Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do Ashkenazi vegans eat on Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3

chanahlady

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 8:36 pm
cm wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
Sherri wrote:
What are matzah meal cutlets?

Here's the recipe, in case you're interested. This is so good that I make them every year now.

Matzo meal cutlets with Sauteed Mushrooms

This recipe was adapted from the Union Square Cafe Cookbook and printed in the New York Times Passover Cookbook (page 105). Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Ingredients

* Olive oil for coating pan
* 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
* 1 chicken bouillon cube
* 1/4 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme
* 3/4 cup matzah meal, plus extra for coating the cakes
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Instructions

* lightly oil an 8-inch cake pan or straight sided tart pan
* In a 2 quart saucepan, bring to a boil the chicken stock, bouillon cube and herbs. Reduce the heat and simmer until the bouillon cube is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
* Slowly pour the matzah meal into the liquid with one hand while whisking constantly with the other (be sure to use a firm whisk). Continue whisking until smooth and creamy. The mixture will become quite thick. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
* In a bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk together; whisk the eggs into the matzah polenta. Raise the heat slightly and return the mixture to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
* Pour the cooked matzah polenta into the cake pan. With a spatula, spread the mixture evenly and smoothly. Cover, place in the refrigerator and chill thoroughly, at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
* Cut the polenta into pie-shaped wedges. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a moderate flame. Dredge the matzah wedges in the extra matzah meal and sauté on both sides until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.

Sauteed mushrooms

Thinly slice 6 oz. of mushrooms, fry them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil heated in saute pan until just smoking. Saute for 3-5 minutes, then add 1/4 cup white wine, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic. Mix around with spoon, then add salt and pepper to taste. Saute one more minute, and that's it!

This recipe calls for both chicken and egg. Not vegetarian, unless you use "chikin" broth mix, and not vegan either.

Copied right out of the book, which had it as a meat dish. I always substitute vegetable broth for chicken, and we are lacto-ovo vegetarians, so eggs are fine with us.

I adapted it further for vegans for the seder by removing the egg and adding potato starch instead.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 9:19 pm
cm wrote:
amother wrote:
its a chiyuv to eat meat on yom tov. whereas anyojne thats not allowed medically is differet. so what is everyone talking about?

http://www.jewishveg.com/faq31.html

Add to that the fact that it is d'rabbanan and for sure doesn't apply to women and children, since the original dictum is for each to get something that makes YT most enjoyable for them. For men, fish, meat and wine (as cm points out, only if they find it enjoyable), for women, new clothes, and for kids, nuts (meaning treats).

willow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2013, 11:14 am
chanahlady wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
We're vegetarians and don't eat meat or fish, but I once made an entirely vegan meal for one of the seders (we had vegan guests), and even the meat-eaters were satisfied. I can post the menu if anyone's interested.

Could you?

Thanks!

This is what it was, from three years ago:

mock gefilte fish
hearts of palm salad
sweet potato & butternut squash soup
matzah meal cutlets with mushroom sauce
whole roast asparagus
fruit

If I were doing it today, I'd add spaghetti squash with a Moroccan eggplant stew.

What is the recipe fpr ,pcl gefilta fish

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:43 pm
DS and DDIL are vegans and when Pesach rolls around they eat lots and lots of veggies, matza and potatoes. They also do a lot with nuts (you can now buy KLP almond butter which is a great substitute for PB) and quinoa as protein sources. Unfortunately, that's pretty much it in terms of protein sources. Whole wheat, spelt or oat matza helps some. They eat pretty well over the chag though. When they are with us we all tend to eat vegan, although MIL does make meat now and again, and we certainly eat very very well. They survive over the course of the week just fine.

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:51 pm
chanahlady wrote:
cm wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
Sherri wrote:

Here's the recipe, in case you're interested. This is so good that I make them every year now.

This recipe was adapted from the Union Square Cafe Cookbook and printed in the New York Times Passover Cookbook (page 105). Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1/3 cup olive oil

Instructions

* In a 2 quart saucepan, bring to a boil the chicken stock, bouillon cube and herbs. Reduce the heat and simmer until the bouillon cube is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes.
* Slowly pour the matzah meal into the liquid with one hand while whisking constantly with the other (be sure to use a firm whisk). Continue whisking until smooth and creamy. The mixture will become quite thick. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
* In a bowl, beat the egg and egg yolk together; whisk the eggs into the matzah polenta. Raise the heat slightly and return the mixture to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
* Pour the cooked matzah polenta into the cake pan. With a spatula, spread the mixture evenly and smoothly. Cover, place in the refrigerator and chill thoroughly, at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
* Cut the polenta into pie-shaped wedges. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over a moderate flame. Dredge the matzah wedges in the extra matzah meal and sauté on both sides until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.

Sauteed mushrooms

Thinly slice 6 oz. of mushrooms, fry them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil heated in saute pan until just smoking. Saute for 3-5 minutes, then add 1/4 cup white wine, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic. Mix around with spoon, then add salt and pepper to taste. Saute one more minute, and that's it!

This recipe calls for both chicken and egg. Not vegetarian, unless you use "chikin" broth mix, and not vegan either.

Copied right out of the book, which had it as a meat dish. I always substitute vegetable broth for chicken, and we are lacto-ovo vegetarians, so eggs are fine with us.

I adapted it further for vegans for the seder by removing the egg and adding potato starch instead.

How much potato start do you use instead of the egg? This sounds great and I'd like to make them for the last days when we'll all be together.

twokidstwo

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:59 pm
I have loads of vegetarian recipes, some are vegan: Here are two:

ROAST RATATOUILLE MOUSSAKA
2 medium aubergines
2 courgettes
1 red onion
1 red pepper
handful of mushrooms
olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes – for topping

Sauce
1 medium onion
1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
clove garlic
½ teasp oregano and basil
1 teasp tomato puree
seasoning
vegetable or olive oil

Oven 200C
Cut the aubergine, courgettes, red onion and pepper into chunks and place in a roasting tin. Coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast for approx 30 mins until soft, turning once. Set aside - & add the uncooked sliced mushrooms

Sauce:
Chop the onion, crush the garlic clove and gently fry in a very small amount of oil till soft. If you prefer, cook in water.
Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and herbs. Cook till soft. Season to taste.
Add the sauce to the cooked vegetables

Sweet Potato: peel and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Put the slices into the roasting tin, lightly sprinkle olive oil over them OR use a low calorie spray.
Bake for about 20 mins till cooked.

Place the mediterranean vegetables into a serving dish. Cover them with the roasted sweet potato so that the potato becomes the topping.
Bake in the oven for 20 mins, serve.
-----
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CORIANDER
1 butternut squash
I chopped garlic clove
1 sliced onion
1 teasp brown sugar
½ cup parve chicken stock
olive oil (or low cal spray)
Grated zest of ½ a lemon
2 tablespoons chopped (fresh) coriander

1. To prepare the squash, put it into a pan of boiling water and cook for a couple of minutes. Cool. Now it is much easier to peel!
2. Peel the squash and cut into cubes. Put into a roasting dish with a tablespoon of oil.
Oven temp 180C – for 30 mins, until cooked but not mushy.
3. While the squash is cooking, gently fry the onion until translucent then add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the sugar, stock, lemon zest and coriander and cook for a couple of minutes. (please do not omit the zest or coriander as these bring out the flavour of the dish).
4. Pour the squash into the pan with the other ingredients, stir through ……. Now it is ready!

Gsanmb

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 6:09 pm
Twokidstwo, those look great. Can you translate courgette into a U.S. vegetable (I assume aubergine is eggplant)?

I am a vegan. I also have Celiac Disease. My oldest daughter is a vegan. We do just fine on Pesach, although it can be a bit more challenging in some ways because one mainstay of our diets is legumes.

The irony of course is, that I NEVER eat Chametz. Never, never, and if I did it would make me quite ill. So the prohibition on kitniyot because it might come into contact with legumes....well, let us just say it is a nonstarter for me. I am very careful about cross contamination because not being careful means serious health ramifications.

But in any case: Dolly, I don't know what you're talking about. If a person is a vegan, they don't just "give it up" for the week. For crying out loud. Veganism is for many (and me included) a very conscious health and ethical choice. Yes, I have serious objections to the meat industry, the dairy industry, and the egg industry -- kosher or not. They are based on documented, well researched evidence. I choose to opt out of those industries by making a consciously different choice about what I consume. I don't yell at others for their choices (although I may think they're not well informed) and I would never think to tell someone their ethics are 'flexible' just because sometimes one is faced with a challenge. Rolling Eyes

In any event -- vegetables, fruits, quinoa, nuts, figure prominently. My daughter does not have Celiac so she can eat plenty of matza and matza meal products (my husband and kids eat gebrokts). It's just a week.

FWIW, I did get a heter for HER for certain kitniyot last year due to being younger than bas mitzvah. It did not apply to me, and this year it may not apply to her (we have to check again) since she was just bas mitzvah. My Rav (a yeshivishe Rav) was specific with us but not horrified or anything.

Keep the recipes coming! LOL

Mior

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:46 pm
I'm vegan and my husband is a vegetarian. I have many vegan and vegetarian recipes for Passover If anyone need I ll be glad to send them

celestial

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 8:47 pm
Mior wrote:
I'm vegan and my husband is a vegetarian. I have many vegan and vegetarian recipes for Passover If anyone need I ll be glad to send them

Would love to hear! Maybe share some of your favorites?

mushi

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 9:27 pm
B"H Just a little fyi: strict vegetarians, and vegan use a beet instead of a chicken neck or lamb bone, it is the only vegetable that bleeds. My nephew is a vegan and has been doing this for years :-)

bbmom

Post Tue, Mar 05 2013, 10:30 pm
This isn't a Pesach recipe for me but I'm sure it would work for many! I made it last night and it was delicious!

Vegan Eggplant Roll-Ups
1 medium eggplant
1/2 cup raw quinoa
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small red pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
3 cups tomato-based sauce- any of your liking

Slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips, place in pan and broil for 10 minutes on each side. Remove from oven to cool

In medium saucepan sautee pepper and zuchini until mostly soft. Add quinoa and mix. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Lower flame and simmer until water has been absorbed.

Place 2 cups sauce in baking pan.

Place 2 tablespoons of quinoa near the narrower end of each eggplant strip. Roll the eggplant towards the wider end. Place each roll seem side down into baking pan. Pour the rest of the tomato sauce on top.

Bake at 350 uncovered for about 25 minutes.

twokidstwo

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 3:51 am
I have posted several recipes under the heading:
Pesach - Vegetarian Recipes Available

Yulka

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 9:42 am
I found a lot of ideas here:here

• Latkes (replace the corn starch with potato starch and the flour with matzah cake meal or matzah meal)
• Roasted potatoes
• Matzo farfel granola (honey=agave)
• Baked apples or poached pears
• Haroset, of course!
• Nut roast
• Chocolate Toffee Matzo (non-dairy kosher for Passover margarine can be ordered online from a kosher retailer)
• Breakfast quinoa (use almond or cashew milk)
• Quinoa breakfast porridge (different from the first link)
• Potato Leek Soup
• Tzimmes
• Vegan chopped liver spread (no green beans or eggs!)
• Potato Mushroom Kugel (use KP margarine or just sub oil)
• Gefilte fish
• Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (skip the sauce)
• Tomato Bisque (saute in oil and use potato starch instead of flour)
• Sweet Potato Kugel
• Baked Eggplant Stacks with Roasted Tomato Sauce
• Roasted portobello mushroom
• Lemony Quinoa with Butternut Squash
• Creamy Zucchini and Basil Soup
• Artichoke Tapenade on matzo
• Smoothies
• Matzo ball soup

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 10:08 am
I think it's pretty rare for someone who follows the super strict minhagim of peelable vegetables only , to also be vegan. Vegetarianism isn't very common in very chasidishe /lubavitch / hungarian circles.

That having been said, I'm not a huge chicken/meat fan and I skip lots of the meat courses. If you can't have eggs or dairy either then youre really in trouble (but that begs the question how you get your protein all year long; only through beans? wow.)

The hardest part of being a vegetarian on pesach is if your family uses shmaltz and you can't have it... then you cant have any fried food at all.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 07 2013, 10:07 pm
I don't touch meat or chicken or too much dairy or eggs( don't like them)... So I find it very hard. Its a lot of fruits and
Vegetables and cake and nuts....

chanahlady

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 2:36 pm
bubbebia wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
cm wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
Sherri wrote:

Ingredients

* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1/3 cup olive oil

Instructions

Sauteed mushrooms

How much potato start do you use instead of the egg? This sounds great and I'd like to make them for the last days when we'll all be together.

I think I used 2 tbsp per egg.

chanahlady

Post Sun, Mar 10 2013, 2:38 pm
willow wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
Peanut2 wrote:
chanahlady wrote:
We're vegetarians and don't eat meat or fish, but I once made an entirely vegan meal for one of the seders (we had vegan guests), and even the meat-eaters were satisfied. I can post the menu if anyone's interested.

Could you?

Thanks!

This is what it was, from three years ago:

mock gefilte fish
hearts of palm salad
sweet potato & butternut squash soup
matzah meal cutlets with mushroom sauce
whole roast asparagus
fruit

If I were doing it today, I'd add spaghetti squash with a Moroccan eggplant stew.

What is the recipe fpr ,pcl gefilta fish

Found the recipe on another thread -- this is the one I used. It was just OK. I probably wouldn't go through the trouble again, but here you go:

Gefilte "Fish," Vegetarian (P, KLP)
Source: "Jewish Vegetarian Cooking," by Rose Friedman
Yield: Varies, depending on size of patty

3 medium potatoes, peeled
2 medium onions, finely chopped
vegetable oil for frying
1 large eggplant
2 cloves garlic, minced/crushed
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
paprika
matzo meal as required

Boil or steam the potatoes until they are tender, then put them to one side.

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Fry the onions in a little of the oil until they have turned a dark, golden brown colour.

Top and tail the eggplant, slice it in half lengthwise, sprinkle the flesh with oil and place them on a greased baking sheet, flesh sides down. Prick the skin in a few places with a fork.

Bake the eggplant until the skin starts to shrivel and the flesh is soft (about 20-30 minutes). Scoop out the flesh when it has cooked. Turn the oven down to 350°F.

Mash the potatoes, add the cooked onion, the eggplant flesh, garlic, parsley, season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and paprika, then mix in sufficient matzo meal to make a firm [but not hard] consistency.

Wet your hands and shape tablespoonfuls of the mixture into patties. Put the patties on oiled baking sheets and sprinkle each one with a little oil. Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes until they are golden brown.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics