Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do Ashkenazi vegans eat on Pesach?
1  2  3  Next

goodmorning

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:49 pm
Considering that so many vegan sources of protein are either kitniyos (beans, peanuts, buckwheat, etc.) or chometz (seitan)?

This is largely theoretical (though some food allergies figure into my wondering about this).

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:53 pm
Matzah, fruit, vegetables, and nuts. This is not theoretical. We have a vegan friend whom we have had over on Pesach. Matzah and nuts form a complete protein. If you have the right grinder, you can make nut butter to spread on matzah.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:53 pm
Oh,and chocolate, of course!

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 9:57 pm
PS I misread the title as "What do Ashkenazi virgins eat on Pesach" and was torn between wondering what one's secksual experience or lack thereof has to do with dietary restrictions, and wracking my brains for a G-rated answer to the riddle.

I need to get more sleep.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Oh,and chocolate, of course!

and as much as possible.

I'm a vegetarian who eats dairy and fish. I'm also an avid baker, and now need to sell my well-loved sour dough starter (lorraine is her name) to my neighbor and hope she is fed and cared for for the duration.

Ima_Shelli

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 10:14 pm
Lots of quinoa.

BTW, I think Mayim Bialik blogged about this topic last year.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:20 pm
Potatoes potatoes potatoes

spring13

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:26 pm
Quinoa, nuts, fruit, veg, matza. I wouldn't want to do it, but my brother and his wife seem to manage.

techiemom

Post Wed, Feb 27 2013, 11:38 pm
I have an acquaintance who loses lots of weight over Pesach, and he's slender to start. At least my vegetarians (dh, one dd and one ds) will eat eggs and cheese. My dd started the ball rolling when she was around 8 years old, erev Pesach. She looked at the turkey and said 'no' and I had no idea what to do. Now I make lots of vegetable side-dishes, some kugels, extra eggs and their favourite - Matza Ball Stew - which is basically veggies cooked in tomato paste and water, then add little matza balls which soak up the flavour while they are cooking. I am still upset that we had to give up quinoa last year - I made a lot of different products with it Sad . Anyone know what's being said this year about quinoa?

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 4:50 am
It must be pretty hard.

Culturedpearls

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 6:07 am
Mushrooms?

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 6:35 am
we had a guest one year who was a vegetarian and allergic to nuts. That must also be very difficult.

morah

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 6:40 am
I know someone who got a heter to eat kitniyos. But it was a very extreme situation.

spinkles

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 10:03 am
There's plenty to eat.

Whole wheat matzah.
Tons of nuts.
Baked butternut squash.
Roasted veggies (zukes, onions, peppers, etc.).
Roasted root veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions).
Spaghetti squash with sauteed onions, basil, salt, chopped tomatoes.
Ratatouille.
All kinds of dips (Israeli style salatim) made with eggplant etc.
All kinds of smoothies.
Smoothies can be turned into healthy yummy popsicles.
Fruit salad.
Compote.
Green salad.
Israeli salad.
Steamed broccolini with sundried tomatoes and pine nuts.
Tzimmes.
Date-coconut candy.
Beet-orange salad.
Marinated cucumber salad.
Charoses all week long.
Mashed potatoes with sauteed onions.
Fried potatoes made with onion and green pepper (aka home fries).
A thick veggie soup.

Mishmish

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 11:36 pm
With respect to quinoa, Ancient Harvest has a Pesach run again this year. Under the Star-K. You can order directly from the company online and specify the Passover quinoa. They only sell it directly in bulk--either a 50 lb bag or a case of 12 boxes. I've spoken with the company many times for allergy reasons and they are very nice.

http://star-k.org/cons_quinoa.htm

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Feb 28 2013, 11:49 pm
They make an exception to their usual preferences because it's Pesach.

A Jew has to eat meat on Pesach. Any other time they can eat whatever they want that's kosher.

Veganism isn't a religion. It's a thing some people like to do. You can "violate" it without penalty.

Judaism has an animal-death component that's part of it, and won't go away. Think of the Akeda, which is talked about every single day, as far as I know. That is a very big deal, a central event, and can't be approximated in one's mental belief substituting soy meal for the ram. The ram gets it. He kicks the bucket. Buys the farm.

There are reasons I can't express or know well enough to present to you. But a Rav could, if anybody wants to think about these complex, troubling and serious matters. But they are there.

There is no Girl's Version of Judaism where it isn't bloody and has been cleaned up. Judaism engages life very closely and well, and death is in the picture. And I don't mean vegetable death.

So you cope.

It's not the end of the world.

Life goes on even if you eat a piece of meat. The people down the street do it every day almost and they are fine. It may not be your thing but your religion is not agains it. And there is no Pesach without that blood over the door. Normally that would be a smelly housekeeping problem, but not this night. This night is different. At least we don't have to put real blood over our doors now. Eating meat is enough.

When Moshiach comes many things will be different, and this may be, too. I don't know. Let us hope to see that soon.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 12:05 am
I am pretty sure frum vegetarians and vegans don't eat meat on Pesach.

Nor have I ever heard a rav say it's required, today, when we have no korban pesach.

spinkles

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 1:08 am
Sequoia is correct. There is no chiyuv.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 4:36 am
there is very little protein in your list, chana f. would a person feel full just from matza, root veggies, fruit and veg, and some nuts? Maybe if they ate a LOT of nuts.

celestial

Post Fri, Mar 01 2013, 7:54 am
There is protein in vegetables (I know, shocker right? Very Happy)

Dolly, I don't eat meat year round or on Pesach,s o there goes your theory I guess.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics