Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you serve 10, w/h last minute notice?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 2:31 pm
wow, Freilich!

but it sounds like they enjoyed.

Who knows where these Shabbosim will lead their souls to.....

And an idea 4 a very fillind dish: mashed potatoes mixed w/ chicken or meat - u need less chicken if you just served it separetely. be very generous w/ the sause

pls keep us posted!

Tefila

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 3:12 pm
Thanks fy now Please keep those recipes coming they like spices no? So some spiced up stuff. . You'd think this was the first time I've done such a thing. Well on last minute notice I've never had more then 3-4 show up. Normally I'm forewarned.

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 3:03 am
try a menu like this.
first course
Two types of fish, matbucha, szchug not sure how to spell but israeli's love it with everything, chumas, tehina, egg salad, potato salad, regualar salad, cucumber salad, avocado dip.

second course
soup

third course
roast, chicken, green beans, mashed potato, cabbage salad, carrot salad

desert
cake and ice cream

that should fill everyone up, that is what I serve when I have guest. and it fills up the most hungriest and not to expensive. either. for the day make a big cholent maybe using two big pots. make one with chicken, one with meat cholent.

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 9:55 am
just wondering... how much does a roast cost in israel?

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:28 am
it runs about 7 dollars for two pounds. and I usually get about two and half pounds

Chanie

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:36 am
$3.50/lb? do they deliver?

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:38 am
is meat subsidized there like bread?

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 11:47 am
the differents is that we are living off shekals and you guys are living off dollars so a roast can run us about forty and fifty shekals. it is not a bad price that is for sure. people are not exactly meat eaters here maybe from what I know of from the community that I live in. they eat mostly milk and pareve and meat occasionally maybe for a simcha.

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 12:30 pm
Quote:
so a roast can run us about forty and fifty shekals.

same here, a small roast can cost at least 40 dollars.
but is it really 7 dollars for two pounds? thats half the price of here.

funny, all the people I know in israel are not meat eaters either. but we dont have roasts very often either except for a special occasion.

I wonder how much chicken costs there...

SWatson

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 12:39 pm
[quote="RG"]
Quote:

I wonder how much chicken costs there...

it depends on hechsher, but about from 10-30 sheckels per kg, (better hechsher - higher price), sorry dont know in pounds

gryp

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 12:51 pm
thanx Smile
im not sure how to convert kilograms into lbs but im sure ill find the formula somewhere

SWatson

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 1:00 pm
1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds

supermom

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 1:47 pm
it comes out about 2.50-7-50 for every 2.2 pounds.

Sunshine

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 4:26 pm
supermom wrote:
try a menu like this.
first course
Two types of fish, matbucha, szchug not sure how to spell but israeli's love it with everything, chumas, tehina, egg salad, potato salad, regualar salad, cucumber salad, avocado dip.

second course
soup

third course
roast, chicken, green beans, mashed potato, cabbage salad, carrot salad

desert
cake and ice cream

that should fill everyone up, that is what I serve when I have guest. and it fills up the most hungriest and not to expensive. either. for the day make a big cholent maybe using two big pots. make one with chicken, one with meat cholent.

Wow!!! Do you really make all that food? Can I come to you for Shabbos? Wink Sounds like n/o leaves your table less then stuffed. I thought I make a lot for Shabbos but I guess you out do me. No wonder why you are a supermom making all that food while watching the kids. You must have enough left overs to last a week. I wonder why Israeli's don't eat a lot of meat if it is so inexpensive? If I could get roast for 3.50 a lb we would be eatting it all the time. I thought they don't eat meat cause it is expensive but if they would only come to America and see how much it is here.....

meesi

Post Mon, May 09 2005, 6:27 pm
When we have company for Shabbos, sometimes I take the easy way out and buy cold cuts (deli meats) with lots of pareve salads, etc. We have a wonderful kosher bakery nearby that sells kosher sliced turkey, chicken, pastrami, roast beef, salami, etc. Put that on some challah with mustard...Mmmmm- Is is Shabbos yet?

Chana

supermom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 1:00 am
stuffed is not the word I learned from my mother make sure no one ever leaves your house hungry. leftovers. no. guest can't even move a inch yup. I like to know that my guest feel comfortable to eat whatever they want to and how much this way they don't feel like they have to be skimpy on the food. We once had a guest that asked to stay for the night cause he couldn't even move to walk home.

As for a regular shabbos alone home. well that is a whole different story. it will mostly be the same I just take out the soup and roast.

the cholent part well I don't make two cholents only one wht the meat. but freilich I figured might need two. so why not make it interesting and do one with meat and one with chicken

supermom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 1:01 am
sunshine you are invited anytime. I love to cook so come right over with your whole family of course

sarahd

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 7:13 am
Can I come too? Better yet, can you send over a Shabbos? It'll last me for a month at least!! Very Happy

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 1:55 pm
supermom wrote:
sunshine you are invited anytime. I love to cook so come right over with your whole family of course

Thanks for the offer! Very Happy Now I just have to find sponsors for the tickets LOL

supermom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 3:09 pm
how about I will email you your whole shabbos sarahd

and sunshine I can email the meal if you want too. 8)
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen