Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Columbus, Ohio?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:46 am
I am looking into moving from our current city, and we are considering Columbus, Ohio.
Is there a good kosher store there? Is Chalav Yisrael available?
Thank You!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:48 am
dunno - but it's a hop, skip & jump from cleveland ... vrooooom What

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 9:53 am
There are families that keep only CY and survive. I'm not sure the logistics these days, but I know it's done. A freezer is probably an important thing to have.

(I used to live in C-bus when I was in university. There is at least one member here who is from Cbus and might be able to give you current information.)

Yes, it's only 2.5 hrs from "Jewish" Cleveland (did the drive MANY times since I'm from Cleveland).

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:02 am
CY is available in the Korgers (the main supermarket)

I like living here!
I miss having lots of restaurants in theory, though I find that when I am back in the big cities I dont enjoy them as much as I remember.

You can PM me if you have any questions

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:06 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:

Yes, it's only 2.5 hrs from "Jewish" Cleveland (did the drive MANY times since I'm from Cleveland).

on now you tell me Rolling Eyes

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:22 am
I lived in Columbus for a few months not too long ago. We did not live in the Jewish/frum area of Columbus, so I am not very familiar with the shuls and social scene there, but I did drive to get kosher food weekly. AFAIK, there is no dedicated kosher store. There used to be one, I believe, but it closed down.

There is a fairly good kosher section at the local Kroger supermarket. They have CY milk and cheese and some frozen products. They also have meat and chicken. The kosher deli counter makes take out CY pizzas and has other stuff, too (maybe some salads, but I cannot remember exactly). They also sell a small selection of Judaica items (negel vasser kelim, books, holiday stuff, etc.).

There is a kosher pas yisroel bakery down the street from Kroger. They sell most basic bakery things: challah, sliced bread, bagels, cookies, cakes, and other sweet things. Kroger sells their stuff, but it is cheaper when bought directly from the bakery.

Many people who live there do drive to Cleveland or Cincinnati from time to time. Cincinnati is closer than Cleveland (under 2 hours) and the selection is much better than in Columbus, but I cannot say how it compares to Cleveland.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:12 am
Thank you very much for all the info!

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:29 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I lived in Columbus for a few months not too long ago. We did not live in the Jewish/frum area of Columbus, so I am not very familiar with the shuls and social scene there, but I did drive to get kosher food weekly. AFAIK, there is no dedicated kosher store. There used to be one, I believe, but it closed down.
There is a fairly good kosher section at the local Kroger supermarket. They have CY milk and cheese and some frozen products. They also have meat and chicken. The kosher deli counter makes take out CY pizzas and has other stuff, too (maybe some salads, but I cannot remember exactly).

Right now I dont think there is a need as krogers has most everything that the small kosher store had and more. There are some brand they dont carry, but if enough people ask they work on getting it. The only time I am a bit let down is pesach time and they are doing their best now, they even sent out a community wide email with a survey asking what we felt was missing last pesach and what we normally buy so they can make sure to have what we need.

BinahYeteirah wrote:

They also sell a small selection of Judaica items (negel vasser kelim, books, holiday stuff, etc.).

That is just a courtesy its from the Judaic store, different than I was used to but a nice thing to have when you can get a cookbook at the supermarket LOL

BinahYeteirah wrote:

There is a kosher pas yisroel bakery down the street from Kroger. They sell most basic bakery things: challah, sliced bread, bagels, cookies, cakes, and other sweet things. Kroger sells their stuff, but it is cheaper when bought directly from the bakery.

Many people who live there do drive to Cleveland or Cincinnati from time to time. Cincinnati is closer than Cleveland (under 2 hours) and the selection is much better than in Columbus, but I cannot say how it compares to Cleveland.

Ikea is in Cincinnati and there is an major outlet mall on the road between Columbus and Cinci and so we have gone there a few times.

If you want to visit or spend a shabbat here I can set you up Smile There are many families who would love to host anyone wishing to check out our community!

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:33 am
JC wrote:

If you want to visit or spend a shabbat here I can set you up Smile There are many families who would love to host anyone wishing to check out our community!

what if we just wanna check you out ?! Twisted Evil

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:45 am
Thank you very much! I will make sure to contact you if we will come to check it out! How are the jewish schools?

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:45 am
greenfire wrote:
JC wrote:

Well that is fine too, but a stay at my home means no CY and my if my kids get too comfortable with you they may streak across the hall in their bday suits at night.
Oh and a its a long walk to shul... give me a few more months and I will be living a block from shul with a large private guest room and my doors will be open for any who want to visit.

Just be forewarned that some of the people in Columbus have threatened to walk around with boobs hanging out and I like to be oggled by closet lesbians so I dont feel old anymore LOL
We are an interesting bunch but dont worry there are plenty of TOTALLY NORMAL people here too, we are just more fun :LOL:

There was talk about a meet last year anyone still interested?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:48 am
How much would a 3 bedroom apartment cost over there? Would you consider it an expensive city?

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you very much! I will make sure to contact you if we will come to check it out! How are the jewish schools?

We have the orthodox school which is a community dayschool. It is by charter a Modern Orthodox school and we have far right religious to barely observant. The school makes accommodations for all types and is trying to be a school for everyone. It is different than an intown school and that may be an adjustment for some, but the school is working hard at making the diversity work.
The school is a traditional school in terms of educational philosophy and they have a resource room for english and judaics and are good about getting kids the help or the extra boost they need depending on their abilities

There is also another option which is egalitarian, but there are a few orthodox families there... its more of a crunchy tree hugging experience but they teach a great love for being Jewish but very progressive and the stress is more about middos and being a good jew than being a practicing jew, but the family that send their kids there live religion at home so it works out for them. The children do transition nicely to CTA when they switch over.
Both schools work really hard with parents to make things work for every family and every child. I am sometimes shocked at the disconnect I read about in other schools as I can walk in any day and eavesdrop on my kids class talk to a teacher and sit down with a principle. I sometimes just drop by for lunch and eat a meal together with my kids. Many parents work or volunteer in the school so its a usual occurrence, not an embarrassment - and bringing a cool dessert helps keep them from shunning you well into the preteen years when the boys would normally cringe at their parents showing up.

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
How much would a 3 bedroom apartment cost over there? Would you consider it an expensive city?

Since you eat CY I am guessing you would be most likely looking at Ahavas for shul for the least amount of culter shock LOL. Thats on Broad street and Admore
I go to Main street (Torat Emet) which is YU affiliated

Here are some of the home listings

The homes near Ahavas are in Bexley which is more expensive and with higher taxes (first 2 links) there are soo many people living in Eastmore bec of the nice homes and low taxes that is where the critcal mass of the right wing are living they all walk to shul a bit more than you might be used to if your from Bklyn. There is also Berwick which has nice homes and more land and even cheaper prices but fewer people living on that side of town.
http://her.realliving.com/Prop.....50420
http://her.realliving.com/Prop.....74358
http://her.realliving.com/Prop.....86503
http://her.realliving.com/Prop.....72880

Those are a few there are a lot more options both more and less expensive. There is also a places you can rent until you figure out where you want to be.

marina

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 1:09 pm
I live here. My family keeps CY. All my kids go to the school here. Rent is relatively cheap. We are paying 1100 for an entire entire house per month. pm me if you want more information

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 1:30 pm
JC wrote:
greenfire wrote:
JC wrote:

Well that is fine too, but a stay at my home means no CY and my if my kids get too comfortable with you they may streak across the hall in their bday suits at night.
Oh and a its a long walk to shul... give me a few more months and I will be living a block from shul with a large private guest room and my doors will be open for any who want to visit.

Just be forewarned that some of the people in Columbus have threatened to walk around with boobs hanging out and I like to be oggled by closet lesbians so I dont feel old anymore LOL
We are an interesting bunch but dont worry there are plenty of TOTALLY NORMAL people here too, we are just more fun :LOL:

There was talk about a meet last year anyone still interested?

you don't scare me - BOO !!!

Sparkle

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 3:33 pm
We are in the kollel here - feel free to PM me if you need anything.

chanala

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 12:56 am
I miss Columbus - guess who I am Smile

chavamom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:04 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
AFAIK, there is no dedicated kosher store. There used to be one, I believe, but it closed down.

There is a fairly good kosher section at the local Kroger supermarket. They have CY milk and cheese and some frozen products. They also have meat and chicken. The kosher deli counter makes take out CY pizzas and has other stuff, too (maybe some salads, but I cannot remember exactly). They also sell a small selection of Judaica items (negel vasser kelim, books, holiday stuff, etc.).

Actually, I think the former kosher store bought that space in Krogers? That's what someone there told me, at least. We stop there on our way to the Catskills every year - take out pizza!

Jeanette

Post Sun, Mar 03 2013, 1:55 pm
marina wrote:
I live here. My family keeps CY. All my kids go to the school here. Rent is relatively cheap. We are paying 1100 for an entire entire house per month. pm me if you want more information

Where are these houses for rent for 1100/mo? I checked Trulia.com and craigslist and I see no houses at all for rent in the frum neighborhood, except for one that from the pictures does not look like a place I'd want to live in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating