Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Shabbos lunch ideas - Pesach cholent?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

enneamom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 5:47 pm
Pineapple wrote:
enneamom wrote:
I've heard of adding almonds to the cholent. Strange as it sounds, they cook to a bean-like consistency and taste.

Would this work on the stove?

You mean on a blech as opposed to a crock pot? Sure.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 8:40 pm
My kids look forward to Pesach cholent all year. I saute some onions and garlic, brown a few different kinds of meat (beef stew cubes, flanken, etc), add lots of cubed potatoes, water, and spices, and let it simmer all night.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 11:12 pm
Shred potatoes. Layer cholent with shredded potato layer on top sprinkled with salt. Do not add egg or water.
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

thanks

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 11:15 pm
Sometimes I make what we call Irish chulent. Cornbeef, cabbage (or sourkraut), and potatoes. Just add water. I doesn't slice, but the meat is soft and you break it up.

boysrus

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 11:21 pm
Thanks everyone, I love all of your ideas. and now I am spoiled for choice of what to make!

raizy@b

Post Tue, Mar 19 2013, 11:35 pm
I usually make pesach cholent with a lot of sautéed garlic and onions, meats and diced potatos. What effect does the shredded potato give to the cholent? Sounds good!

racz

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 8:08 am
I grate onions and potatoes and fry them and that goes in first, then I add chunked potatoes, meat and onions.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 8:12 am
raizy@b wrote:
I usually make pesach cholent with a lot of sautéed garlic and onions, meats and diced potatos. What effect does the shredded potato give to the cholent? Sounds good!

I add shredded potato and zucchini to thicken it and give it more of a "cholent" texture.

sleepwalking

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 8:21 am
ra_mom wrote:
Shred potatoes. Layer cholent with shredded potato layer on top sprinkled with salt. Do not add egg or water.
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

Can you explain Ra_mom? I have a shabbes platte, how will that work?

realeez

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 8:35 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

Glad you enjoy!

cinnamon

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 12:42 pm
sleepwalking wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

I would also like an explanation on this, thanks!

willow

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 12:59 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
boysrus wrote:
Hi!

Just trying to plan my menu for this coming shabbos and Shabbos chol hamoed.
What can I make for lunch, cholent is a bit lacking without barley and beans I find. Any suggestions? Btw, no gebrokt ideas please!
TIA

Instead of the barley & beans, I grate a few potatoes & zucchini to give it some thickness. This rest is meat, onions, garlic, potato chunks.

I love the zucchini idea. Does it give the stew a weird flavor?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 1:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!
What temp. Anyone?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 4:14 pm
willow wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
boysrus wrote:
Hi!

Just trying to plan my menu for this coming shabbos and Shabbos chol hamoed.
What can I make for lunch, cholent is a bit lacking without barley and beans I find. Any suggestions? Btw, no gebrokt ideas please!
TIA

Instead of the barley & beans, I grate a few potatoes & zucchini to give it some thickness. This rest is meat, onions, garlic, potato chunks.

I love the zucchini idea. Does it give the stew a weird flavor?

No, it really has no taste of it's own (I peel it); it just absorbs the other flavors and thickens it.

realeez

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 5:26 pm
cinnamon wrote:
sleepwalking wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

My original pesach cholent was a yapchick - layered meat and bones and then grated onions and potatoes. One regular week, I realized I had some grated potatoes that stayed behind in the processor but my kugel was in the oven already so not wanting to wasted, I packed it on top of my regular cholent and it got nice and crusty!

whirlwind

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 7:20 pm
I do the potato kugel/meat in the oven. Prepare potato kugel batter. Sauté onions and brown a few strips of flanker or other meat. Layer in TALL 9x13 potato kugel then meat/onions then potato kugel. Cover tightly, bake 400 for 2 hours. Before shabbos place in oven on 200 with another 9x13 pan under it half filled with water. Tastes delicious!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 20 2013, 8:46 pm
That's yap chic. Make with either meat or chicken

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:09 am
realeez wrote:
cinnamon wrote:
sleepwalking wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!

My original pesach cholent was a yapchick - layered meat and bones and then grated onions and potatoes. One regular week, I realized I had some grated potatoes that stayed behind in the processor but my kugel was in the oven already so not wanting to wasted, I packed it on top of my regular cholent and it got nice and crusty!

I'm very very tired and I still didn't understand how you do it embarrassed . Also I have an electric shabbos platta for Pesach Will it be good on that or will it burn?

Last edited by sleepwalking on Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 6:19 am
I added sweet potato to my Pesach cholent, and it was such a hit that I now add it year round.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 10:01 am
Tamiri wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks releez!!
Yum!
What temp. Anyone?

See realeez's exact instructions.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....atoes

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Apr 18 2014, 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics