Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Making Pesach on $300!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Lani22

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:43 am
[quote="shalhevet"]
SacN wrote:
We have a couple people to eat out by, but not enough to eat out every meal--not 2nd day meals.
Yes, it will be on someone else's budget--I imagine people would not invite us if they could not afford it. We won't go begging for meals to people who wouldn't be having guests otherwise--we are talking about close friends nearby who are happy to have us over here and there. We can try to get invited out for one seder, but will probably be making the 2nd.

I have to say that I find this attitude really unpleasant. I don't know, maybe your friends are millionaires here on vacation, or wealthy Israelis who can readily spare the money, but most people find Pesach expensive. If they are your friends and you tell them you are coming to Israel for YT, it's kind of awkward to say, 'oh, you know we are really great friends, I hope it works out that we meet up at some point'. What are they supposed to say? It's a rather unsubtle hint when you call people up in advance and let them know you'll be in their city/ country for YT. Even if they can afford it, it would be nice to bring a nice gift if you are eating a meal, certainly if it's several meals.

why is her attitude unpleasant???? she has close friends who invited her and her husband and young child for a meal.....idk- if a friend called me to let me know they would be in town for a holiday and I couldnt afford to have them for a meal I would say- oh wow I would love to see you, can we get together at the park with our kids to hang out? or why dont u stop in for tea so we can catch up? she obviously knows her friends can affrd to have her r she wouldnt have accepted the invites...

SacN

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:46 am
When we call our friends, we suggest getting together the week before Pesach or during Chol Hamoed. We have very much not implied that we need to be invited out for meals, in fact, we have suggested otherwise and still been invited to eat with close friends. I am only working this into the budget because I know that people have invited us who are happy to have an additional two people, who are close friends that they rarely see, over for meals.

We will be in Ramat Eshkol. Mehadrin hechsherim, hand matza for sederim and lechem mishna, machine shmura for everything else. If anyone knows of bulk orders in the area I could get onto, the best grocery stores around there (or reasonable drive, since I'll have a car) or gmachim for pesach utensils, etc, that would be helpful.

Thanks for all of your tips--it sounds like I'll be stopping at Amazing Savings before we leave.

cinnamon

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 11:56 am
shalhevet wrote:
SacN wrote:
We have a couple people to eat out by, but not enough to eat out every meal--not 2nd day meals.
Yes, it will be on someone else's budget--I imagine people would not invite us if they could not afford it. We won't go begging for meals to people who wouldn't be having guests otherwise--we are talking about close friends nearby who are happy to have us over here and there. We can try to get invited out for one seder, but will probably be making the 2nd.

I have to say that I find this attitude really unpleasant. I don't know, maybe your friends are millionaires here on vacation, or wealthy Israelis who can readily spare the money, but most people find Pesach expensive. If they are your friends and you tell them you are coming to Israel for YT, it's kind of awkward to say, 'oh, you know we are really great friends, I hope it works out that we meet up at some point'. What are they supposed to say? It's a rather unsubtle hint when you call people up in advance and let them know you'll be in their city/ country for YT. Even if they can afford it, it would be nice to bring a nice gift if you are eating a meal, certainly if it's several meals.

I don't know... I would be very disappointed if a friend was coming to my city for y"t and didn't let me know, or let me know to late to invite her. I think it is perfectly fine to tell people you are coming. If they want to invite you for a meal they will if not they can tell you to come over for coffee one night.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:05 pm
SacN wrote:

We will be in Ramat Eshkol. Mehadrin hechsherim, hand matza for sederim and lechem mishna,

Mehadrin is a very broad category, especially for Pesach. You really need to find out something more specific. E.g. would you eat Rabbanut Yerushalayim mehadrin? And if you would, who told you what the difference is from regular Rabbanut on one hand, or Eida on the other.

Handmade shmura is much more expensive in the shops - can one of your friends order it for you in advance? Do you want only Eida? Or Rav Landau?

Quote:
machine shmura for everything else.

In the stores, machine Eida shmura is around 100-120 shekels (IIRC) for 2.5 or 2 kilos.

Quote:
If anyone knows of bulk orders in the area I could get onto, the best grocery stores around there (or reasonable drive, since I'll have a car)

Maybe Osher Ad (in Givat Shaul) is the cheapest? I would imagine Ramat Eshkol is expensive.

Quote:
or gmachim for pesach utensils, etc, that would be helpful.
I doubt such a thing exists. Especially because no one using mehadrin would trust utensils with mehadrin standards of other people.

smss

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:15 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I don't know, maybe your friends are millionaires here on vacation, or wealthy Israelis who can readily spare the money, but most people find Pesach expensive. If they are your friends and you tell them you are coming to Israel for YT, it's kind of awkward to say, 'oh, you know we are really great friends, I hope it works out that we meet up at some point'. What are they supposed to say? It's a rather unsubtle hint when you call people up in advance and let them know you'll be in their city/ country for YT. Even if they can afford it, it would be nice to bring a nice gift if you are eating a meal, certainly if it's several meals.

I don't know any millionaires or even 'wealthy' people, but most ppl I know can b"H afford to and do have guests for meals...even on pesach. a couple and a toddler is really not a lot.

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:20 pm
Expect to pay about 25nis a kilo ($3 a pound) for whole mehadrin chickens at a large store. Local stores are generally much more expensive. Parts cost more, except wings. You can get "cholent wings" on sale from time to time for 5nis a kilo ($0.61/lb) and bones for not much more than that. They work well for soup - and at that price soup is more frugal than any other fleishigs. If you can bring a pot for soup it would make it a lot easier. Soup is a bit tricky IME in disposable dishes.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:26 pm
SacN wrote:

We will be in Ramat Eshkol. Mehadrin hechsherim, hand matza for sederim and lechem mishna, machine shmura for everything else. If anyone knows of bulk orders in the area I could get onto, the best grocery stores around there (or reasonable drive, since I'll have a car) or gmachim for pesach utensils, etc, that would be helpful.

Do not go to Yesh in Ramat Eshkol. Same prices as the Makolet.

Go to Shaar Revacha (Formerly Sharei Ezra) on Yechezkel. About a 10 min drive from Ramat Eshkol. Cheapest around. If you're only planning on the very strict meat, Rubin or Bedatz or something, you can go to Hackers right there or get a delivery from Metaam Chafetz Chaim. Both comparably priced.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:33 pm
SacN wrote:
Yes, it will be on someone else's budget--I imagine people would not invite us if they could not afford it. We won't go begging for meals to people who wouldn't be having guests otherwise--we are talking about close friends nearby who are happy to have us over here and there. We can try to get invited out for one seder, but will probably be making the 2nd. ...

I assume these people invited you to make you feel comfortable here and to spend time with you. I have a feeling they don't suspect that one of your reasons for accepting their invitation is in order to lower your own food budget (as you wrote in your OP).
I think it's in very bad taste to accept an invitation for that reason.
I hope you are planning to give your hosts a gift of some kind, even if that will raise the budget.

curlgirl

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:37 pm
cinnamon wrote:

I don't know... I would be very disappointed if a friend was coming to my city for y"t and didn't let me know, or let me know to late to invite her. I think it is perfectly fine to tell people you are coming. If they want to invite you for a meal they will if not they can tell you to come over for coffee one night.

You'd want to host your friend for a meal, even knowing that she wrote: "We want to eat out as many day meals as possible, to cut down on the food budget" on an online forum?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:40 pm
curlgirl wrote:
SacN wrote:
Yes, it will be on someone else's budget--I imagine people would not invite us if they could not afford it. We won't go begging for meals to people who wouldn't be having guests otherwise--we are talking about close friends nearby who are happy to have us over here and there. We can try to get invited out for one seder, but will probably be making the 2nd. ...

I assume these people invited you to make you feel comfortable here and to spend time with you. I have a feeling they don't suspect that one of your reasons for accepting their invitation is in order to lower your own food budget (as you wrote in your OP).
I hope you are planning to give your hosts a gift of some kind, even if that will raise the budget.

I'm glad someone else finally understood. If you (OP) had written 'we won't be eating all our meals at home, because we have friends we really want to see and they have invited us for some of the meals', I never would have reacted as I did. I just find it distasteful that you are using other people's money as a means of lowering your budget (as opposed to legitimate means like making cheaper menus and finding out the cheapest shops to go to).

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 12:43 pm
Liba wrote:
Expect to pay about 25nis a kilo ($3 a pound) for whole mehadrin chickens at a large store. Local stores are generally much more expensive. Parts cost more, except wings.

Parts are almost always more expensive. You can often find Eida chickens for 20 sh/ kilo before YT (Bar Kol often has specials on meat and chicken - frozen). Shnitzel, thighs, bottom quarters can get up to over 40 shekels/ kilo, but sometimes specials for under 30.

Mrs.R

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:05 pm
where on yechezkel is the new shaarei ezra?
I thought it was gone for good...

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:05 pm
In the US chicken legs were cheaper than whole chickens. I miss that!!

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:07 pm
shalhevet wrote:
curlgirl wrote:
SacN wrote:

I'm glad someone else finally understood. If you (OP) had written 'we won't be eating all our meals at home, because we have friends we really want to see and they have invited us for some of the meals', I never would have reacted as I did. I just find it distasteful that you are using other people's money as a means of lowering your budget (as opposed to legitimate means like making cheaper menus and finding out the cheapest shops to go to).

I think everyone is over reacting. the op wrote that to explain her situation. I don't think she said anywhere that she is only eating out to save money and put that expense on others. She was explaining that she would like to eat out to lower costs and didn't feel the need to mention that she would be enjoying the company of friends she hasn't seen in a long time... I feel sometimes (often??) on imamother people nitpick on silly details without answering the op's question.

Recently my husband's friend from out of town called and said he'd like to come visit as he will be in town for a few hours for a wedding. When he came he hung out for a while and than he said "ok can we get dressed for the simcha here?" and brought in bags for his family and they all got changed. Did I care that he "used" (not my interpretation but possibly that of fellow amothers) us for a changing stop? absolutely not- I was so happy that we got to see them and that he felt comfortable enough to assume it would be ok. And before you say we didn't feed them etc. your right but we changed our entire schedule to accommodate them and that's a big deal for a family on it's 1 day off.

I think she is happy to see her friends - excited to go to israel but realistically admitting that she is not upset by the fact that seeing these friends for meals will save her money she may otherwise have had to spend when she doesn't extra money to spend.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:10 pm
Mrs.R wrote:

A little further up from their old location in the big building that used to be Yesh, formerly Aleph, formerly Zol Po. Next to the Ezer Mitzion building. But it's now called Shaari Revacha. Something like that.

shev

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:12 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
Mrs.R wrote:

A little further up from their old location in the big building that used to be Yesh, formerly Aleph, formerly Zol Po. Next to the Ezer Mitzion building. But it's now called Shaari Revacha. Something like that.

It's on Rechov Yermiyahu not Yechezkel.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:14 pm
So sorry, totally correct. Yechezkel is the one leading to Geula!

SacN

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 1:23 pm
Quote:
I think everyone is over reacting. the op wrote that to explain her situation. I don't think she said anywhere that she is only eating out to save money and put that expense on others. She was explaining that she would like to eat out to lower costs and didn't feel the need to mention that she would be enjoying the company of friends she hasn't seen in a long time... I feel sometimes (often??) on imamother people nitpick on silly details without answering the op's question.

This. I agree.

I posted that we will be eating out meals to save money---yes, indeed we are saving money. If we were eating out solely to save money, I'm sure we could find people to host us for every meal. We are not doing that, because A)we don't want to impose and B ) we want to spend Pesach with our friends and family.
Perhaps the way I said it came across as distasteful, and if it did, I'm sorry. I absolutely am thrilled to see these friends over Pesach and would fit those meals into my budget if we had not already been invited out and would even find a way to invite these people over to us and expand my budget if that was the only way for me to see them. Realistically, I know that we are eating out and that it will save us some money, and I'm grateful that this is the case. I also do obviously know about hostess gifts, as well as bringing my own matza and wine. I'm not a rude inconsiderate person--I just know that if we are eating out 2 meals out of four, it saves us a good deal of money, and since we have already been invited out, I'm counting on it when making the rest of the budget. That's all I meant to say in my OP regarding the issue. If you disagree with that, well then, I'm sorry.

Thank you to everyone who gave me information about shopping! I will definitely keep notes of all this info for when we get there.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 3:41 pm
Osher Ad in Givat Shaul is definiatly the cheapest for Mehadrin food, but be forewarned that it will literally be a zoo before Pesach! Also know that if you are having girls for the Seder is is perfectly acceptable to ask them to bring their own Matza and wine, so that should save you some also. If they give you a hard time about it, then they are not guests worth having! I was in sem for 2 years and stayed for Pesach both and always offered to do so, even though some hosts told me not to worry about it!

b from nj

Post Wed, Feb 06 2013, 5:45 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
curlgirl wrote:
SacN wrote:

Recently my husband's friend from out of town called and said he'd like to come visit as he will be in town for a few hours for a wedding. When he came he hung out for a while and than he said "ok can we get dressed for the simcha here?" and brought in bags for his family and they all got changed. Did I care that he "used" (not my interpretation but possibly that of fellow amothers) us for a changing stop? absolutely not- I was so happy that we got to see them and that he felt comfortable enough to assume it would be ok. And before you say we didn't feed them etc. your right but we changed our entire schedule to accommodate them and that's a big deal for a family on it's 1 day off.

I think she is happy to see her friends - excited to go to israel but realistically admitting that she is not upset by the fact that seeing these friends for meals will save her money she may otherwise have had to spend when she doesn't extra money to spend.

Personally, I'd have no issue with a friend "using" my house as a changing spot but I would not be happy if they are just looking at my yom tov meals as a budget-saving plan (aka free food)! To me, that just sounds a tad moochy. In short, don't lower your expenses on someone else's dime (or shekel).
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics