Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
This ridiculous doctor is putting my child in danger!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Fabulous

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:10 pm
Again, just anecdotally, I had a terrible sinus infection a few months back and I took a very strong antibiotics (zpack doesn't really work for me). Within three days, I felt like a new person (still finished out the ten day dosage).

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:14 pm
Op, if you're in Brooklyn I can refer you to an allergist who can tell the difference and will tell you when it's a real sinus infection that has to be treated with antibiotics.
I've been there, treated with 5 antibiotics in 3 months before I met him.
And he can give you nasal sprays for relief if it doesn't need to be treated with antibiotics.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:22 pm
ElTam wrote:
I have about three sinus infections a year. I try mucinex (a little relief), neti pot (a little relief), tylenol (a little relief). Finally it gets so bad that I go get a zpak (I hate antibiotics) and I feel like a new person in 36 hours. So for some types of sinus infections, they do work. I've been getting them for 20 years.

If you are not comfortable with your doctor, switch. Antibiotics may not be the answer for your child, but you need a course of treatment that is showing results.

I think seeing an ENT is a good idea. It is something on my list to do when I have two seconds for myself.

I am so terrified of the neti pot.

LALA2

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 9:42 pm
op- do you mind sharing which practice you use? I actually feel my dotor uses abx too often....thanks :-)

Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 10:00 pm
Like others have posted, abx are often mis-prescribed for sinusitis. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/antibiotics

Not to mention that whether you notice it or not, antibiotics have negative side affects such as destroying the good bacteria in the gut. Abx overuse is not harmless.

working hard

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 3:57 pm
As someone who suffered chronic sinusitis for several years I have to agree, antibiotics was not the solution. Go to an ENT, my sinuses were blocked and it took 2! years to figure it out. I needed surgery 3 times to solve the problem. Check it out now! It is worth it. Probably the ENT will say it is a regular infection but it is worth the trip. Hatzlacha

cookiejar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 12:14 am
I must say, as many times as my dr. tells me that antibiotics is usually not necessary to treat an ear infection and that they are usually viral and/or go away by themselves, I have NEVER in all my years as a parent, seen it really happen! I watch and wait and watch and wait and try not to treat, and they NEVER seem to get better, only worse! And somehow, after the first day or two (or sometimes dose or two!) of antibiotics, they seem like a different child. Just my little humble experience here...

miami85

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 12:53 am
Not sure if this qualifies, but a little over a year ago my son had back-to-back-to-back ear infections--treated with 3 different antibiotics. We were going crazy with the twice a-day torture sessions of antibiotics+tylenol+probiotic. and the last time he had a concurrent eye infection--so add eye drops into the equation. After he finished the 3rd round of antibiotics we took him to the dr. to check--as we were about to go away for a little vacation--she said, he has some fluid in his ears, it could be the start of another infection, it could be viral, but I dont want to give antibiotics just yet, but I don't want you to be without it while you're away, so I'll prescribe the medication and tell them NOT to mix it, so that you can start it when you need it. We never ended up using the medicine--over a year later it's still sitting in my closet.
I've had a lot of colds in my life--probably some that could've been sinusitis, never took antibiotics for them,

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 7:57 am
tissues wrote:
JAWSCIENCE wrote:

I would be very uncomfortable with a physician who prescribed things just to make the mom feel like she is getting what she wants even if they think it won't help the situation.

I actually once asked my doctor about antibiotics in regards to an ear infection. Her response was that most of the time she prescribes antibiotics for the PARENTS who can't bear to see the child in pain. She said that usually in goes away on its own but if she sees the parents aren't happy with hearing that, she'll give them a prescription...

No wonder antibiotics is often overused!

Same here.
My pediatrician usually says to wait out the ear infection and if ir doesn't go away after a few day, will then prescribe antibiotics or drops.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 9:43 am
cookiejar wrote:
I must say, as many times as my dr. tells me that antibiotics is usually not necessary to treat an ear infection and that they are usually viral and/or go away by themselves, I have NEVER in all my years as a parent, seen it really happen! I watch and wait and watch and wait and try not to treat, and they NEVER seem to get better, only worse! And somehow, after the first day or two (or sometimes dose or two!) of antibiotics, they seem like a different child. Just my little humble experience here...

I've held off on abx twice for an ear infection. Both times I tried homeopathic stuff to help it clear up. One time, that was enough and the child was completely clear at the follow up visit. The other time the child's symptoms got worse after a couple of days, so I started abx.

smss

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:10 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
cookiejar wrote:

I've held off on abx twice for an ear infection. Both times I tried homeopathic stuff to help it clear up. One time, that was enough and the child was completely clear at the follow up visit. The other time the child's symptoms got worse after a couple of days, so I started abx.

what homeopathic stuff is available for ear infections?
does this go for other kinds of infections too - waiting to see if it clears up on its own - or just ear?
does it depend at all on how old the baby is if you can wait or not?

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 7:30 pm
I also suffer from chronic sinusitis. Doing saline rinses/neti pot has really changed things for me.

Several ENTs have told me that z-pack is one of the worst at clearing up a sinus infection - a stronger abx like Avalox is better. And yes, antibiotics only help matters if there is an actual infection not a virus.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 9:05 pm
smss wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
cookiejar wrote:

what homeopathic stuff is available for ear infections?
does this go for other kinds of infections too - waiting to see if it clears up on its own - or just ear?
does it depend at all on how old the baby is if you can wait or not?

I do this all under the guidance of my pediatrician. I've done it for sinus as well, and it cleared up without abx. She determines based on all the factors involved whether or not its safe to try alternative treatments, or if its too risky.

cookiejar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:18 pm
I think that it is not safe not to treat (or at least very carefully monitor) a baby under 6 months. Otherwise, I try to use my sechel and do try to hold off as long as possible. I obviously do not ignore raging fevers or being up all night crying in pain! I am actually ingoring (I.e. trying not to treat) one right now as we speak... I'll keep you all posted. (I do not know if this is safe for other types of infections, BTW. IME, once you see eye discharge from the ear infection, you really have to treat. Please don't bash! This is just my pediatrician's way...)

imaimawannabe

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:20 pm
PLEASE take him off of dairy.
you will be shocked when you see how much dairy aggravates both sinus infections and asthma.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:26 pm
imaimawannabe wrote:
you will be shocked when you see how much dairy aggravates both sinus infections and asthma.

This is true for some people, but not all. It did absolutely nothing for us. Usually can't hurt to try, though.

imaimawannabe

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:32 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
imaimawannabe wrote:

This is true for some people, but not all. It did absolutely nothing for us. Usually can't hurt to try, though.

True for about 80- something percent... you are the exception.
Dairy is poison for ppl with chronic sinus infections.

cookiejar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:41 pm
Not sure if the commented was directed at me, but we are already off it, thanks Smile

granolamom

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:45 pm
cookiejar wrote:

And I usually wait a few days, if dc is still not feeling better I go to the dr, fill the script and wait till the next morning. 9 times out of 10, my child starts to recover without the meds

tissues

Post Sun, Feb 17 2013, 10:50 pm
granolamom wrote:
cookiejar wrote:

And I usually wait a few days, if dc is still not feeling better I go to the dr, fill the script and wait till the next morning. 9 times out of 10, my child starts to recover without the meds
Baruch Hashem I've never had to use antibiotics for an ear infection. I treat it with garlic oil and usually symptoms subside the next morning. (and if not, then the morning after that). In general my kids haven't often had ear infections and I'm grateful for that B"H.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics