'aser (tenth) which is probably far more proportionally than these actors. But you are right that there are some actors (and some lawyers, and some doctors, and some journalists and ...) who even though they are not Jewish, we can learn from their charitable giving.

But I still say
Mi K'Amcha Yisroel!!!!!

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 1:43 pm
glad that we agree Smile

and even if we didnt!!!

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 3:55 pm
I'am not a Royalist but Princess Diana did do some good things. She changed public opinion on poverty in Africa, also HIV and AIDS she brought to the forefront. She was always prepared to stop and talk to people espoecially in hospitals. She would never be scared to stop and hold a crying baby in hospital or stop and sit down next to a really ill person and hold their hand. She brought down barriers and that is why everyone loved her. So no she was not like a general celebratey she made a different to the world.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 5:04 pm
Quote:
only1 wrote:

And she was and forever will be Englands fairy tale princess who was loved by all.

Speak for yourself. I have better role models, lehavdil, than adultresses. (Not that the other side was any better)

Well, she wasn't loved by me, thats for sure. Mentally unstable adultress with bulimia. Hmmmm... I also smile at babies, even dirty sick ones, and no ones written me up in Hello yet. Sad

I think Charles is great for marrying someone not good-looking. I like him all the better for that. He was an idiot to marry Diana in the beginning! (he only married her because she was a besulah!)

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Apr 14 2007, 5:20 pm
Just turned the radio on to the headlines, William and Kate have split up!!!!! Well that comes as a real surprise not, they would never have been allowed to get married. He being the future king and them living together for ages. Let's hope the top people who run this country do not push him into marrying someone he does not want because we will have the same story all over again that happened to his father and mother.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 11:13 am
I thought they wanted them to marry.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 11:15 am
oh so very sad. lets bring out the tissues!!!!

rainbow baby

Post Sun, Apr 15 2007, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
oh so very sad. lets bring out the tissues!!!!
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter LOL this was the headline news yesterday!!!!! Actually I think it was the headline news still this morning!!!!! How very sad. Crying The countries really in mourning, NOT!!!!
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics